Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 07:02 AM

932 posts, read 1,177,400 times

Advertisements

I agree. Over the years, I've felt more and more disassociated from society in general. People in general have become more materialistic, more selfish, ruder and manners and common courtesy have gone out of the window. The country seems so divided now and there's so much blind hatred out there. I look at popular culture and I hate every aspect of it, from god-awful music that people like (rock is truly dead) to the mindless non-celebrities people worship (like the Kardashians) to the movie industry that has gone down the drain, with so many remakes.

I have often thought about moving to Europe...to a non-English speaking country to at least live somewhere where Hollywood culture has a little less impact. Having been to Europe several times, there are many countries that are less "dog eat dog". I'm just tired of everything coming down to money and looks, as people are judged based on those things. I'm tired of the cutthroat corporate world and people crapping on one another just to get ahead. People cannot seem to just live and let live here. There's hatred of the poor, liberals, homosexuals...you name it <insert less fortunate group name to scapegoat here>.

All in all, I'm just tired. I would trade this either for a life in the late 60's or a life elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 12:02 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
I agree. Over the years, I've felt more and more disassociated from society in general. People in general have become more materialistic, more selfish, ruder and manners and common courtesy have gone out of the window. The country seems so divided now and there's so much blind hatred out there. I look at popular culture and I hate every aspect of it, from god-awful music that people like (rock is truly dead) to the mindless non-celebrities people worship (like the Kardashians) to the movie industry that has gone down the drain, with so many remakes.

I have often thought about moving to Europe...to a non-English speaking country to at least live somewhere where Hollywood culture has a little less impact. Having been to Europe several times, there are many countries that are less "dog eat dog". I'm just tired of everything coming down to money and looks, as people are judged based on those things. I'm tired of the cutthroat corporate world and people crapping on one another just to get ahead. People cannot seem to just live and let live here. There's hatred of the poor, liberals, homosexuals...you name it <insert less fortunate group name to scapegoat here>.

All in all, I'm just tired. I would trade this either for a life in the late 60's or a life elsewhere.
I wish I could rep you again. This is exactly how I feel and wonder is it because I'm getting old or has society really changed? It does seem like people are divided and it doesn't help that I moved someplace that has a completely different mindset than I do. Never really been a political person but I grew up in a mostly democratic liberal minded area until 3 yrs ago. I have friends that are republicans and some family members and I can honestly say 10 yrs ago it didnt seem to matter much at all. Sure they had strong opinions about bearing arms, church and so forth but now its subjects I feel I need to avoid as it can really become a contention in everyday conversations. I rarely converse with neighbors because politics always seem to be brought up and their mindset is so far from my own beliefs that I really have no idea how to make small talk with any of them. Yesterday I was sitting at a traffic light behind a large pick up truck. The driver had two bumper stickers. Both were really offensive. One was about gays and the other was about driving foreign cars. One included a saying about a tampon and female anatomy. Aside from being offensive it really didnt make any sense.

Aside from varying political or religious views the whole reality tv craze just grosses me out. Its all about being mean and obnoxious. Society seems to boil down to two groups now. The have's and the have not's. I wasn't born yet so I can't say anything about the 60's but I sure do miss the 90's. I graduated high school and entered the work force with a wealth of opportunities. I had a better job at 23 than I do now (no job and no decent prospects). It doesn't take long before you start feeling bitter. A battle that I seem to fight on a semi regular basis now. Never been to Europe. Maybe I need a vacation.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:06 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Rudeness and impoliteness seem to be the order of the day these days.And its not just peoples horrendous driving habits.
Just got back from filling my car with gas, as i was filling up this rather large dude drives into the pump in front of me bumps my car then starts getting all belligerent when i say that was kind of a rude move.
All 3 of my cars are covered in fender dings door dings strange scrape marks along the sides,probably have $1000 damage on each car due to other peoples carelessness, does nobody care anymore?
I would have taken a photo of him and his car and his license plate and call the police. My insurance company won't pay up if there is no police report.

And yes, I hate most people too. 90 percent of them are arse holes.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-20-2011, 03:35 PM

24 posts, read 41,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Rudeness and impoliteness seem to be the order of the day these days.And its not just peoples horrendous driving habits.
Just got back from filling my car with gas, as i was filling up this rather large dude drives into the pump in front of me bumps my car then starts getting all belligerent when i say that was kind of a rude move.
All 3 of my cars are covered in fender dings door dings strange scrape marks along the sides,probably have $1000 damage on each car due to other peoples carelessness, does nobody care anymore?
Nobody has to respect you, get over it.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:36 PM

24 posts, read 41,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post

the 60s was more tolerant than today? lol..

Old 11-20-2011, 08:57 PM

114 posts, read 191,406 times
About a year ago I was sitting in my parked car in a grocery store lot and this old guy came out of the grocery and opened the behemoth door of his massive mid-1980s cop-cruiser style auto right into the riders side of my car thus making a fair sized ding. When he got settled behind the wheel of his vehicle he looked directly at me then proceeded to start his engine and drive away. This @#$hole appeared to be about 75 (old enough to know better) just didn't seem to care about other people or their property.

Moral: Some people are just like this and it isn't necessarily a function of age or the "times". Other people will extend themselves and go out of their way to help someone in need. It's a coin toss who your going to meet on any given day.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:05 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,805 times
I'm just plain starting to hate women. Why do they have to be so beautiful but so horrible?

Old 11-21-2011, 09:42 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,297 times
Try not to hang around those ''hot'' women then.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:46 AM

376 posts, read 665,480 times
can't blame you at all for feeling that way. some of us including myself are tired of dealing with people where they feel like snapping on someone one time for the hell of it. trying to put my anger in check because i might do something stupid and at this moment, i can't afford to do that.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:21 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,806,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessishot View Post
the 60s was more tolerant than today? lol..
What does 'tolerance' have to do with any of this? We're talking about ATTITUDES - the memememe BS that is drummed out daily and nightly by the mass media which has a deleterious effect on those who are unfortunate enough to fall under its spell.

Wasn't like this back in the 70s and even part of the 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships