Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 03:25 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,610,633 times

Advertisements

None of those sites appeal to me. If you are too busy to talk on the phone or in person you won't hear from me. I send e-mails if I can't reach someone during normal hours, but thats it. Those sites seem to be invading everything on line too. Can't stand them. Everyone seems to think their world will end if they didn't exist. Try some real living. Actually go do something with a friend. Person to person is so much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 04:12 AM

461 posts, read 782,276 times
I have a fake account just so I can use it when people force you to go there.
Zuckerberg loves to play god with it so I'd never give my real info. No one should ever put their photos out there and real info or you are a primo fool. Or a desperate loser. Hmmm, a toss-up.

Op, these little girls are just pathetic. You threaten them because you don't enjoy their trivial amusements. You have the audacity to (wow) think for yourself and not join the mob!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:13 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,139,002 times
I never gave in to the whole social media thing. I never got a Facebook account because, based on what I've seen from other people and their accounts, too much drama is spread around and it quickly becomes a platform for annoying people to post stuff that ends up on your feed. Not for me.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
I too originally set up a FB page but quickly tired of it as, the more it expanded, the more cluttered it became and more of a chore to go through. I also got irritated with people I barely knew referring complete strangers to me as friends. What I do find very sad about the whole thing is that several people with whom I formerly exchanged chatty emails are now so hooked into FB that they barely keep in touch by any other means any more. Their sole communication is FB. I think I'll remain a dinosaur!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:33 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,139,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I too originally set up a FB page but quickly tired of it as, the more it expanded, the more cluttered it became and more of a chore to go through. I also got irritated with people I barely knew referring complete strangers to me as friends. What I do find very sad about the whole thing is that several people with whom I formerly exchanged chatty emails are now so hooked into FB that they barely keep in touch by any other means any more. Their sole communication is FB. I think I'll remain a dinosaur!
I feel the same way. A few of my friends have become addicted to FB and rarely communicate by phone or email now. It's sickening to me.

Recently my son (he's 10) has asked me some questions about FB because some of his friends are talking about it. But I'm trying to steer him away from becoming interested in it.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:56 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,822,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscillatory View Post
I've never really been into the social networking websites where you set up big detailed profiles and stuff. I tried Facebook for a little while after some coaxing but I barely ever checked it so I just ended up deleting it. This was about a year ago.

But now Facebook seems to be everywhere and I'm a little worried that not having one might hurt me dating-wise. A lot of times when people ask me to add them on Facebook and I tell them I don't have one, they think I'm some kind of loser or just an attention-seeker (the irony...). I have nothing against the service or people who use it, nor am I trying to make some statement by not having one. I've just personally never really gotten into social networking. I'd much rather send a text or e-mail, or make a phone call. What would a young woman think of a man who didn't have a Facebook, and why? Be honest.

I'm a 20 year old male by the way.
I understand where you're coming from, that's tough even in my generation, I can't imagine yours. I can't say I've been rejected thus far simply for not having a Facebook (I reactivate/deactivate mine from time to time) but I think not having a cell phone is worse. Look at it this way; the people who matter won't care and the people who do don't matter.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I think I'll remain a dinosaur!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
... but I think not having a cell phone is worse.
Oops double dinosaur. No cellphone. I guess a landline with a built-in answering m/c is positively neanderthal.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:12 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,693,803 times
Having a FB page shouldn't be mandatory in your dating life, but, it is very handy. No reason to fight new things though as they will probably become a staple. I'm sure there were people that claimed that they would never own a car, never own a phone of any kind, never own a TV etc. Just go with the flow.....

Old 10-17-2011, 11:15 AM

2,066 posts, read 4,334,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscillatory View Post
I've never really been into the social networking websites where you set up big detailed profiles and stuff. I tried Facebook for a little while after some coaxing but I barely ever checked it so I just ended up deleting it. This was about a year ago.

But now Facebook seems to be everywhere and I'm a little worried that not having one might hurt me dating-wise. A lot of times when people ask me to add them on Facebook and I tell them I don't have one, they think I'm some kind of loser or just an attention-seeker (the irony...). I have nothing against the service or people who use it, nor am I trying to make some statement by not having one. I've just personally never really gotten into social networking. I'd much rather send a text or e-mail, or make a phone call. What would a young woman think of a man who didn't have a Facebook, and why? Be honest.

I'm a 20 year old male by the way.
No facebook is a plus in my book.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:42 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
Yeah; as far as facebook affecting your dating life. I'd think not having a facebook would help it. Facebook can attract and bring lots of unnecessary drama to your life and relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships