U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:46 PM

2,524 posts, read 5,059,775 times

Advertisements

Alright, so I will try to condense this fairly long story into a short one.

I went to go stay with my aunt for 2 & 1/2 weeks this summer w/ my brothers? She lives in a fairly touristy area but her & her boyfriend run a restaurant & that, (reasonably so) takes up all of their time. Anyways, while I was there, there was a plan for us to see & do touristy things in the city where she lives. Needless to say, this plan did not happen.

Now let me preface this by saying that my Aunt & I do not get a long for various reasons. Her & I have extreme opposite personalities. She is very rude for no apparent reason (& not just to me, to different people) She has hurt my mother & other relatives frequently. She told me that she had to "eat me with butter because I'm family" and that "if I don't change my personality, I'm bound to have marital problems/relationship issues." It was incredibly hurtful & I've been nothing but good to her. She's one of those people who likes to poke you until they get a rise out of you & then after they do, she just walks away like I'm the crazy one. She also made up stories to me about how I used to behave when I was a child & how my mother hated me when I was little. My mother told me to discredit her wacky behavior.

She is loud, I am reserved. She likes to have the last word, I apologized for "being an inconvenience to her." Also, we were Facebook friends but I deleted her after she made those comments & 2 days after I came home from the "lousy vacation", she added me again. I blocked her, honestly I have no respect for her & I have nothing to say to her after her hurtful, nitpicky comments. She is constantly gossiping about me (I overheard her doing it in the house) & "bullying" me.

Why does she treat me this way? She never does this to my brothers, just me? & why does she lie & tell me things when my mother tells me the exact opposite is true. I feel like I always have to walk on eggshells around her, or she'll snap. Tell me this isn't healthy. I'm her only niece too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 11:59 PM

5,421 posts, read 7,888,144 times
Because being ****ty comes naturally to some people?

You say you have nothing to say to her, so don't... if she's going to treat you that way there's no reason for you to take it. Cut contact.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Because being ****ty comes naturally to some people?

You say you have nothing to say to her, so don't... if she's going to treat you that way there's no reason for you to take it. Cut contact.
I talked to my mom about it & she said that she may be jealous of me. But why in the hell would she be jealous of a 23 yr old when she's 50? Then my mom said that she probably sees a lot of her sister (my mother) in me (her niece) Ugh.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:05 AM

9,593 posts, read 17,168,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
I talked to my mom about it & she said that she may be jealous of me. But why in the hell would she be jealous of a 23 yr old when she's 50? Then my mom said that she probably sees a lot of her sister (my mother) in me (her niece) Ugh.
Was the boyfriend even the tiniest bit flirty with you? That could explain it. Most of us 50 yo women know that a 50 yo man would rather be with a 23 yo, even if just for a night, than with someone his own age. (In many cases, not with our evolved men here on CD, lol.)

Old 07-24-2011, 07:14 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,375,697 times
Just curious but why did you even go and stay with her when you presumably already knew that you don't get along with her?

I don't think there's any point wasting time on why she is the way that she is, just stay out of her way. Just because someone is "family" doesn't mean you have to LIKE them. All the best!

Old 07-24-2011, 07:28 AM

3,288 posts, read 6,105,563 times
She's an idiot. A grown woman acting like a child. I thought when we reached adulthood, we got rid of childish things like making snide comments, dirty looks, intentionally trying to make someone mad. Wow, sounds like her parents did a horrible job raising her with good moral values. Someone's gonna attribute her outburst to some disorder.....watch (looks at watch). You yourself said you have nothing to say to her so keep it that way. At the same time, you allow her to talk to you like that. If you give her a severe dose of her own medicine, she'll back off. I wish she would talk to me like that, she gonna be the one looking crazy after I hit her with a verbal combo

Old 07-24-2011, 08:26 AM

20,068 posts, read 14,429,324 times
Some people DO NOT know the definition of the word LOVE.
She does not love you. She will never love you. You need to protect yourself from her venom.
Stay as far away from her as possible! And no matter how much you may be tempted in the future (with hope she will change) DON'T let her back in! This type of person seldom changes.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:33 AM

25,906 posts, read 36,320,496 times
It's unfortunate that you and your aunt do not get along. Two and a half weeks is a long time to have your home used as a hotel, especially when you work all day. Maybe that made her testy. Perhaps next time you want to do touristy stuff, you could pay for a motel and keep the visits short?

Old 07-24-2011, 10:14 AM

2,681 posts, read 6,263,435 times
Cool Curious...

Why did you even go to stay with her? Sounds like a wasted 2.5 weeks.
K

Old 07-24-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Why did you even go to stay with her? Sounds like a wasted 2.5 weeks.
K
I went b/c my mom sent me along w/ my brothers. She doesn't treat my brothers that way, just me. It really baffles me. As far as her boyfriend, he was not flirty with me in the least. The only reason I "allow" her to talk to me that way is b/c I didn't want to be rude back to her since she's my Aunt & she has a way of planting negative seeds in people's heads about different people.

My mom thinks she's bipolar, but why would someone w/ that disorder be so mean-spirited? Also, my grandparents raised both my mom & my Aunt the same, so apparently she didn't turn out w/ those "moral values" that they instilled, which my mother & all 3 of my siblings have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships