U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 12:34 PM

3,276 posts, read 4,604,808 times

Advertisements

I met someone recently and have seen her two times. She is moving from a temp apartment to a perm apartment. I offered to help her move. It's just boxes and I have more room in my car.

Helping people move is something old friends and relatives usually do. I don't mind doing this at all, obviously I offered. I'm just wondering if it is an unusual thing for me to offer only having known her for a couple week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 12:37 PM

2,179 posts, read 2,641,813 times
Not if you want to do a lot more than just get her re-situated..

I don't know, do you make a habit of putting yourself out for strangers?

Old 06-29-2011, 12:57 PM

9,656 posts, read 10,989,343 times
Default Why not?

If you are seeing this woman, whether romantic or on a friendship basis i see nothing wrong with being a gentleman. As i mentioned before in a few posts it is give and take in relationships. However, as you have just met just make sure she does not take advantage in some way..(borrowing cash, taking in her car for service, Feeding the cat 3 times a week etc..) Also, there should be a sign of appreciation from her for that, whether it is lunch, a beer or whatever. or some token of appreciation.

Other then that I do not see a problem.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:58 PM

3,276 posts, read 4,604,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Not if you want to do a lot more than just get her re-situated..

no i don't help people i don't know. i don't consider her a stranger tho.

she's new in town, otherwise i probably wouldn't offer

Old 06-29-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
no i don't help people i don't know. i don't consider her a stranger tho.

she's new in town, otherwise i probably wouldn't offer
Well, I mean, why are you asking this question? You suspect you got a thing for her? You're wondering why you would wake up one day and be such a Samaritan? You want to point out how much more generous you are than are most of us, or you want a pat on the back? I'd guess you find her attractive, am I wrong?

Old 06-29-2011, 01:14 PM

2,788 posts, read 3,923,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I met someone recently and have seen her two times. She is moving from a temp apartment to a perm apartment. I offered to help her move. It's just boxes and I have more room in my car.

Helping people move is something old friends and relatives usually do. I don't mind doing this at all, obviously I offered. I'm just wondering if it is an unusual thing for me to offer only having known her for a couple week.

I think it was quite nice of you..

Old 06-29-2011, 01:21 PM

42,837 posts, read 73,201,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Why do you ask rhetorical questions...?! Only when they happen to be pretty girls, of course!

Old 06-29-2011, 01:23 PM

28,765 posts, read 29,038,613 times
It's a nice thing to do. A guy my daughter recently met offered to help her move 2 weeks later and she wasn't sure what to make of it either. I think they are dating now.

Aside from the dating possibilities there have been many instances in my life where I, or people I know, have stepped up to do something for someone else we didn't know that well. Sometimes it leads to a new frindship or relationship, sometimes it just fills an immediate need, either way I think people should do it more often. It keeps us human.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:24 PM

921 posts, read 1,568,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
If you are seeing this woman, whether romantic or on a friendship basis i see nothing wrong with being a gentleman. As i mentioned before in a few posts it is give and take in relationships. However, as you have just met just make sure she does not take advantage in some way..(borrowing cash, taking in her car for service, Feeding the cat 3 times a week etc..) Also, there should be a sign of appreciation from her for that, whether it is lunch, a beer or whatever. or some token of appreciation.

Other then that I do not see a problem.
She just might. And the most you'll get out of it is that lunch, beer or whatever.

If you want her to like you more, ask her for a small favor. (Ben Franklin used to use this technique, and he swore by it.)

Old 06-29-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Why do you ask rhetorical questions...?! Only when they happen to be pretty girls, of course!
I mean, maybe he just wants to do a nice thing for someone, I've seen it, it actually happens. But, myself excluded of course, I have heard of instances where men will go well out of their way for a pretty girl, yeah I have..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships