Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 07:26 AM

507 posts, read 1,537,573 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if anyone here has a pen-pal? I'm talking about the kind where you actually write (or type) a letter and put it in an envelope and mail it?

If so, how did you find your pen-pal? How would you describe your relationship with the person? Have you ever met in real life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 07:49 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
I did have a penpal for quite a few years. It was a woman I met in Belfast, Northern Ireland who happened to be staying at the hotel I was at. She was from England and was separated from her husband and we seemed to hit it off and checked out some of the local pubs and various sights around town. We wrote quite a few letters and I still have the ones she sent me. What ended this situation was the fact that she eventually reconciled with her husband and didn't feel it would be appropriate to continue our correspondence. I had hoped that it might turn into a long term relationship but it wasn't to be.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:58 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,469,507 times
Not now. I used to, but once the internet came along, we all switched to email. I have 4 or 5 active at the moment.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:00 AM

525 posts, read 1,555,214 times
I like to have military penpals but don't know how

Old 08-13-2011, 08:41 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
My penpal experience was from many years ago before the internet. As TaoistDude mentioned email has pretty much become the norm except for sending birthday cards or something of that nature. It's much easier than writing a letter and you don't have to buy a stamp or go to the post office.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:20 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
I like to have military penpals but don't know how
Katie, perhaps you can join the USO & find a military penpal.

USO

When i was overseas in the military, i wrote to some girl's from back home, & some different countries.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:57 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,995 times
penpal world . com is a popular website.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:13 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I did have a penpal for quite a few years. It was a woman I met in Belfast, Northern Ireland who happened to be staying at the hotel I was at. She was from England and was separated from her husband and we seemed to hit it off and checked out some of the local pubs and various sights around town. We wrote quite a few letters and I still have the ones she sent me. What ended this situation was the fact that she eventually reconciled with her husband and didn't feel it would be appropriate to continue our correspondence. I had hoped that it might turn into a long term relationship but it wasn't to be.
Aw thats too bad, but isnt that how it always usualy turns out?

And so it goes.......

Old 08-13-2011, 04:15 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Not sure if it counts, but I have a text-pal whom I've never met and lives a couple thousand miles away. I met her on another message board nearly seven years ago and we've been friends ever since. In fact, I'd say she's probably my best friend!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:07 AM

507 posts, read 1,537,573 times
Thanks for the replies, I really enjoy hearing pen-pal stories.

I've had my pen-pal for about 7 years. He is a prisoner doing life under the CA three-strike law. I found him while doing online research on San Quentin for a project I was working on- a page with pen-pal ads came up and I was on the page long enough to see his ad. It was two lines and said he would like to hear from anyone who felt like writing because it would take his mind off the four walls he looked at everyday. To this day I'm not sure what prompted me to send him a letter. I wasn't searching for a pen-pal or anything like that, I suppose I just felt bad for the loneliness he felt. So I wrote - looking back my first letter was very generic and even awkward as I didn't know what to say.

In his response back to me he told me he had all but forgotten about the ad, that it was three years old and I was the only response. His first letter was a little awkward too, but it was clear to me he was trying his best and that getting a letter meant a great deal to him.

That was 7 years ago, and now I count him as a real friend. We write epic letters and I have learned so much from him. I eventually came to learn about his case and he sent me his whole case file -- it came in a box and I spent days going through all the pages and transcripts. I was astounded and shocked at the injustice. The three strike law s-u-c-k-s BAD. He had two drug convictions prior to the three strike law, then a very questionable theft case shortly after the law was enacted that was deemed his third "strike". I don't think I would have believed it if I didn't see all the files with my own eyes. I could write a book on that alone, but I won't bore everyone here on the relationship forum with those details.

Anyway- getting to know him has been a truly worthwhile experience. We discuss everything from politics to religion to current events, life's ups and downs, our families... just about everything including his life in prison which I think would blow most people away. I write at least once every two weeks, and when his letters come in the mail I love reading them. There is something about a handwritten letter that just goes deeper than email and texting and the sort of electronic communication we've all become used to.

I was able to get out to CA and visit him once about four years ago, and hope to go again sometime next year.

So that's a little bit about my experience. By the way, I'm not one of "those" women who look to hook up with bad-boy types. I'm happily married so this is all platonic. I felt like I should add that because sometimes people don't get why I would ever want to have a pen-pal in prison. But I know how it is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships