Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 05:09 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,987,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vanderburgh View Post
You just pissed me off.

Which made me happy.

So, thank you.
This may be the strangest way I've ever made someone happy.

If I meet someone who gains happiness through men stomping on there nuts, that might top that, but until then, this..This is the strangest way I've made someone happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 07:21 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,787,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Quite a sweeping generalization. I've known plenty of hard-working people who were bitter, usually because of a tragedy that occured in their life (which has nothing to do with being lazy). I work with a man who lost his home in a mountain fire, I work with another whose son was murdered accidentally by the police, I know someone else who is dying of leukemia. I would characterize all three as "bitter" to varying degrees but I think they have the right to feel this way, considering their past history.
Yeah, my aunt is the hardest working person I know and she's extremely bitter. I love her to death but she just wallows in it--a little too happily I think.

But that brings me to a related point to this one: it's not so much laziness as a feeling of being stuck. Stuck in a rut, stuck in a relationship that is no longer working, stuck in past memories, you name it. A lot of us are stuck in jobs that are demeaning and below our education level, esp with the economy, and I see a lot of bitterness where I work and I'm experiencing a lot of it myself. I think that bitterness will be a thing of the past when I get unstuck, but I'm trying really hard to not make it a habit of mind, esp since it's unappealing and will make it harder to get unstuck. And the problem is, that when I'm feeling bitter about being stuck in a dead-end job that I'm overeducated for, I start to blame lots of other people and things in my life that I would have left out of it if I were happier with my situation.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:41 PM

56 posts, read 93,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
I think that I do. I've had about enough. But I know that I'm still here for a purpose, so I've got to grin and bear it. I welcome the end, though.
I do too. But I have a daughter so I need to stick around.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:59 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,105,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Quite a sweeping generalization. I've known plenty of hard-working people who were bitter, usually because of a tragedy that occured in their life (which has nothing to do with being lazy). I work with a man who lost his home in a mountain fire, I work with another whose son was murdered accidentally by the police, I know someone else who is dying of leukemia. I would characterize all three as "bitter" to varying degrees but I think they have the right to feel this way, considering their past history.
I didn't really take the OP as being bitter due to these sorts of tragedies in life.

I took it as, if you're healthy and fit... and the worst thing that has happened to you is that you feel some person did you wrong, enjoy life for what it has to offer.

... maybe I read it wrong though...

Old 08-18-2011, 11:32 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,172,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
and I have come in contact with several the past year, women and men.
Usually older than myself......

Lighten the f*** up and learn to relax and have a good time.
Life is too short to be bitter. Enjoy it while you are still here.

AMEN! It really is not that complicated

Old 08-18-2011, 11:45 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
AMEN! It really is not that complicated
But certainly not easy.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:58 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,307,854 times
You'd be bitter too if you were confined to a hospital bed for the entire 3 months of summer never seeing the light of day and STILL have to deal with crap that your work gives you, except that they make it hard for you to get anything done because their policy is to revoke your privileges and internet communication while you are on medical leave, while everyone talks about how lucky you are that you get so much time to lay there all day relaxing and doing nothing assuming that you are watching tons of movies (when you are wrangling with insurance paperwork and other administrative nightmares) as your muscles atrophy and you start getting body aches from laying in weird positions and you have to eat all your meals and drink all your fluids laying down spilling food all over yourself and nobody is around to help you so you have to secretly break rules and get up to do stuff while living in mortal fear of having a bad outcome and you have no sleep because the entire experience is anxiety inducing and you have lost all your vacation and sick time for the next 2 years and you no longer even care about that cuz your future is in limbo.

And you have to constantly hear how lucky you are to be excused from work for 3 months while everyone else is apparently working so hard, when in reality every moment you miss has to be made up double time when you get back to work only 3 weeks after major surgery. Tired of explaining to people that no, it is NOT relaxing, it is NOT "free time" for getting stuff done. Wish they would shut up.

Yep... bitter! Doesn't make me treat others poorly though. You can still be a nice person but bitter to the core.

Last edited by miyu; 08-19-2011 at 01:13 AM..

Old 08-19-2011, 09:27 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,538,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, here's the thing. By the time you're 40, with the exception of dread diseases or acts of God, it's always a good idea to assume that your position in life is the sum total of your own decisions. Bitterness is really laziness. Because the bitter person rarely stops to consider what he did to create his own mess of a life--or lacks the courage.

Sure, you might have caught an unlucky break, but who hasn't? At the same time, there's not a single person who, as an adult, hasn't had to deal with most of the problems you have, and a few that you haven't.
I couldn't agree more. 1000 reps to you.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:37 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,686,075 times
that's ****ing ridiculous.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:46 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,262,835 times
Anyone who doesn't get annoyed on a daily basis doesn't read the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships