U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 01:23 PM

932 posts, read 984,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
What does 'tolerance' have to do with any of this? We're talking about ATTITUDES - the memememe BS that is drummed out daily and nightly by the mass media which has a deleterious effect on those who are unfortunate enough to fall under its spell.

Wasn't like this back in the 70s and even part of the 80s.
It wasn't even as bad as this in the 90's (my era). You could turn on the radio and hear Nirvana & STP in the charts, rather than Lady Gaga or Katy Perry. MTV actually played music back then...several class movies were released that weren't remakes. The recession of the early 90's kind of reversed the plasticity and over-indulgence of the 80's, whether in terms of music, clothing or movies.

Attitudes are generally awful now. It's not just me getting older. My generation were bad enough, now my generation are having kids and their kids will turn out worse than them (and so the cycle continues).

Politically, I have never known this country to be more divided. There was a time when I could enjoy a healthy debate with someone in the other side of the political debate, now that's almost impossible without getting labeled (both sides are equally at fault). There seems to be less tolerance of the less fortunate than I've ever known in my lifetime, as society looks for a scapegoat as it becomes more and more fragmented and generally selfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 01:56 PM

1,367 posts, read 1,578,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
It wasn't even as bad as this in the 90's (my era). You could turn on the radio and hear Nirvana & STP in the charts, rather than Lady Gaga or Katy Perry. MTV actually played music back then...several class movies were released that weren't remakes. The recession of the early 90's kind of reversed the plasticity and over-indulgence of the 80's, whether in terms of music, clothing or movies.

Attitudes are generally awful now. It's not just me getting older. My generation were bad enough, now my generation are having kids and their kids will turn out worse than them (and so the cycle continues).

Politically, I have never known this country to be more divided. There was a time when I could enjoy a healthy debate with someone in the other side of the political debate, now that's almost impossible without getting labeled (both sides are equally at fault). There seems to be less tolerance of the less fortunate than I've ever known in my lifetime, as society looks for a scapegoat as it becomes more and more fragmented and generally selfish.
Purty much anyone under 30 is written off these days, yes, that's harsh but as they say, dems the breaks... 30-35, at my discretion and over 35... for the most part - alright. Young people these days... sorry, can't relate to 'em and what's really sad is that I don't even want to... can't relate to anyone who's 'in love' with their 21st century gadgets... I prefer face-to-face interaction instead of all this virtual crap.

And don't even get me started on political discourse - just look at the comments section of ANY political piece and you'll know all you need to know. Sad. Pathetic.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:08 PM

24 posts, read 36,238 times
Quote:
What does 'tolerance' have to do with any of this? We're talking about ATTITUDES - the memememe BS that is drummed out daily and nightly by the mass media which has a deleterious effect on those who are unfortunate enough to fall under its spell.

Wasn't like this back in the 70s and even part of the 80s.

heh... in the 1960s, blacks couldn't vote. Prejudice was still considered ethical then (it isn't now). To say we are bad for hating gays or the poor is silly. I would say modern Western society is probably the most tolerant there ever has been.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Purty much anyone under 30 is written off these days, yes, that's harsh but as they say, dems the breaks... 30-35, at my discretion and over 35... for the most part - alright. Young people these days... sorry, can't relate to 'em and what's really sad is that I don't even want to... can't relate to anyone who's 'in love' with their 21st century gadgets... I prefer face-to-face interaction instead of all this virtual crap.

And don't even get me started on political discourse - just look at the comments section of ANY political piece and you'll know all you need to know. Sad. Pathetic.
Yeah, spot on about the political thing. I'm going to stop reading / contributing to the political forum on CD as people's ugly and often heartless opinions depress the hell out of me (better to live in denial sometimes).

Old 11-21-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessishot View Post
heh... in the 1960s, blacks couldn't vote. Prejudice was still considered ethical then (it isn't now). To say we are bad for hating gays or the poor is silly. I would say modern Western society is probably the most tolerant there ever has been.
In some ways, we have become more tolerant, but we've gone backwards in other ways. The racism of the 60's and prior never went anywhere. It's just masquerading as disdain for the poor (most of whom happen to be black in this country).

I see the wood for the trees.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:44 PM

7,495 posts, read 9,777,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessishot View Post
True. More people are more accepting and even open to interracial relationships, cross-cultural friendships, sexuality, and in general feel more free to be who they are, whoever that might be. However one can't really argue that manners, as they're known, have gone by the wayside. I guess it could be that etiquette is evolving and therefore maybe people who started their lives in another timeframe just don't see it that way.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:25 AM

etiquette is overrated. manners don't really have a place in society.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
We all get angry at these little (or big) things. It's only natural.

Carrying it around for the rest of the day isn't really a healthy thing to do though.

Best to just be Zen about it and move on. The Universe will take care of the jerks, sooner or later.
I am a "jerk" for the hell of it. I don't care, such is life, anything is acceptable.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:55 PM

1,198 posts, read 2,051,186 times
i hate people because they make society the way it is

Old 11-23-2011, 10:22 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,290,553 times
I've been demoted into telephone customer service recently. It's only made me hate people more.

Sometimes I pray for nuclear war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships