U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 09:08 AM

15,929 posts, read 12,709,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Gosh, just to follow up....Happily retired, not eating cat food, kids are doing well. Grandkids are doing well. Live is good.

Thats great!!!

Yes, life is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 10:39 AM

3,331 posts, read 1,493,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I donít enjoy being with bitter people.

But your position in life probably is influenced by where you were born, your familyís income and social position, your access to higher education, your religious upbringing, your overall health, your luck in avoiding accidents or sickness, your first boss, your luck in choosing a mate, and on and on.

I do believe that we have free will, and that we make choices everyday that influence our lives. Being bitter is a choice, as being grateful is also a choice. I also believe that we as humans often do make self destructive choices. So, we do have the ability to affect our destinies. But an awful lot of our choices and opportunities are determined by forces that are outside of our control.

Now, wait a minute. According to the Retirement Forum----it's all about "a lifetime of poor decisions!"

LOL. Good for you, seeing another POV.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:46 AM

596 posts, read 264,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I donít enjoy being with bitter people.

But your position in life probably is influenced by where you were born, your familyís income and social position, your access to higher education, your religious upbringing, your overall health, your luck in avoiding accidents or sickness, your first boss, your luck in choosing a mate, and on and on.

I do believe that we have free will, and that we make choices everyday that influence our lives. Being bitter is a choice, as being grateful is also a choice. I also believe that we as humans often do make self destructive choices. So, we do have the ability to affect our destinies. But an awful lot of our choices and opportunities are determined by forces that are outside of our control.
Those choices and opportunities are still in your control, as in you make the best of them. Spend time with kids in a children's hospital. You'll find it's much different than a retirement home. Positive, trust, faith, and the choice to be happy.

Only one person is in control of your own happiness, and that is yourself.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:29 PM

20,070 posts, read 14,373,281 times
I think bitter people are often disillusioned.

They've negatively reacted to the realization that 'life is not fair'. And rather than accept it, and try to have a good life anyway, they over react in bitter anger.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:17 PM

21,582 posts, read 14,193,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I think bitter people are often disillusioned.

They've negatively reacted to the realization that 'life is not fair'. And rather than accept it, and try to have a good life anyway, they over react in bitter anger.
Yes. They choose to be bitter. Being constantlly bitter is a choice.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:32 PM

55,495 posts, read 74,394,948 times
That is so funny
Like telling a rape or mug victim to lighten up and get over it
Don’t take it personally
This type of advice giver is either very young and inexperienced or
Lacking in basic human empathy
There is a reason soldiers travel in armored vehicles in Iraq
No it’s not because they are paranoid
They are not bitter they are scared

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-21-2018 at 11:28 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 10:44 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,799,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitterperson View Post
good point huck. I guess I came off a bit harsh, but it just really offended me to read some of the things on this thread. There seems to be a prevailing attitude that all bitter people are lazy or mentally inadequate in some way. This is extremely offensive to me, because I have found that all the hard work in the world will not change how another person is. You can control yourself, but in this world, that's about all you can really control. Likewise, a person is responsible for their own actions, but not for the actions of others. So when I'm bitter because somebody screwed me over and got away with it, and someone else says I'm stupid for being bitter, surely it is not unreasonable to be a little pissed off?
To anyone who was offended, my intention was only to help you understand.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:45 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,799,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Gosh, just to follow up....Happily retired, not eating cat food, kids are doing well. Grandkids are doing well. Live is good.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:26 PM

2,474 posts, read 894,940 times
Well, I'm one of those who is bitter (and can't just "can't forget"), but I've never let that stop me from going out there and enjoying life. Don't assume that everyone who feels angry or beaten down just sits and home and nurtures it.

My mother liked to dwell on stuff and be a bit of a martyr, and sitting home is all she did. But early on in my life I knew that I wouldn't do that ~ in spite of my not being able to fully let go. So for me it's just To Hell with "them" and do as I see fit. I rarely think of them at all and I can't go back and change anything. And, yes, I consider myself very happy.

Pointless thread, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships