Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 01:41 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
They sure are. And less willing to help others.

That horrific incident in Washington state a few weeks ago where the father killed himself and his two little boys by burning down the house was another example.

A neighbor was interviewed on CNN and she said "oh we heard the explosion and grabbed our cameras/cellphones".

No mention of trying to help anyone. Granted it might not have been possible.

But the mindset now is stand around a film it, but don't help, even when you can.

Very disturbing.
It is disturbing. And the fact that there's little or no outrage when something like that happens. It's as if people are becoming more robotic and purely self-serving. It irks me when people assume that things are so much better now than they were before. It's true that we have made advances in terms of trying to attain equally, but we have taken many steps backwards in other aspects, what you mentioned being on of then.

Seriously, what happened to true friendships and community spirit? I'm not old by any stretch, but I cannot help but not like the direction that society is heading in.

I don't know if you're a fan of Springsteen, but this latest song of his pertains to us collectively not doing enough to help the poor:

I think it applies here, as many of us don't do enough to help anyone, period.

Back to Facebook, it just enables cliquish behaviour and narcissism. Keep it. I'll remain unplugged from the Matrix, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 04:42 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Nail on the head. Aside from the concerns about privacy, this is one of the main reasons why I deleted my old Facebook account quite some time ago. People add one another often just to bolster their friends' lists. I got tired of seeing thousand of pics of people I knew or hardly knew, many literally screaming for "look at me!" type attention. People also tend to use Facebook to air their ****ty views, the views that they would never dare to say in public. I even got tired of my own family on there, especially my narcissistic younger brother who did nothing but flaunt his own vanity and post about lifting weights or running.

Frankly, I just found the whole thing to be rather immature. Social networking has been good for many people, but I think that it's also made us collectively lazy and less inclined to strike up a conversation. It reinforces cliquish behaviour that you would normally associate with high school students.

Regards,
Proudly Anonymous and Unsearchable.
I joined facebook four years ago to keep in touch with friends and family back home, and I'm almost embarrassed to admit how much I was on it (But hey, what else are you going to do when you live in the middle of nowhere and there's almost nobody around who's your age?). Now that I'm back home in civilization and have a life, I'm not on it as much. I'm too busy hanging out with many of those same friends in real life. I also got sick of the attention seekers posting their statuses 8 times a day. I mean, it's really narcisisstic and immature, if you think about it. I still have my account, but I'm debating deleting it.

Facebook is basically for pathetic narcissists who have no life. Glad I grew out of it.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:48 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
They ask 3 times when you deactivate it, why. Maybe because I dont want 20 emails in my regular email announcing "you neighbor added a picture"! . Its become an online album of Spam, useless really.
If you're getting a lot of emails from facebook, it's because you've configured it to do so. Nowadays, facebook's default settings rarely send you emails.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:35 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I joined facebook four years ago to keep in touch with friends and family back home, and I'm almost embarrassed to admit how much I was on it (But hey, what else are you going to do when you live in the middle of nowhere and there's almost nobody around who's your age?). Now that I'm back home in civilization and have a life, I'm not on it as much. I'm too busy hanging out with many of those same friends in real life. I also got sick of the attention seekers posting their statuses 8 times a day. I mean, it's really narcisisstic and immature, if you think about it. I still have my account, but I'm debating deleting it.

Facebook is basically for pathetic narcissists who have no life. Glad I grew out of it.
I understand why you would use it for the reasons you stated. I'm also not saying that everyone who uses it is an immature narcissist. I used it to keep in touch with people back in my country, but it became annoying. An ex girlfriend of mine somehow tracked me down, even though I'd set my privacy settings to the max. That was really the final straw.

Social networking has a purpose, but it's also made people lazier and less likely to interact the conventional way. At work, it's kind of unprofessional to hear co-workers and even management openly discussing being on one another's Facebooks. It does reinforce cliquish behaviour.

I now keep in touch with the few people who are genuine friends via email or phone. The rest were not good enough friends to begin with, or were just people who I went to school with who were arseholes as kids and are now arseholes as grown ups.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:32 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post

pretty much. I agree with above poster who said it will someday die out. Other than kids and teens, who use it as a novelty, it really is useless. And also funny if people think the 999 friends on there means anything.

SeanD, that story is horrible. Definitely shows something wrong in todays society. The people filming this and putting it on YouTube are pathetic...imo its a sign of how shallow our trash media driven society has gotten.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:55 PM

102 posts, read 170,478 times
Reading all of the posts about FB "dying out," I certainly think it will lose significant momentum in the next year or so with people over say, 35-40 years and up, but it's probably here to stay. As I stated, I use mine to keep in touch with family out of state, and I do subscribe to some news feeds and such. That's about it. I'm not "friends" with many people (in relation to others who have hundreds) simply because I don't seek out a lot of people to "add." My two closest friends are not on FB and we still continue to speak on the phone or email a few times a week.

It is a interesting lesson though in behavior. I learned, from the get go, how to "unsubscribe" to certain friends news feed simply because I couldn't possibly stand their nonsense .... "I'm bored" ... (2 mins later) "pork chops for dinner tonight, yummy" ... (5 mins later) ...."it's raining, yuck" .... (3 mins later) You'll see a cutsie-picture of a dog with a "word of wisdom" saying about either telling the people in your life you love them (something like that), so the equally-bored friends can "Like" and post "awww" ....I'm sure you get the picture. What an incredible waste of time, and personally speaking, I would be horribly embarrassed even if I posted those things while I was "sleep-walking" (or sleep-typing, haha).

Or, how about the "drunken rant" posts? ... Nonsensical, angry and almost always over the line. Check the next morning and it's gone (assuming they read through their previous posts.) The family feuds, way too much information. Or the high school beauty queen who has posted 33 photos of herself when she was 17, 18 in various poses and bikinis, but no current photos. Not trying to sound mean or judgmental, but it's all very telling into a person's state of mind.

More troubling to me is the "big brother" aspect from FB itself and countless others. I'm sure it's no secret to most of us that Google, for example, tracks our cookies and our every move/search to compile data. On FB now, if you even sign up or "Like" a certain page, you'll be asked to "agree to give permission" to this third party to have access to all of your information, including "friends list." Phone numbers have to be listed to gain access to an account, even if they can be "privacy hidden" you know they're not.

Social marketing is a great tool for legitimate businesses with a broad scope. Personally, many people make very foolish mistakes and we'll see more as the years progress.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:01 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
It is disturbing. And the fact that there's little or no outrage when something like that happens. It's as if people are becoming more robotic and purely self-serving. It irks me when people assume that things are so much better now than they were before. It's true that we have made advances in terms of trying to attain equally, but we have taken many steps backwards in other aspects, what you mentioned being on of then.

Seriously, what happened to true friendships and community spirit? I'm not old by any stretch, but I cannot help but not like the direction that society is heading in.

I don't know if you're a fan of Springsteen, but this latest song of his pertains to us collectively not doing enough to help the poor:

I think it applies here, as many of us don't do enough to help anyone, period.

Back to Facebook, it just enables cliquish behaviour and narcissism. Keep it. I'll remain unplugged from the Matrix, thanks.

I love Springsteen. Have been a fan since the 80s. Thanks!

He has always been someone who has given back or paid it forward.

There was also the elderly man in Hartford, CT who was hit by a car crossing the street, the car didn't stop, and bystanders stood around and filmed him lying in the road.

Yet no one went out and helped him. It wasn't a busy road, so there was no excuse about getting run over as well.

Thankfully we still do here stories of people helping each other, but there is disturbing trend to film it on your phone to post online later.

I also wonder about the lack of social/interpersonal skills we are seeing with younger people.

You can't go to a job interview and not make eye contact, not give a firm handshake, and not be able to answer questions about why you're the one who should be hired.

You can't sit across from the interviewer looking down and texting "will u hire me"....LOL.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:25 PM

654 posts, read 3,456,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matterofopinion View Post
Reading all of the posts about FB "dying out," I certainly think it will lose significant momentum in the next year or so with people over say, 35-40 years and up, but it's probably here to stay. As I stated, I use mine to keep in touch with family out of state, and I do subscribe to some news feeds and such. That's about it. I'm not "friends" with many people (in relation to others who have hundreds) simply because I don't seek out a lot of people to "add." My two closest friends are not on FB and we still continue to speak on the phone or email a few times a week.

It is a interesting lesson though in behavior. I learned, from the get go, how to "unsubscribe" to certain friends news feed simply because I couldn't possibly stand their nonsense .... "I'm bored" ... (2 mins later) "pork chops for dinner tonight, yummy" ... (5 mins later) ...."it's raining, yuck" .... (3 mins later) You'll see a cutsie-picture of a dog with a "word of wisdom" saying about either telling the people in your life you love them (something like that), so the equally-bored friends can "Like" and post "awww" ....I'm sure you get the picture. What an incredible waste of time, and personally speaking, I would be horribly embarrassed even if I posted those things while I was "sleep-walking" (or sleep-typing, haha).

Or, how about the "drunken rant" posts? ... Nonsensical, angry and almost always over the line. Check the next morning and it's gone (assuming they read through their previous posts.) The family feuds, way too much information. Or the high school beauty queen who has posted 33 photos of herself when she was 17, 18 in various poses and bikinis, but no current photos. Not trying to sound mean or judgmental, but it's all very telling into a person's state of mind.

More troubling to me is the "big brother" aspect from FB itself and countless others. I'm sure it's no secret to most of us that Google, for example, tracks our cookies and our every move/search to compile data. On FB now, if you even sign up or "Like" a certain page, you'll be asked to "agree to give permission" to this third party to have access to all of your information, including "friends list." Phone numbers have to be listed to gain access to an account, even if they can be "privacy hidden" you know they're not.

Social marketing is a great tool for legitimate businesses with a broad scope. Personally, many people make very foolish mistakes and we'll see more as the years progress.
Yep, have seen this myself too many times. Even had drama with some of my own family members on FB when I used to have an account to where I had to cool things down. Aunt posting things like don't listen to my friends (!) and that they don't know what they talk about and crap like that. Back and forth stuff. Don't have time for stuff like this.

Businesses....yeah on the radio I constantly hear 'join us on Facebook' or 'Like us on Facebook' Um, guess what...I don't have to like anything! lol. Glad I don't listen to much radio and once I get my audio server and all my music is in place, radio is finished.

I will be 35 later this month, and I will say that social media has no impact of me whatsoever. I am very glad that I am not growing up in this time and age as a pre-teen. This FB, Twitter and MySpace stuff is 'Sooooooo teenager!'

Old 03-04-2012, 07:27 PM

654 posts, read 3,456,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I love Springsteen. Have been a fan since the 80s. Thanks!

He has always been someone who has given back or paid it forward.

There was also the elderly man in Hartford, CT who was hit by a car crossing the street, the car didn't stop, and bystanders stood around and filmed him lying in the road.

Yet no one went out and helped him. It wasn't a busy road, so there was no excuse about getting run over as well.

Thankfully we still do here stories of people helping each other, but there is disturbing trend to film it on your phone to post online later.

I also wonder about the lack of social/interpersonal skills we are seeing with younger people.

You can't go to a job interview and not make eye contact, not give a firm handshake, and not be able to answer questions about why you're the one who should be hired.

You can't sit across from the interviewer looking down and texting "will u hire me"....LOL.

Sad. Sounds like we have future "Jackazz" filmmakers in the streets. Pathetic.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:40 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
most people in the 18-25 age range who dont have a facebook tend to be condescending and annoying about it. as long as that isn't the case then i wouldn't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships