U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 08:08 AM

9,729 posts, read 18,433,504 times

Advertisements

Over 8 yrs ago i had a falling out big time with my niece. She moved out of state, married & had 4 children (1, 3, 5, 7) The 7 y/o is her step son. My niece & her family are here in ca on vacation & i met them for lunch yesterday. It was a bit of a strange feeling seeing her married with 4 kids but i was pleasantly surprised. My niece & i have mended the wounds (slowly but surely) & she has a terrific husband & 4 adorable children. Her 3 y/o daughter looks like her when she was 3 yrs old. They leave ca to go back home next fri & i hope to see them at least one more time. Time really does heal wounds & my niece is a good mother, wife & all grown up. I cant change the past but life goes on & we dont live forever. I have no kids but if something ever happened to my niece & her hubby (god forbid) i would do my best to help raise them. They are my family after all. Anyways....has anyone else had a fallout with a family member or members & do you ever plan or hope to mend it someday ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 09:05 AM

12,886 posts, read 15,438,852 times
I've had occasional fallouts with family members over the years....but with a forgiving heart, and some time...they've always mended...Lifes too short to hold grudges.....

Old 06-24-2011, 09:15 AM

2,788 posts, read 4,402,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Over 8 yrs ago i had a falling out big time with my niece. She moved out of state, married & had 4 children (1, 3, 5, 7) The 7 y/o is her step son. My niece & her family are here in ca on vacation & i met them for lunch yesterday. It was a bit of a strange feeling seeing her married with 4 kids but i was pleasantly surprised. My niece & i have mended the wounds (slowly but surely) & she has a terrific husband & 4 adorable children. Her 3 y/o daughter looks like her when she was 3 yrs old. They leave ca to go back home next fri & i hope to see them at least one more time. Time really does heal wounds & my niece is a good mother, wife & all grown up. I cant change the past but life goes on & we dont live forever. I have no kids but if something ever happened to my niece & her hubby (god forbid) i would do my best to help raise them. They are my family after all. Anyways....has anyone else had a fallout with a family member or members & do you ever plan or hope to mend it someday ?

So what happened that you had a fallout with your niece..
I have had falling outs with my siblings..but never with their kids..
I love my nieces and nephews so much..

Old 06-24-2011, 11:44 AM

2,726 posts, read 4,515,287 times
Yes, I have with my in-laws. One is still very distant and I don't know if she chooses to be that way or if she doesn't realize that I have left the ball in her court. I guess she just needs more time to figure it out on her own.

Yes, life is short but I don't necessarily let go of grudges because of this reason. I let go because I have a tendency to find the good in what they were trying to do and say.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:35 PM

114 posts, read 194,533 times
yes, my husband and i just recently had a falling out with his mother for like the 3rd time in the past 8 years that we have been together, now we have finally made the chioce to no longer to be part of our lives because we feel it is not good for our kids to have her in and out of their lives it does nothing but hurt them and confuse them.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I've had occasional fallouts with family members over the years....but with a forgiving heart, and some time...they've always mended...Lifes too short to hold grudges.....
I sure wish everyone thought that way. It just takes time & patience.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:18 PM

630 posts, read 895,264 times
i havent talked to my sister in over a year. Irreconcilable differences.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenaus View Post
i havent talked to my sister in over a year. Irreconcilable differences.
I didnt talk to my sister for over a yr & she passed away before we could mend our relationship. I regret it to this day. Call your sis & work it out. Ok....

Old 06-24-2011, 10:18 PM

630 posts, read 895,264 times
im really sorry to hear about your loss steel. ..that's pretty tough. I may consider it. It's really complicated.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:30 PM

Life is complicated but do what your heart says. BTW....what relation am i to my nieces kids ? I think im a great uncle..right ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships