Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:26 PM

213 posts, read 671,775 times

Advertisements

I recieved a facebook request from my dad...lol. First i'm surprised he has a page at all and secondly, I'm not sure if I want to accept his invite, but I still love him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 07:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,523,977 times
Hah. My parents would have to A. own a computer B. have internet access. Neither of which is the case.

Oh, and C. be interested in spending time online, which wouldn't happen, because if that were a want of theirs, A and B would be true.

I do have my boyfriend's mom on my friends list, and all three of his living grandparents. I have every single one of my siblings and sibling-in-laws who has a facebook page, and most of my cousins and aunts and uncles, though. Some of SO's, too.

We live 500-1500 miles away from nearly everyone in our respective families. Facebook helps us stay in touch immeasurably. It's how I see photos and videos of my infant niece and nephews, etc. There's no reason for us NOT to add our family members if they are able to and want to use facebook.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:34 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,471,445 times
I wish parents wouldn't do that. I worked with a woman once that knew exactly everything her daughter wrote on fb because it came up on her phone. She would text or add some stupid comment ASAP. Really? This person really needed to get a life and leave her children alone.

On saying that, my daughter asked me if I wanted to be her friend on fb when she first started a couple of years ago. I really have no idea whether I'm still her friend or not on fb because I don't go into her page and look and see what she's doing. That's her space and her time with her friends. I trust her so I don't need to be one of the "girls" or know exactly what she's doing.

I don't know what to tell you. That's a hard call.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:38 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,789,273 times
Good lord, no!

Old 02-12-2011, 07:53 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,010,867 times
No problem. You can always hide posts you dont wish your parents to see from them, thats what my kids do and it bothers me not at all. There are things parents shouldnt know about their kids and vice versa. Mine are older though and realize that their parents are people too so having us on facebook isnt as creepy as it might be for the younger kids. To be sure I did not ask my kids, they friended me. I figured if they wanted to share that space they would, if not, not.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:09 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,793,480 times
No. TMI.
And while I can access my minor child's site - I have defriended her - much like my parents - she should have no visibility to what I share on FB.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:11 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,471,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
No problem. You can always hide posts you dont wish your parents to see from them, thats what my kids do and it bothers me not at all. There are things parents shouldnt know about their kids and vice versa. Mine are older though and realize that their parents are people too so having us on facebook isnt as creepy as it might be for the younger kids. To be sure I did not ask my kids, they friended me. I figured if they wanted to share that space they would, if not, not.
My kids also. I know I am on their fb but I know that they hide posts from me which I think they should. I don't need to know everything about them as well as they don't need to know everything I say and do too.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:35 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,157,332 times
My mom has facebook, which is one of the main reasons I abstain from it.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:41 PM

37,565 posts, read 45,928,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere1782 View Post
I recieved a facebook request from my dad...lol. First i'm surprised he has a page at all and secondly, I'm not sure if I want to accept his invite, but I still love him.
Of course! Both my mother and my son are on my FB "friends" list.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:47 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,523,977 times
Hah, yeah, it probably merits mentioning that I'm in my thirties, not a child, and I have an adult relationship with my parents, and other family members, and family members of my SO. I'm kind of past the point of not wanting the grownups to see pics of me drinking, not to mention kind of past the point of plastering evidence of debauchery all over social media...actually, we never DID have a big "I don't want you to know what goes on in my life" relationship, even when I WAS a teen/college student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships