U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 09:19 PM

31,735 posts, read 20,017,197 times

Advertisements

You're just starting to hate people? You must be young.

Seriously.... there are buttloads of people who are @-holes. No matter how bad the economy, they are never in short supply.

But think about how ****-poor their lives must be to exhibit such behavior. It's better to have our lives, then their's. They have to marinate daily in such bad thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 09:48 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,438,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I hear ya. I have noticed that even a slight driving mistake (say you didn't see a driver coming and pulled out) is met with fingers and red hot fire faces.
The days of gentlemen and ladies is past.
Oh definitely, I think it's because driving is such a life or death situation we are in constant 'fighting' mode due to the adrenaline this causes.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:29 AM

34,423 posts, read 41,527,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Maybe his rotor is stiff or he needs new breaks and that JUST happened because that is how it is when those things go. Or maybe with the weather change his joints were stiff and he didn't have the power to pump down on the break like he thought he did. Or maybe he just pulled a 14 hour shift at work and his judgement was off. Or maybe he is too broke to afford glasses and his depth perception is off.

You brought it on yourself by assuming he was doing it to slight you and made a judgmental comment. You were not looking at it from the other person's perspective at all. His car got bumped too. Did you even bother to ask if he was ok or see if his transmission got messed up from the bump? No...you just called him rude. And if there was no damage why couldn't you just laugh about it? What is the point of being dramatic? And even though there was no visual damage his transmission could be thrown off.
You had to be there as this rude ignoramus drove up with an attittude of "i dont give a s hit" There was no forth coming "excuse me" coming from this guy, he looked like he was used to pushing his rude behaviour as much as possible and relying on his size to back it up,the consumate bully,as i'm a senior citizen i guess he figured i was an easy target for a bit of a power trip,believe me when i say this lunkhead doesnt deserve your devils advocate logic..

Old 11-03-2011, 09:42 AM

7,901 posts, read 8,903,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post

1. American culture has broken down over the past 30+ years (and I'm not sure how much further it's going to go) due to all this crap garbage that passes for entertainment. It has trained people to think it's cool to be rude and disrespectful, and it has trained people to think that something is wrong with you if you chose to carry yourself with dignity and civility.
I wouldn't be that pessimistic, though I have to agree with you on the entertainment front. IMHO reality TV is a cancer on the culture - it glorifies idiocy.

Quote:
2. American culture is a anti social, isolationist, hyper competitive, uncaring society that will chew you up and spit you out if you let it. So the only way to survive in a place like this is to be rude, uncaring, and aggressive toward others, otherwise people will mark you as easy prey.
I've found that to not be true at all, depending on what environment it is. I work in a very confrontational business - litigation. I'm never rude (not in real life anyway LOL), don't break promises and I'm always sportsmanlike with my opponents, even if they aren't. The end result of this is I win a lot more cases than they do, because I have a LOT more credibility with the court.

Peter Falk's Colombo and Andy Griffith's Matlock are good fictional representations of this approach. It's worth the effort.

Quote:
In other words, this society was constructed in a way where we all compete against each other for basic resources with no end in sight. So it's only natural that all of us are rude to each other, because at the heart of it all, we're all rivals at varying degrees (i.e.,competing to get into collage, competing for same jobs, competing for homes close to good schools, competing for top grades, ect.. ect..).
There are still some places where civility and gentility are the norm. It may be lost in large cities like Atlanta, but in smaller cities in the South it's still there.

There's a reason I live in north Florida and not Miami.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:03 AM

5,144 posts, read 10,864,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You had to be there as this rude ignoramus drove up with an attittude of "i dont give a s hit" There was no forth coming "excuse me" coming from this guy, he looked like he was used to pushing his rude behaviour as much as possible and relying on his size to back it up,the consumate bully,as i'm a senior citizen i guess he figured i was an easy target for a bit of a power trip,believe me when i say this lunkhead doesnt deserve your devils advocate logic..
Are you an obvious senior citizen? I sorta have cardinal rule myself if there is more silver on top than not...you must be nice to that person.
Too bad we can't do a rewind and replay with omitting the rude comment to see if his reaction was different.

i just find more often than not, comments like that (rude)escalate the situation rather than diffuse it.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:36 AM

14,131 posts, read 20,906,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
What do you think the ratio is of purely pleasant people vs. not-so-nice people?

I am thinking 5/95.

Umm what rock are you living under???

Old 11-03-2011, 01:49 PM

34,423 posts, read 41,527,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Are you an obvious senior citizen? I sorta have cardinal rule myself if there is more silver on top than not...you must be nice to that person.
Too bad we can't do a rewind and replay with omitting the rude comment to see if his reaction was different.

i just find more often than not, comments like that (rude)escalate the situation rather than diffuse it.
I hope this moron comes and bumps your car while you are in the process of a fill up,then we can discuss what you would say and how apologetic you will be for having the gall to be in his way.
And i dont need to be treated differently just because i have gray hair,
if i bumped into some one in a similar circumstance a heartfelt apology would be forth comiing before the person pumping the gas could say "thats rude" and i certainly wouldnt give the F u.. ..u look when getting out of the car..

Old 11-03-2011, 05:36 PM

14,131 posts, read 20,906,379 times
Speaking of A-holes: I'm waiting for my friend at a restaurants bar last night. He was running late so I ordered a salad and some food while having a glass of wine. I had the chair next to me leaned against bar and my purse there saving the seat. Some young guy comes up to me and asks me if I was there alone. I said "No, I'm waiting for someone". He says "Yea right". I said "Excuse me? I really am waiting for someone" He said "I have a sister and she doesn't wait for anyone" I didn't respond. He then said "If you don't want to sit here alone, come sit with us". Again, I ignored him. My friend showed up like 10 mins later. I mean WTF??? I can't stand stupid f-ing people.

Last edited by himain; 11-03-2011 at 06:13 PM..

Old 11-03-2011, 05:43 PM

5,499 posts, read 4,577,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You're just starting to hate people? You must be young.

Seriously.... there are buttloads of people who are @-holes. No matter how bad the economy, they are never in short supply.

But think about how ****-poor their lives must be to exhibit such behavior. It's better to have our lives, then their's. They have to marinate daily in such bad thoughts.
What a depressing way to spend a day, nah!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:24 PM

7,901 posts, read 8,903,305 times
We all get angry at these little (or big) things. It's only natural.

Carrying it around for the rest of the day isn't really a healthy thing to do though.

Best to just be Zen about it and move on. The Universe will take care of the jerks, sooner or later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships