Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:53 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times

Advertisements

I have a close friend. We've known each other for two decades. She's never had her shyte completely together, but she did have a career of sorts pre-recession. Her job was one of things keeping her together. She did five years at that place, which was so good for her. She has two kids, who she loves, but they live with her ex's parents. I don't think her ex has had a steady job at any point. Either way, she lost her job, car, apartment, everything. She has made a series of mistakes, coupled with the recession, that have left her without a pot to **** in or a window to throw it out of.

She's depressed, extremely obese, which is just getting worse by the day, and is now couching it. She doesn't want to leave the state (Michigan), but it's really tough out there. She needs to work. She needs food, money, etc. She actually got a job a couple of months ago, but failed the physical due to high blood pressure. I have no doubt this is obviously due to the obesity, but she argues it. She's at the point where she has nowhere to go. She has indicated that she would be receptive to coming out here (MA). At this point, once her welcome is worn on that couch, I don't know where she can go. I'm the only main stay in her life.

My husband is not excited about the prospect (he's pissed). Neither am I to be honest. She's a long time friend. I love her. But, as you all know living with someone and being just friends with someone are entirely two different things. When we were kids (late teens/early 20s) I had her live with me. Then she'd go out on her own. Then she'd come back; wash/repeat. She's my girl, but our worldviews usually don't jive. I don't like the way she handles her business, never have, but I typically don't voice a lot of objections because I'm not her mamma and it strains our relationship. She's often not receptive to it any way. My husband says that if she were to come then it would have to be under serious stipulations. I get that and agree with him. I want to help my friend. I'm just at a loss in how to approach this situation.

The first and most important thing is that she needs to lose weight. It's affecting her ability to get a job (BMI>43). It's affecting her self worth. I can feed her and cook healthy vegetarian food for her. I can buy her a gym membership. I can have her stay with me and fix up our crappy in-law apartment (needs a lot of work). I have a long list in my head of what she should do. What she will do is another story. The way I see it- if my husband is going to give up his privacy, which is a huge deal for him (me too), then it should only happen if it's going to result her bettering her life. But! I don't have a magic wand. I'm not a therapist, life coach, etc.

I can't have a person loafing in my house either. I'm so torn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 10:05 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
The good thing about charity is the good forces of nature will make sure you will be returned the favour not one time but ten.

~ From the Mahabharatha (I delivered that dialogue painted as Krishna in blue, about 15 years ago)

Old 09-12-2011, 10:08 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
I think you'll make a huge mistake if you go through with this. It may even cost you your marriage.

She is obviously not marketable, MA is expensive, this will go on forever, she won't change, and your husband will be furious and so will you.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:14 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,621,557 times
If you truly are her friend, you wouldn't be trying to change her. I understand your logic re: weight related to job, etc. and agree, but that's where it all falls apart. If you and your husband place that many restrictions on her, then none of you will prosper.

Sometimes it's a GOOD thing to refuse a request from a friend, in the name of friendship.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:16 PM

11,865 posts, read 17,000,344 times
I would consider what it will do to your marriage above anything else. From what I remember, you two are also trying to conceive and having a visitor could create issues with that (lack of privacy, stress, etc.).

Be her friend, not her mother.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:17 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I'm sorry, I know you're a kind person....

BUT, she's given up on helping herself. You cannot fill in for that.

You have more plans for her, than she seems to have for herself.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 PM

257 posts, read 608,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post

I can't have a person loafing in my house either.
I think your very last sentence will answer your own question.

also

You can't help her help herself....she needs to do that or at least try to do that before anyone else can help her.

I would be torn too though so I just hope things work out...for you and for her ( and for your husband )

Old 09-12-2011, 10:19 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,427,328 times
Don't make your husband have this person move in with you.

People will only change when they want to. I have tried, believe me, to help people with everything I can. Ultimately, it is up to them, if not they will squander anything you send their way. If she genuinely wants help, do what you can for her. Go to the gym with her, sympathize, etc. But don't put her problems on your shoulder. They are her problems, not yours.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:21 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You have more plans for her, than she seems to have for herself.
Great point!

Old 09-12-2011, 10:21 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I think you'll make a huge mistake if you go through with this. It may even cost you your marriage.

She is obviously not marketable, MA is expensive, this will go on forever, she won't change, and your husband will be furious and so will you.
My mom said the same thing. It's such an effed up position to be in. MA is expensive, tho, I wouldn't ask her for rent. I would expect her to earn her keep via house keeping, yard work, and fixing up the apartment. But, maybe she won't do a damn thing, but loaf. Still, I look at all that I have- a great mom, where she doesn't have one, a great husband, a great job that provides me a home. A home that has an empty, unused basement apartment. In theory I absolutely love the idea of that space being utilized to help someone get back on their feet. But, I know my friend too. Unlike my dh, and unlike me, she's not a worker bee. She doesn't hustle. And she keeps gaining weight. She gets depressed, can only afford crap food, gets bigger, and it keeps getting worse. How can I turn her away? Damn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships