Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:54 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times

Advertisements

I think personality is just a default answer someone gives to describe why they like (or don't like) someone. I'm not talking about friends, I'm talking about someone liking (or not liking) someone as romantic relationship material.

When I think about it, I've never heard someone explain why they like/dislike someone's personality. They just say "I like his/her personality"

Is this just something people say when they can't think of a reason? Or is it just hard to put the reason into words, so that's why they say personality (if that's the case, I can somewhat understand)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 10:04 AM

420 posts, read 877,527 times
If I say that about a woman, Its just saying whether I find her physically attractive or not, the friendly way she behaves and treats people, is. When it's a guy, its about how cool and easy to get along with he is, without always having to prove he's harder than everyone, which I suspect is really insecurity.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:07 AM

20 posts, read 18,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Is this just something people say when they can't think of a reason? Or is it just hard to put the reason into words, so that's why they say personality (if that's the case, I can somewhat understand)?
Don't know about others (don't care much about knowing either) but for me its 50/50. Personality does go a long way, and to be honest the slightest thing in a personality can turn me off.

For example, I'm a bit complex in this regard but when someone of the opposite sex uses profanity of any kind or any vulgar word, it really turns me off, don't know why but it really does. I also don't like gutter minded personalities either, where perverted jokes and all that are funny and stuff. To me it just comes off as "unhygenic" or so, and its just a turn off for me at least.

So yes, now that I've described why personality matters (to me at least) I can answer your question saying, yes personality (again for me) really does matter.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:08 AM

This just reminds me of when I was a high school freshman and my classmates said they liked a girl's personality when really they were just lusting after her and they didn't want to admit they only liked her for her looks.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:13 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
I think personality is just a default answer someone gives to describe why they like (or don't like) someone. I'm not talking about friends, I'm talking about someone liking (or not liking) someone as romantic relationship material.

When I think about it, I've never heard someone explain why they like/dislike someone's personality. They just say "I like his/her personality"

Google, "personality" and you'll find all the information you seek. If you've seriously never heard someone explain why they like/dislike someone's personality then you've not got out and about much or else just haven't asked the question. Next time the phrase comes up with respect to any one individual then ask the person who said it why they came to that conclusion. Pretty simple.

I like Jane Doe's personality because her sense of humor appeals to me, her optimistic outlook on life appeals to me, she's an interesting woman who's been around the block a few times and is very nice to be around, etc.

I don't like John Doe's personality because he whines all the time about how life has treated him so poorly, has a list of pet peeves a mile long which he repeats incessantly, is an incessant talker but not a listener and generally is very boorish and negative, etc.

Next?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:14 AM

I think some girls might use personality as a reason to reject a boy because they think there's something else wrong with him but they just want to sound nice

Old 03-28-2011, 10:15 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:

Is this just something people say when they can't think of a reason?
No, of course not. Personality is the reason. When you're planning on spending a lot of time with a person, his personality is the biggest thing, really.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:17 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
People's attraction to someone else's personality varies for each individual. What I would consider a complete A**wipe might be appealing to someone else I know.

It's easier to describe this way. Many women have cosmetic surgery on their appearance but some have their heads filled with helium and she spends considerable amounts of time talking about herself. Yeah, she looks good, but her personality sucks.

A person can be highly educated and knowledgeable about something but their attitude and deliery of that knowledge is really in your face - that person may be smart but their personality sucks or they are just too abrasive in your opinion. Another person may be more in tune with that person's personality and never see it the way you do.

Personality requirements, much like physical attributes, are tailored to each individual and their likes and dislikes.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Google, "personality" and you'll find all the information you seek. If you've seriously never heard someone explain why they like/dislike someone's personality then you've not got out and about much or else just haven't asked the question. Next time the phrase comes up with respect to any one individual then ask the person who said it why they came to that conclusion. Pretty simple.
In high school, a lot of people used personality as a reason they liked someone, but they never gave an explanation.

I didn't want to ask because that might sound confrontational, especially if they didn't have a reason and they were just saying personality because they thought that would be a reason they wouldn't need to explain

Old 03-28-2011, 10:18 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,195,755 times
Quote:
This just reminds me of when I was a high school freshman and my classmates said they liked a girl's personality when really they were just lusting after her and they didn't want to admit they only liked her for her looks.
yes guys look at girls and lust after them. they want sex, sex and more sex because it feels so darn good. that's why we try to have it as much as we can. it's fun and it feels great!!!! plus if you're lucky enough to find someone you are in love with you get the natural bond that comes with having tons of sex. so you get the fun and unbelievably great feeling of having sex and you get closer to your spouse/lover. it's one of the greatest gifts we have as human beings. sex ! Sex, try it, you'll like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships