Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 12:38 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,996,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I only have the one brother and I no longer speak to him, his wife or their children..............because of money.

When I was involved with them, all they ever did was cry poor mouth and ask me to loan them money.........which I foolishly did. When they came into a little money and I asked them to repay some of the money they borrowed............well, no can do..........so that was the end of it all for me.

When I die, there will be a substantial estate.........and my brother and his family will never see a penny of it. My two best friends will be taken care of and the bulk of it is going to my local animal rescue group.

I feel so much better now...........like a heavy weight has been lifted.

I no longer cringe when the phone rings...........knowing I will be dragged into negativity and drama..........and asked for money.

I am also at peace knowing that the money I worked so hard to save will do good things and not be spent foolishly.
Wait Annie, can I ask you some questions?

Why are you going to leave money for your friends? Did you not ever have any children or husband? Were they really that good of friends and why?

Have you ever given money to your friends and have they always returned what they borrowed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 12:41 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,630,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post

Why are you going to leave money for your friends? Did you not ever have any children or husband? Were they really that good of friends and why?

Have you ever given money to your friends and have they always returned what they borrowed?
I would think my money would go to my funeral costs.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:08 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
As much as my family annoys me at times there is no-one I don't talk to. I sometimes don't speak with one of my sisters for a year at a time but that's her fault, not mine.

My SO hasn't spoken to his mother for over 20 years, ever since she gave him up to be a ward of the state at the age of 14. It's very sad.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I would think my money would go to my funeral costs.
Yeah, but you are not the poster I was asking.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:30 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,630,543 times
Quote:
Yeah, but you are not the poster I was asking.
I am aware of that. I was just agreeing with you.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:47 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:

I have no children. I was married a long time ago. My ex-husband died about 10 years after we divorced.

My two best friends are a gay couple. I have known them for 31 years.

Whenever I have needed help, my friends have always been there for me..........no questions asked and with a good attitude. They even did things for my father........all I had to do was ask.

Years ago, my friends put in my landscaping for me, re-did my bathroom for me, helped me paint, ran right over when my basement flooded.........you name it, they did it..........and never asked for money.

Now, years later, I am much better off financially, {I invested VERY well}, they lost good paying jobs and their income has plummeted, though they still work. They have borrowed money here and there over the years and always paid me back.....without me asking. In the last few years, I have GIVEN them money for emergencies like veterinary care, late morgage payments, etc. I told them they do not have to pay me back because I know how bad their finances are........they didn't ask. They do not waste their money foolishly, I see this first hand.

Whenever I have called my brother for help, I have gotten bitching and moaning. "Can't you find someone else to do it? How much can you pay me?", etc. I took care of our elderly parents with very little help from my brother. He would help when I told him he HAD TO.........and it was like pulling teeth. I took them to doctor appointments and sat in hospitals for hours on end........all by myself. I missed work.......not my brother.

He has a good paying job and his wife works part time, yet they needed money because they were being sued for unpaid bills. They have always had the highest speed internet available, the top of the line TV package, they have always had cell phones for the children, even when they were only 8 and 9 years old.............things I still won't waste money on to this day. They put up a HUGE out building to house two elderly horses that her father had........a small building would have been just fine. Vinyl fencing instead of regular fencing for a big pasture. The children play all kinds of sports and take all kinds of lessons and have all of the latest electronic goodies............things that you shouldn't be spending money on instead of paying your bills.

Bottom line, my friends have always been there for me.......willingly, and my brother never has.

Oh, to top it all off...........even though my gay friends did MANY things for our father.........my brother doesn't like them, because they are gay......... and he is teaching the same attitude to his children.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:15 PM

^Well I am sorry that you have such a scumbag for a brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships