U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 06:21 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,794,735 times

Advertisements

Personally, I am as punctual as a Swiss watch on most occasions if I can help it. I don't like to wait for people, but I don't like making people wait either.

Do you consider it important, when you plan social outings with friends, to be on time? Are you the type of person who does not like to wait?

Another trend that I don't like but I get the impression of is happening that it seems with cell phones and texting, it's more socially acceptable to not be resolute with your plans and that there's supposedly less offence taken if you're late or even cancel a rather short time beforehand, because, or (at least how it's supposed to go) it's expected that you can call, text or message in late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 06:28 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,632,029 times
Because I cannot be in touch with people most of the time, I make it a point not to be late. Like you said, being able to call/text does lighten the pressure because you can get in touch to say you're running late, but since I can't do that most of the time, I still have the full-blown pressure to be on time that people had before cell phones. As a result, I usually end up showing up to wherever I have to be early, since it's better to err on the side of early than late.

In a public place, I cannot look or ask around for someone if they are late so I really appreciate it when my friends aren't late either. They have to find me cause I can't find them, so it's extremely nerve-racking for me to be waiting for someone to touch me as I notice the minutes passing on my watch.

When waiting at home, I have to stand by the door to feel any visitors knocking so if anyone is late, I end up standing at the door for anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, sometimes up to an hour and a half. Needless to say, I hate when people are late. If I'm waiting at home I can check my email to see if they texted me, but if I go to my computer, I'm not at the door and I might miss them knocking.

Striving for punctuality is the best IMO. It allows everyone to be more relaxed.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:50 PM

3,160 posts, read 6,943,288 times
If someone cannot be on time, it's an absolute deal breaker for me. There is almost never an excuse for being late. I am usually 30 minutes early to every appointment, no matter what. By making someone wait for you, you're essentially saying, "I'm selfish. My time is important, your time is not."

When I have been in a supervisory position over employees, I was very lax in most things, but told them up front, "I value punctuality above anything else. If you're late more than once, you're fired." And they were.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:57 PM

380 posts, read 591,594 times
Ironically the people I know who are most glued to their cellphones are the people I least expect to be courteous in this regard. Perhaps there's a correlation with people needing to look and feel more "in demand", important? I think so, because there's less guesswork with others not so obsessed with their phones.

Unfortunately what I've noticed on a consistent basis lately is that people tend to take their friends (likewise family) more for granted.
The "oh it's just them, they can wait" way of thinking.

However
, you can bet they'll be calling you with second-to-second updates of their time frame if they happen to be in the face-to-face presence of somebody else!!!

Old 01-11-2011, 07:01 PM

380 posts, read 591,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I still have the full-blown pressure to be on time that people had before cell phones. As a result, I usually end up showing up to wherever I have to be early, since it's better to err on the side of early than late ...

Striving for punctuality is the best IMO. It allows everyone to be more relaxed.

I'm with you!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF4256 View Post
Unfortunately what I've noticed on a consistent basis lately is that people tend to take their friends (likewise family) more for granted.
The "oh it's just them, they can wait" way of thinking.
I've noticed this too. And yet they will stress over getting to a doctor's appointment on time. Hello, doctors are notorious for making you wait forever. How is getting to a doctor's appointment on time more important than getting to a meet-up with family/friends on time?

Old 01-11-2011, 08:16 PM

3,771 posts, read 5,474,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
When waiting at home, I have to stand by the door to feel any visitors knocking so if anyone is late, I end up standing at the door for anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, sometimes up to an hour and a half. Needless to say, I hate when people are late. If I'm waiting at home I can check my email to see if they texted me, but if I go to my computer, I'm not at the door and I might miss them knocking.

Are you deaf? That's interesting if you are, that you have to sense the knocking. Are there doorbells that can be attached to lights, so they can flicker when someone rings the doorbell?

Old 01-11-2011, 08:18 PM

13,694 posts, read 15,641,777 times
I'm usually on time for get togethers and I don't like being later than 20 minutes ever.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:23 PM

8,680 posts, read 13,304,191 times
Nim, have you thought about getting a cell phone, just to get texts for stuff like this? You can set it to vibrate and put it on your lap or hold it in your hand when you're expecting people. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Just something with a vibrate function.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Are you deaf? That's interesting if you are, that you have to sense the knocking. Are there doorbells that can be attached to lights, so they can flicker when someone rings the doorbell?
Deaf-blind. Yes, there are doorbells that flash lights. For the deaf-blind there's a device called an AlertMaster that vibrates when the phone rings or the doorbell rings. I tried emailing Deaf/blind services 3 times to get in touch but heard nothing from them. Anyway I'm moving soon but when we move I'm going to make sure to get an AlertMaster! Though I will still prefer to have my friends show up on time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne
Nim, have you thought about getting a cell phone, just to get texts for stuff like this? You can set it to vibrate and put it on your lap or hold it in your hand when you're expecting people. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Just something with a vibrate function.
Yes, but I have no way to check it. They're working on a braille phone at the moment though, so hopefully sometime soon!

Even with texting and cell phones, I think being as punctual as possible is better. I know people are late sometimes and things happen, but there are people who are late every time, and I don't think there's any excuse for that. They just need to learn to allow themselves more time to get ready, commute, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships