Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 11:04 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,149 times

Advertisements

I try my hardest to make friends, but it seems like everyone is content with the ones they already have. I've added people i know on facebook and people who i don't know have added me. But yet no one ever wants to hang out. Im really confused and sad about this. Can you good people of city-data please give me suggestions on places where to make friends? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 11:20 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,118 times
well you're right, most people are content with the friends they already have and there's always a risk when you open yourself up to someone new that you will get hurt or have a bad experience. so most people would rather not take such a risk.

also, when we are kids, we often make friends with others simply because we like who they are, but as we grow older, we become more aware of differences such as social and economic status, and also look at what someone can actually do for us. so in that sense the friendships we do make when we grow older are often not true friendships, but just relationships of convenience....of course this isn't ALWAYS true, but i've found that there is a good amount of truth to it

Old 11-28-2009, 11:25 AM

138 posts, read 285,419 times
I hear its easy to make friends in Prison !!! LOL Just kidding !!!!

Old 11-28-2009, 11:44 AM

52,257 posts, read 52,668,250 times
While I'm not a "joiner" type of guy, you could try joining some meetup type of group.

Pull it up and type in an interest, see what happens.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:54 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Each town and city is different. A lot of the towns and cities I've been to are very cliquish and people alternate "friends" at a whim. Friends are often disposable if they aren't offering some materialism value. The quality of friendship depends on where you live. If you are a minority it will be really hard to make friends. I have noticed that a lot of people self segregate and they can easily obstruct you from networking and making friends if you are a different color, have a different accent, or have any differences from the majority group.

Real life can sometimes be like high school. Sameness is prized. In high school the morbidly obese women always hung out in their clique, the Mexicans hung out with their clique, the blacks hung out with their clique, the conservative Christians hung out with their own special clique, and you get the idea

Old 11-28-2009, 12:26 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
In high school the morbidly obese women always hung out in their clique, the Mexicans hung out with their clique, the blacks hung out with their clique, the conservative Christians hung out with their own special clique, and you get the idea
I can't see much wrong with that. In any stage of life we all hang out with people we have something in common with, feel comfortable around, and get along with.

Last edited by sierraAZ; 11-28-2009 at 12:36 PM..

Old 11-28-2009, 12:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I can't see much wrong with that. In any stage of life we all hang out with people we have something in common with, feel comfortable around, and get along with it.
gota try just a lil harder,
well that would explain why i spend so much time on CDF with the same posters. we are so much alike?
getting to know you, from the king and I--- sing it!!

Old 11-28-2009, 12:47 PM

190 posts, read 493,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I try my hardest to make friends, but it seems like everyone is content with the ones they already have. I've added people i know on facebook and people who i don't know have added me. But yet no one ever wants to hang out. Im really confused and sad about this. Can you good people of city-data please give me suggestions on places where to make friends? Thanks in advance.
In addition to big picture issues, such as age differences, consider that some people define friendship in terms of quality. In fact, you might be rich in acquaintances, which other people would consider "friends." Also, consider that there is a lot of pressure from popular culture to be a socialite, meaning you are suppose to define your value by how many people you know and how often you're "getting it." My suggestion would be not to redefine your concept of friendship, develop patience, learn hobbies that you can do alone and find fulfilling, and gradually scaffold from those hobbies into the enriching friendships you crave.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:49 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
People are uncomfortable with change. If you really want to make friends you can hang out with, get a hobby and join a club.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:19 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,240,283 times
Do you mind if I ask how old you are? What happened to your past friends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships