Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 09:16 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicicicico View Post
My father was going to kick him out when he turned 18 in july. However, that came around and it just fizzled away. My dad is much more of a hard arse and still doesnt have it in him.

The other day i caught my dad coming out from our room with tears swelling up in his eyes after he had a conversation with my brother about how he should be going to college. (this is only the second time i have ever seen him cry)

They've caught him stealing from them before and they continue to give the same lecture about how he is going to go nowhere.

Ive told my parents we continue to have these conversations and nothing changes. However they wont listen even after he stole $350 worth of items and money just this summer.

Ive told her that exact thing and she gives me an excuse like "i cant just throw him on the street, he will be homeless begging for money".

Thanks for the help. Any other advice?

I feel like its time for me to take matters into my own hands. However whenever i threaten to call the cops my parents act like im just a whiner--"but the phone down, your not gunna call the cops".

p.s.
I dont really know the laws on thievery. When he steals from me there is know way i can be certain it's him and i feel like this wouldnt hold up in court or w/e.

Thanks!
If things are as desperate as you sound...As a last resort I might call Child Protective Services. You as a child have the right to not feel traumatised in your own home. You have a right to feel safe.
If you can talk to a school counselor, or a church pastor or priest they might help too.
I am sorry that you are dealing with this, it isn't fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 09:26 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Just a heads-up - this thread began two years ago, and the OP should be 18 himself by now. I hope things have improved for him and his family.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:25 PM

3 posts, read 5,284 times
Run don't walk outta that house! God speed

Old 02-06-2015, 03:32 PM

1,485 posts, read 954,228 times
My SIL is a thief too. She's bipolar and extremely lazy. What a bag of freaking joy she is. Hope her and her mother die soon.
Some people just never change dude. If I were you I'd move out ASAP. Wish I could.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:54 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Again, this thread began in 2011. I hope things are better for the OP, who is now 19 or 20.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:35 PM

4 posts, read 2,745 times
My brother has stolen from me for only 1 year but he has been stealing things that are worth a lot of money. He stole a collectible doll that is 20 years old and he is only 9. He steals phones and money and toys. He sneaks in my room when I'm sleep or I am at my friend's house. The problem is my mom never talks to him she just spanks him but he still steals. I need advice because it is winter break now and my school just got off today and so did his and I'll be gone most of the time and he will probably steal again. Please help I need some advice to make this stop.
Thanks!

Old 12-22-2015, 03:37 PM

4 posts, read 2,745 times
Honestly I would fight my brother just like I fought my bully.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:56 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy.Star679 View Post
My brother has stolen from me for only 1 year but he has been stealing things that are worth a lot of money. He stole a collectible doll that is 20 years old and he is only 9. He steals phones and money and toys. He sneaks in my room when I'm sleep or I am at my friend's house. The problem is my mom never talks to him she just spanks him but he still steals. I need advice because it is winter break now and my school just got off today and so did his and I'll be gone most of the time and he will probably steal again. Please help I need some advice to make this stop.
Thanks!
Talk to your grandparents or your aunts and uncles, and ask them if you can keep your valuable things (like the doll) at their house. Explain about your brother stealing.

Tell your mother you need a small safe for your room because he steals. And tell her that you need to open a savings account at a bank. Even if you just get an allowance, and earn a little money doing small chores and things like babysitting, you can still put that money in a savings account and it will be safe at the bank.

If your mother will not buy you a safe for things like jewelry, your purse or wallet, your phone, and small change, ask another older relative like a grandparent or aunt or uncle for help buying a safe.

Let everyone in your family know what your problem is, and reach out to your older family members for advice and practical help.

You are showing a lot of common sense coming here and asking for advice. Because it sounds like you are very young, we have to advise you to turn to your family members first for help.

Young boys stealing valuables from their sister is not healthy or good. Your brother will have many, many problems in life if he keeps doing it. Even though you are young, you have to show both him and your family that you are responsible, and that you want to protect your money and your property from a thief.

Do not get into "fights" with him over this. When he steals or destroys your things, tell your Mom and tell all of the adults in your family. Do not let him keep this as some secret! His behavior is a problem, and you want to get free from it.

I am sorry that you are going through this while you are so young. Most people do not steal! And most adults will give you good advice and help you. Talk to them calmly, not angrily. Start off "I have a problem, and I want you to tell me what I can do. My brother keeps stealing from me..."

Old 12-22-2015, 10:15 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
If you are taller than you brother, ask your parents for a way to secure your door when you are away from you room. For example a hook and eye on the OUTSIDE of your door, higher than he can reach, may keep him out. This is kind of what I mean:

Amazon.com: MINTCRAFT LR412 Wire Gate Hook/Eye, 2-Inch, Brass, 6-Pack: Industrial & Scientific

I had something like this, only sturdier, when I was a teenager and my younger brother was stealing.

I don't recommend locking a bedroom door at night with you sleeping in the room, in case of fire.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:35 AM

6,458 posts, read 7,793,546 times
I didn’t read all the posts – stopped on pg 1 but...

I must say that as a parent myself, I feel really bad for your parents. You’ll understand when/if you have children and if one of them has issues. It’s really really bad. Your poor father, he must be a broken man over this, and I’m sure your mother too.

But yes, you are their kid too and they should be protecting and nurturing you as well. It’s just that you need it much less. He commands their attention because of who he is and what he does. I know it’s not fair but that’s the way things go. I feel bad for you too. You don’t have a real brother. I hope someday you will and I hope someday your parents have a son who will be different.

Lastly, recognize that your brother is likely suffering too. I know it’s hard, especially when you are the one who is being stolen from and betrayed, but compassion for someone who is likely suffering is important. You’re parents are showing compassion - secure your things so you feel (and are) less abused and that’ll hopefully put you on the road towards compassion and understanding. Much easier said than done I know.

I wish you the best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships