U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 03:50 PM

6,046 posts, read 6,281,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
Yep, that's how embarrassing photos start making the rounds on the internet and can go on forever & ever & ever, and things you thought were private aren't.
I hear universities and employers are checking out applicants by visiting their FB, Twitter, etc accounts.
With universities, they can make a profile on the university network and see the student's profile if the student joined the network (unless, of course, the student jacks up their privacy settings).

So it's not a surprise that universities have access to student's profiles.

But I wonder about employers, and I've heard mixed answers.

Some people say the employers somehow get access to profiles. One explanation I heard was "If the employer knows someone that works for facebook, they can get access to anyone's profile."

But if your privacy settings don't allow random people to see your profile, how would an employer be able to see your profile?

When I go to certain people's profiles and I'm not their friend, I can only see whatever their privacy settings allow me to see. So how would employers get around that and get access to people's profiles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 04:41 PM

3,339 posts, read 3,002,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Some people say the employers somehow get access to profiles. One explanation I heard was "If the employer knows someone that works for facebook, they can get access to anyone's profile."
That's something I wondered as well. I mean it makes sense if it's the case that the boss really does know someone who can help do the favour, but are there really that many employers all around who just so happen to know someone who works for Facebook, and that that that "someone they know" is willing to go do that favour?

Old 06-11-2011, 04:41 PM

13,387 posts, read 10,020,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Woman View Post
I know I will regret responding to this, but here goes:

This happened three years ago! Move on with your life and quit obsessing over things you cannot change! Have you ever read the
Quote:
Serenity Prayer
??? You might consider it.

"Serenity Prayer"

Quote:
"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference"
Although known most widely in its abbreviated form above,
(the entire prayer reads as follows...)

Quote:
"Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next"
Amen.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:45 PM

I have also noticed that people are more private now on Facebook. I have barely used it anyways now, other than to talk to old friends I went to school with, or are living in another country, and who I can't talk to as easily with other means (and they often so happen to just contact me through the private message function, as much as through the more open wall communication).

Old 06-12-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
That's something I wondered as well. I mean it makes sense if it's the case that the boss really does know someone who can help do the favour, but are there really that many employers all around who just so happen to know someone who works for Facebook, and that that that "someone they know" is willing to go do that favour?
And like I said, I've heard mixed answers. One person said employers can get access to anyone's profile if they know someone that works for facebook. But another person said the typical facebook employee doesn't even have access to everyone's profiles.

I've also heard people say employers get access to profiles in other ways. But I'm not quite sure how an employer would get access to someone's profile if the privacy settings don't allow random people to see everything on the profile.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:09 AM

Something else I don't understand is why a drinking picture can cost someone a job.

I know someone that had a picture of himself doing a keg stand and people said he would have a hard time getting hired if the employer checked his profile. For what it's worth, he was old enough to drink.

But whether he put the picture up or not, that doesn't change the fact that he did a keg stand. So why would employers pretend it didn't happen if there's not a picture of it on facebook? Sure, the obvious answer might be "because the employer can't see it if he never put the picture up." But the point is they'd be willing to hire someone like that if they don't have a picture, so why would a picture cost someone the job?

It's like employers are willing to turn a blind eye on drinking as long as they don't see it. Their logic is "If I don't see it, it never happened"

I don't drink, but I don't think a picture like that should cost someone a job (especially since he was old enough).

Let's say job candidate A and job candidate B both play drinking games, but only one of them has a picture. Their behavior is no different. The only difference is one of them has a picture to prove he does it, and one of them doesn't.

As long as they're following the law, I think what someone does off the job is none of the employer's business. I don't see anything wrong with drug testing employees, since drugs are illegal. But as long as they're not showing up to work drunk, legal drinking shouldn't cost someone a job.

Last edited by city_data91; 06-12-2011 at 09:19 AM..

Old 06-12-2011, 09:27 AM

6,873 posts, read 3,574,774 times
I never get any Farmville updates. Is it because you subscribed?

Old 06-12-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
And like I said, I've heard mixed answers. One person said employers can get access to anyone's profile if they know someone that works for facebook. But another person said the typical facebook employee doesn't even have access to everyone's profiles.
Even if it's true that you can get access from knowing a Facebook employee, I find it really hard to imagine that so many people who just happen to be bosses, all over the US, and elsewhere in the world just happen to know one of them.

Quote:
I've also heard people say employers get access to profiles in other ways. But I'm not quite sure how an employer would get access to someone's profile if the privacy settings don't allow random people to see everything on the profile.
Yeah, and that I find hard to imagine, unless Facebook itself somehow gives special privilege to those who are employers just to help them access their prospective employees' private info, and in that case, if that was discovered, I am sure a lot of people would complain and not want to use Facebook anymore.

And I really don't see why Facebook would want to do that.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:49 PM

22,498 posts, read 27,128,506 times
Quote:
Something else I don't understand is why a drinking picture can cost someone a job.
Obviously you're either way out of touch or very innocent.

It's possible that FB has enabled subscribers to protect their personal data in the last couple of years but it was common knowledge when FB first hit the internet that many savvy major corporate employers did indeed check prospective employees' FB pages as part of the employment process.

At a time when silly college kids were posting pictures of themselves on the internet via FB and YouTube in various stages of undress, barfing in a toilet bowl with their undies in disarray showing everything, and/or passed out in the name of "humor", many who were at the same time applying for corporate positions were passed over.

As an employer, albeit a very small fish in a big sea, whoever works for me is a representative of my establishment. If someone who's working for me gets stupid drunk and/or belligerent when they're not on the job, it reflects upon me and my business when they drunkenly blurt out, "Oh yeah, I work for ****** at *******, etc.

Since you've never had a job and have never been either an employee or an employer I wouldn't necessarily expect you to understand this but hopefully you'll learn something along the way.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Obviously you're either way out of touch or very innocent.

It's possible that FB has enabled subscribers to protect their personal data in the last couple of years but it was common knowledge when FB first hit the internet that many savvy major corporate employers did indeed check prospective employees' FB pages as part of the employment process.

At a time when silly college kids were posting pictures of themselves on the internet via FB and YouTube in various stages of undress, barfing in a toilet bowl with their undies in disarray showing everything, and/or passed out in the name of "humor", many who were at the same time applying for corporate positions were passed over.

As an employer, albeit a very small fish in a big sea, whoever works for me is a representative of my establishment. If someone who's working for me gets stupid drunk and/or belligerent when they're not on the job, it reflects upon me and my business when they drunkenly blurt out, "Oh yeah, I work for ****** and *******, etc.

Since you've never had a job and have never been either an employee or an employer I wouldn't necessarily expect you to understand this but hopefully you'll learn something along the way.
My point was if someone doesn't put drunk pictures on facebook, they might get drunk and you would never know. So they could still get drunk and say they work for you, even though they don't have drunk pictures on facebook.

And unless you're around your employees 24/7, you can't be sure what they do when they're off the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships