Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 03:35 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times

Advertisements

In other words, is it a reasonable defense to say, "Oh, they are just being a teenager."

Do teenagers, in general make many errors in logic and judgment? Is that just "normal?"

I know there will be teenagers who will say they are perfectly rational.

I am just trying to figure out whether or not to give a teenager a break for bad behavior or if they should be held accountable the way an adult would be held accountable . . .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 03:39 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
In other words, is it a reasonable defense to say, "Oh, they are just being a teenager."

Do teenagers, in general make many errors in logic and judgment? Is that just "normal?"

I know there will be teenagers who will say they are perfectly rational.

I am just trying to figure out whether or not to give a teenager a break for bad behavior or if they should be held accountable the way an adult would be held accountable . . .

No passes. They should appologize for any lapses in judgement and learn from their mistakes. They should make restitution where possible.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:41 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,640,814 times
A break?

No you shouldn't give teens a break for bad behavior. They need structure and discipline, and a wise authority or role model to give it to them. Of course they should be held accountable. That's what instills a strong sense of responsibility in them when they understand the reality of action and consequence. Whether they should be held by the same degree as full grown adults, that would depend on their age. Surely a 17 year-old knows just as much what's right from wrong as an 18 year-old.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:56 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
To an extent. There are some things that are 'stupid teenager' behaviors like, say, mooning the principal. Then there are things like murder and rape which some apologists think are committed without recognition of the consequences of those actions

Frankly when I was 15 I knew it was bad to kill and rape and generally be evil. Even if you grew up around a crime-ridden environment you'd have to know it was bad from the way people committing those crimes would usually end up riding in a squad car to prison.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:10 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Parents are still responsible for behavior correction, as well as instilling proper values and correct thinking in their teens.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:17 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
I think that teenagers are quite rational at this age, so they shouldn't get any pass or break. If they're really unsure about something, it's best to ask their parents or an adult in whom they trust.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:28 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
What about being totally self-centered and selfish - normal for the age or not?

I know when I was 17, I was totally self-absorbed and probably not capable of truly thinking about others . . .

Old 12-26-2010, 04:32 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
What about being totally self-centered and selfish - normal for the age or not?

I know when I was 17, I was totally self-absorbed and probably not capable of truly thinking about others . . .
I think it all depends upon how they were raised. There's a certain normalcy in being self-absorbed at that age - it's a "phase that they're going through". But I also don't think that would be a valid excuse for inappropriate behavior.

Being a teen is tough, no matter what generation you grow up in.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:38 PM

90 posts, read 321,559 times
The brain of a human doesn't fully develop until approximately 25-30. The frontal lobes, in which executive functions are attributes, is the last part of the brain to develop. Executive functions includes planning, organization, impulse control, and more. When this is considered, an adolescent has the capacity to think, reason, and carry out activities, but their course in doing the same may be erratic. Having said this, it's no excuse for poor behavior. Teens should be encouraged to slow down, consider all options, make a reasoned choice, and accept the benefits of the same. If it is a good choice, there will be positive benefits. If it is a bad choice, they should reap the consequences. There should be no break in being a teen, just the benefit of consequences for good or bad behavior and the thought that you can always do it better again. That thought should carry any human into maturity.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:59 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
I expect less from teens than I do from adults so I guess you can say I am moremforgiving when it comes to things like social etiquette and maturity. Often a 19 year may say something on this very forum that is ridiculous, but I'll take that into consideration because you have to consider the source and make certain allowances. I don't expect a teen to share the same wisdom and judgment as an40 year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships