Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:27 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
I am so glad you shared your story!! I am a TRUE believer that although our bodies may die, our spirits continue to live on. I have had many experiences since my mom passed 8 years ago. But I will share my most recent one from a few weeks ago.

I hadn't visited my mother's grave in quite some time. I always feel down around the holiday season (especially since my mom passed 12/21). So on Christmas Day, I suddenly felt the urge to visit her grave site. I was feeling very upset, emotional, depressed, etc while I was driving over there.

However, once I got there, parked my car and walked over, I suddenly felt this wash of calmness and relief come over me. I felt light, giddy and started giggling. I said to myself "Ok mom, your telling me your around and your feeling great!". I then got a waft of "Oil of Olay" coming through the wind. Oil of Olay was a lotion my mom wore my entire life. I knew right there and then that she was alive and well and was always by my side.

Some people don't believe in this. But I can tell you it is true and it has happened not only to me, but to my sister as well....
thats amazing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 01:41 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
I don't want to live in a world where she is no longer around.
It's not a good world... I can confirm that from experience. However, just remember that's not what your Mom would want for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoptstrays View Post
She passed on a Sunday at 7:28 in the evening..I was home that night sobbing..finally at about 10:30pm I went into my living room and sat down..just staring at the walls..At 11:00pm on the dot..my phone rang. ONCE.

She'd let me know she'd made it home ok!!!! I knew then..that everything would be ok. She was home, with my Dad, and I'd see her again. Because now I had proof that she was ok and happy and she made sure to let me know.
This is so strange... I remember Sifu had a similar experience (there have been other threads on the topic).

Old 01-13-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I then got a waft of "Oil of Olay" coming through the wind. Oil of Olay was a lotion my mom wore my entire life. I knew right there and then that she was alive and well and was always by my side.

Some people don't believe in this. But I can tell you it is true and it has happened not only to me, but to my sister as well....
Well, the smell IS something you might've imagined... I can relate to the rest of the experience, though. It's happened to me, too.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:56 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,330,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It's not a good world... I can confirm that from experience. However, just remember that's not what your Mom would want for you!
This past weekend, an acquaintance of mine lost his father to a heart attack. 1 day later, a large wake was held. I'm not even that close to the guy, but out of respect (he emailed many people and I was included, notifying everybody of the passing and of the wake), I went.

As we all walked by to pay respects to the father's body, there was a large slideshow playing. Many photographs of the guy as a boy w/ his dad.

I was touched. I thought of my own parents. That's why I said what I say. Telling my mother (and father) I love them NOW WHILE I CAN so I have no regrets later.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:17 PM

593 posts, read 1,795,142 times
I lost my Mother in Feb '09 and I'm still trying to get over her death. I lost my Dad when I was 27 and it was hard..but losing my Mom at 54 was brutal. I'm grateful I had her that long, but that doesn't take away the fact we all need a MOM...I was diagnosed with cancer 2 days after she died of it and walked through my house calling out for her...I so needed her during that time..I have hopes of seeing that lady again someday in heaven...I know she's with her LORD she served her whole 88 years...

Old 01-13-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
As we all walked by to pay respects to the father's body, there was a large slideshow playing. Many photographs of the guy as a boy w/ his dad.
I don't like the way many things are done here, but this would be one of the exceptions. I just went fairly recently for the first time to a memorial service for a coworker. Back in my home country we have what you'd call a wake, I guess, at home and a funeral. Both are solemn and sad events. Ironically, I haven't been even to one, my parents' funerals included, as people have to be buried the following day and I had no way of making it even if I left the second I heard. In a way I'm glad to remember them alive and also glad to have listened to my gut feeling and seen them a few months earlier.

I kind of like the celebration of life done here - just like last night in Tucson. On the political forum many were calling the memorial a "rock concert," but I think it showed respect for the dead while celebrating their lives at the same time.

Quote:
I was touched. I thought of my own parents. That's why I said what I say. Telling my mother (and father) I love them NOW WHILE I CAN so I have no regrets later.
Yeah, you got that right. I was annoyed by an ex of mine who was constantly pestering my parents and me one summer back home all the time with a camcorder. Now I'm extremely grateful for having these tapes.

It was extremely hard saying "good-bye" to still alive people knowing fully well it was final, though... All 3 of us knew it, but we all pretended it wasn't the case...

Old 01-13-2011, 04:04 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, the smell IS something you might've imagined... I can relate to the rest of the experience, though. It's happened to me, too.
I am glad you can relate to my experience. As far as the smell goes, sure I could have imagined it. But Oil of Olay has a very distinctive smell. I definetely smelled it. Also, I have been struck by this smell in other circumstances thinking of her or missing my mom. I know it's her letting me know she is around.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:06 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
thats amazing
Thank you

Old 01-13-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I am glad you can relate to my experience. As far as the smell goes, sure I could have imagined it. But Oil of Olay has a very distinctive smell. I definetely smelled it. Also, I have been struck by this smell in other circumstances thinking of her or missing my mom. I know it's her letting me know she is around.
Lucky you... I don't think my Mom is around. On second thought, she better not be around (considering my circumstances)...

I only had one experience like that and it was a long time ago. I woke up thinking of her and the whole day every little thing was going my way. It felt like having a guardian angel around. I remember thinking that maybe that's how most days feel to other people... Must be great...

Old 01-13-2011, 06:34 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Allow me to be a little stupid.

I wrote a poem for her. Here it is. Thanks for indulging me a little, guys.

We're alone. Just the two of us.
It's going to be a perfect goodbye.
Un hindered by the indignities
Your stubbourn
It's the way you wanted it.

Fifty five years ago
You brought me life
You gave me your heart
and soul
and eternal, unconditional love.

And now, I give you the comfort of a gentle hand
a strong shoulder
a peaceful farewell.

I see in you
a mirror of my own face
Twenty-eight years down the road
May I have given so much
laughter and joy
to the world
when my light is forever dimmed

i hold your hand
you know im here
i told you i would be

somehow in a world of billions
its always been just you and me
i love you mommy and i always will.

there are no more words.

That poem is SO touching! You should print it out and frame it. I had tears in my eyes when I read it.

I'm sorry to say I've never felt that way towards my mother and neither has she felt that way towards me. Quite sad.

But I can relate to this poem because I have a bond so strong with my daughter that it will be difficult for both of us when my time comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships