U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 12:29 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,831,660 times

Advertisements

yeah we all found out about the grandbaby about a few weeks ago.....before that my mom was adamant about not evening moving to Raleigh......now she is almost doing a complete 180.....ok more like a 135...lol.

back to my original question, why such the big disparity in real estate prices...is raleigh overpriced or dallas just so underpriced compared to the national average
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 01:43 PM

2,419 posts, read 3,417,339 times
I've been in the Triangle since 1995, and everyone I've talked to from Texas for the past 10 years or so says Texas real estate is on average a lot cheaper. I spoke with a guy from Plano about 8 years ago, and was shocked at the home he had and the price he paid. I think he told me it was new construction, all brick, on 1 acre with an inground pool...and he had 3,000sq ft. He paid $230,000 for it. You can't even get close to that for less than $400,000 around here without moving 50+ miles from Raleigh.

But the property taxes in Texas are a lot higher, as I have been told. I haven't researched it.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:52 PM

5,417 posts, read 15,425,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
But the property taxes in Texas are a lot higher, as I have been told. I haven't researched it.
Yes, but TX does not have a state income tax. . . .or a personal property tax on cars. But. . . . TX has higher homeowner insurance rates.

It all evens out. . . . . except for the big diff in real estate prices.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:53 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,831,660 times
TheBigKahunaNC - you are absolutely spot on with that the prices. It's exactly what I've observed as well. Raleigh tax rate is appx 1%, Dallas is about 2.3-2.7%. Dallas has no state income tax. Home/Auto Insurance in Dallas is more expensive. But then groceries, food, etc is cheaper.

In the end, the cheap prices of homes in Dallas more than makes up for it. Oh yeah, like you said, nearly all homes are all brick, and pool is a normalcy in Dallas, whereas these would be luxuries in Raleigh.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:35 PM

518 posts, read 882,449 times
Dallas has more plentiful cheap land, plus Texans in general are willing to withstand a longer commute it seems. My parents live outside Ft. Worth and their neighbors think nothing of a 35-40 minute commute to downtown.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:13 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,244,902 times
I've just downsized from a house with a pool to a house that is 1/3 the size. I LOVE the freedom...I can clean the whole house in a few hours. Who in heck wants to clean/maintain 3000 sf and a pool? The utilities alone in Dallas must be pretty high, running the AC all the time.

I think if you are encouraging parents to downsize, don't compare apples to apples or even oranges. Don't let it be about the cost of the house. Talk about the time and money invested in maintaining a large home v. a one story or a condo. Talk about what their priorities will be as they age. If the golf course is important, focus on that, but in a size that is realistic for them to maintain. Talk about the work involved in cleaning out the attic/basement and how much easier it is to do when they are young and healthy. Focus on the things they can do and places they can go when they are free of possessions!

I had to tell my parents point blank that my brothers and I have homes and cars and children to care for and we were NOT available to maintain them in their split level indefinitely. Like PatRoy said, they never had a Plan B. Frankly, it ticks me off, and I WILL be taking action on my senior years before I'm too old to take care of the details.

So I can't blame the OP one bit for wanting her parents settled BEFORE she has to find them a nursing home.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:50 PM

16,716 posts, read 25,689,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
back to my original question, why such the big disparity in real estate prices...is raleigh overpriced or dallas just so underpriced compared to the national average
IT's impossible to say why one area is more expensive than another - amount of pay seems to figure only slightly into the equation. I live in a nice middle class nabe here in Cary and in my old town in NY these would be million dollar houses, even if they needed work. And the taxes would be quintuple what they are here.

If your parents are aging and your dad is handicapped there is no reason they need a McMansion anymore, why not try to sell them on one of the 55-and-over communities? My parents moved to a one-level, zero entry ranch house, 1300 sq feet, in Carolina Preserve and they LOVE it there.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:04 PM

43 posts, read 32,294 times
It took my daughter and her husband almost five years before we decided to come. We have always been very close to our grandkids. We lived three hours away from each other and I guess they got tired of meeting us half the distance to bring and return them. We built here and we love it. It's very nice. I believe once that baby comes, nothing is going to keep them away. You'll see!
Good Luck!!!!

Old 09-19-2011, 10:15 PM

6,196 posts, read 14,196,031 times
Late sixties isn't like late eighties. Sounds like they love where they are, and they have your brother if the need anything.

Comparing cities online shows that the biggest difference is real estate cost. Other than that, cost of living is pretty close. Chicken costs more here.

And why is Raleigh more expensive, you ask? Supply and demand. More people want to live here.

I'd say leave your poor parents alone! Invite them often. Use Skype. Keep in touch with them, but they may very well be miserable here. Would you want to be responsible for that?

Old 09-20-2011, 05:24 AM

5,417 posts, read 15,425,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
And why is Raleigh more expensive, you ask? Supply and demand. More people want to live here.
I disagree. The Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex has over 6 million people. I'd doubt that Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill has more than 1.5 million. Sounds like more people want to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships