U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 06:27 AM

461 posts, read 672,026 times

Advertisements

Facebook tracks you even after you've logged out (Wired UK)

This is how Facebook tracks you

The End of Privacy: Facebook Tracks Your Moves Even If You Log Out

This is why none of my real info or photos are on the net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 06:29 AM

43,478 posts, read 52,509,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscillatory View Post
A lot of times when people ask me to add them on Facebook and I tell them I don't have one, they think I'm some kind of loser or just an attention-seeker (the irony...). I have nothing against the service or people who use it, nor am I trying to make some statement by not having one. I've just personally never really gotten into social networking. I'd much rather send a text or e-mail, or make a phone call. What would a young woman think of a man who didn't have a Facebook, and why? Be honest.

I'm a 20 year old male by the way.
This happens to me with smart phones. People get all bent out of shape because I don't have one (nor do I have any interest in getting one).

Who cares what other people have or don't have or expect you to have?

Be your own person and move along.

I will tell you that most grown men I know (in their 30s to 50s) don't have facebook pages. It's a chick and young man thing.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Found this article online. Just from reading CD, its taken way to seriously by some. I have no doubt its caused break-ups in relationships as well as marriages.

Divorce lawyers claim the explosion in the popularity of websites such as Facebook and Bebo is tempting to people to cheat on their partners. Suspicious spouses have also used the websites to find evidence of flirting and even affairs which have led to divorce.

Details:

Facebook is the new cause of divorce | TheTechJournal.com
Facebook doesn't cause cheating. A-holes do.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:53 AM

16,085 posts, read 23,832,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Facebook doesn't cause cheating. A-holes do.
I'm not going to disagree. Facebook is a great way to keep in touch... but, one more way for cheaters or would-be cheaters to communicate and meet up.

Then theres the CD posters with threads trying to limit their partners choices on fb friends lists. God forbid an ex. or a co-worker of the opposite sex.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:54 AM

36,553 posts, read 41,765,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
Apparently, if someone takes you off their freindlist without so much as a message it's the equivalent of being slapped in the face with a dueling glove.
Hah, if somebody prunes their list and I'm not on it anymore, it takes me MONTHS sometimes to even notice. Some people take this sort of thing seriously, I'd imagine, but many others don't. Not everyone cares.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:57 AM

36,553 posts, read 41,765,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This happens to me with smart phones. People get all bent out of shape because I don't have one (nor do I have any interest in getting one).
Hah, I barely have a phone, let alone a smart phone (also no plans to upgrade). Just a $14 pay-as-you-go phone that I keep around in case I get stranded with car trouble. I am LEGENDARY at my workplace for my so-called Amish ways. It's good times. It's funny to see people aghast at how I can possibly LIVE without a pocket-sized web browser. I'm at a computer enough as it is, I certainly don't need to carry one around with me. My phone works well for times when I absolutely need to contact somebody, and that's really the only reason I keep one at all. Not a big phone person, here.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I'm not going to disagree. Facebook is a great way to keep in touch... but, one more way for cheaters or would-be cheaters to communicate and meet up.

Then theres the CD posters with threads trying to limit their partners choices on fb friends lists. God forbid an ex. or a co-worker of the opposite sex.
Yes, but I don't know that we can say that there is any more or less cheating in the world now that facebook is around.

Cheating is as old as the human race.

Everything is a tool. Mail. The phone. The automobile. And now the internet. SSDD.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Hah, I barely have a phone, let alone a smart phone (also no plans to upgrade). Just a $14 pay-as-you-go phone that I keep around in case I get stranded with car trouble. I am LEGENDARY at my workplace for my so-called Amish ways. It's good times. It's funny to see people aghast at how I can possibly LIVE without a pocket-sized web browser. I'm at a computer enough as it is, I certainly don't need to carry one around with me. My phone works well for times when I absolutely need to contact somebody, and that's really the only reason I keep one at all. Not a big phone person, here.
Here's what I say.

Friend, your phone is a vastly superior computer compared to my phone. But my phone is a vastly superior PHONE compared to your phone (better signal and reception, no dropped calls, etc).

I need a phone. Not some giant pocket computer (that doesn't fit in my pocket, btw).

Old 10-19-2011, 09:18 AM

284 posts, read 420,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
You have to post a status 1 or 2 times a day or people begin to worry?
Only because I live so far away from most of my friends and fam and I have a slew of physical ailments. Plus I hardly ever call anyone (I have a thing about phones, always have). If people don't hear from me, I get messages all over my wall... Anyone hear from Willow lately? Will, you okay? What's up? blah, blah, blah...

Old 10-19-2011, 12:11 PM

13,964 posts, read 10,762,023 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Yes, fewer murders would happen if fewer guns are available. It's a fact in many countries.
So yeah, we should punish everyone because there are some nut jobs in the world. Thanfuly, our forefathers used their brains and their common sense when drafting the constitution, thats he way we do things here in the USA.

{ If this is something you would like to discuss further, Please feel free to DM me }

Quote:
Same goes for that. People may have the tendency to be unfaithful (I won't argue that), but very few would go and dig out corpses from their early youth unless they happen to be right under their noses.
So how is that Facebooks problem? How can it be blamed on Facebook?

FB is like anything else, it can be used for good, or it can be used for evil, it's all up to the individual. Take science for instance. Science can be used to help prevent or even cure diseases. It's also science that created the Nuclear warhead.

It all comes down to the devil made me do it attitude. People are always trying to find excuses for their actions rather than take responsibility i.e. Facebook made me cheat on my wife/husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships