Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:57 AM

6 posts, read 6,792 times

Advertisements

For the last twenty years, I have been wondering what ever became of a friend I was once very close to.

Over the years I have tried to get back in touch with her. For some reason, at my wedding was the last time I saw her or had anything to do with her. I thought I did something wrong. I was friends with her for years. I tried to call her a few times and she never got back to me. I even sent her a letter when I moved back to my home town but no reply.

She dropped me once I got married (not visa versa!).

This was very painful for me because I tried really hard to re-kindle our friendship. Or at least let her know I was thinking of her over the years.

I know she's been in several states over the years and sort of kept up with info on her via the web. (google is helpful).

Anyhow, I happened to stumble across a few pieces of a puzzle and
I think she's a lesbian and always was.

For you young folks, it's not a big deal--you can come out and people applaud or accept it--but when I was a teen it was the biggest insult you could say..."you're gay!"

Not that I care (who does? I have cousins who are gay, good friends who are gay). She always had a boyfriend when we were growing up(and I didn't) but after I got married and she "wigged out" on me, she apparently moved to another state and got involved with a liberal church full of people of many orientations.

She is also involved heavily into 'roller derby' which (sorry I am clueless) is a huge sport for lesbians. She also has achieved a higher degree which is fabulous because this was a girl who failed all through elementary and high schools and had a lot of problems till she found her maturity in college.

Maybe my friend thinks I would never accept her AS IS. I always just wanted her to be happy. In many ways my child reminds me of her (mannerisms, friendly attitude, good sense of humor).

Thanks for letting me get this out there, CityData. Maybe it will help other people realize that some of us are actually liberal compared to what we were as kids/teens and that some friends will always be there, at least in thought.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 11:18 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times
Don't really know what your asking. It sounds like your just venting. I have felt this way over the years. Since I have graduated highschool (mind you-almost 20 years ago) I have often tried to get ahold of a few people, who it seemed could care less. It has made me wonder if they ever cared as a friend. I think most people move on and don't think too much about people who "once" were in their life. It's sad. I used to care, but even I have sort of said, f..it. I don't care as much anymore. But I guess I would be lieing if I said that It didn't hurt a little.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:26 AM

Thanx for replying.
Yes, maybe it was venting. It's hard to have friends who know you for years not give a **** really what happens to you. It does hurt because so many people you have nice memories of seem to just not want to have anything to do with me.

I am one of those people who will always fondly remember my pals in college or an old high school chum or previous but few seek me out. I guess if I were richer or famous I may suddenly find myself popular, but that's not what I am about.

I try to live in the present and make friends now, but even though I am friendly and outgoing, it's hard to form friendships.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:33 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,180 times
I had a friend that got married, had 2 children, divorced and became a butch overnight

Old 07-22-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
I had a friend that got married, had 2 children, divorced and became a butch overnight
Don't you think that this was probably always there...just something she submerged?

Again, this thread is not for gay bashing. Just to let people know that acceptance is there (if that is why they do not want to be in touch with old friends.)

Old 07-22-2011, 11:38 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
She is also involved heavily into 'roller derby' which (sorry I am clueless) is a huge sport for lesbians.
Most of the women I know who are into roller derby aren't lesbians. They're more of the tattooed rockabilly hipster type.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:39 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Can you get in touch with your friend? Maybe let her know that you have missed her and that you would love to rekindle your friendship?

Old 07-22-2011, 11:42 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,833,752 times
This was really sappy, just sayin'

Old 07-22-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Most of the women I know who are into roller derby aren't lesbians. They're more of the tattooed rockabilly hipster type.
Yeah, I have no clue about this (like I said) because I don't know anyone into this sport. I happened to look online to find out more about it. thanks for the clarification.

I just thought it supported the other things I found out. Anyhow not that it matters. I am going to just leave it.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:58 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,210,761 times
Maybe get in touch, she might be wondering how you are doing but to anxious or nervous to get in touch. You could both be thinking the same thing, hoping the other is well but not making contact. It can be difficult to rekindle old friendships but it might work out.

PS: Although I am getting old, as someone who has been on a high school campus in the last decade, I can say that gay is still used by many as a pejorative metonym for stupid/unwanted/disgusting. Coming out as gay/lesbian/bi/trans- is not always met with support or applause unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships