Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:45 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times

Advertisements

influence who you date or marry? Sure they like to tell us we can do better or that they have a bad feeling about said person. And sometime's they are right & then other time's they are not. What about friend's should you or would you interfer with your friend being happy? When I was single years ago my best friend's wife poked her nose in when she thought that the women I was dating was prettier then she was. She claimed that said girl didn't fit with us. My mom tend's to be over protective of me being that I am an only child. She tends to judge said GF by what went wrong with the last one. So of course in her eyes they are all the same.

Anyone else have things like this happen to you?

Even tried to tell family/friends that thier BF/spouse is wrong for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 05:49 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
If the person in question was someone whose opinion I respected, then I would hear their side as to why they think this person isn't right for me, after all, sometimes other people can see things we may not see, but other than that, my life is my life and I would hope other people would realize that.

On the other side of the fence, I have been the one who knew somebody was bad for somebody else or just plain not right for them, but rarely did I ever voice it, for the reason listed above.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:28 AM

845 posts, read 1,348,496 times
I would take their advice, but with a grain of salt on most occasions.

With my last relationship, all of my family and friends have told me that this person just needs to go, that I can do a lot better. I've seen the signs before they even told me, but I was in need of just having someone that it pretty much blinded me from my own beliefs, dreams and goals that I didn't care as much of what they said.

I talk to my sister and my mom a lot about past and recent relationships. However, they both have different views on recent stuff. My mom says it best to just enjoy myself because I was able to have someone enjoy my company and being around me, and not think so much of the negative. Also that there is still that flame and possible signs that she still does like me but can't act on them because it would mean her job.

My sister, on the other hand, says to move on, literately. Get out of the place this person works and just move...on. Stop trying to court someone that can't afford time to court, and risk their job if something comes up. If need be, move back to my hometown, get a better job, and get on the dating sites.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:49 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,757,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
influence who you date or marry? Sure they like to tell us we can do better or that they have a bad feeling about said person. And sometime's they are right & then other time's they are not. What about friend's should you or would you interfer with your friend being happy? When I was single years ago my best friend's wife poked her nose in when she thought that the women I was dating was prettier then she was. She claimed that said girl didn't fit with us. My mom tend's to be over protective of me being that I am an only child. She tends to judge said GF by what went wrong with the last one. So of course in her eyes they are all the same.
No, I do not let my family influence me on who to date or marry -- b/c my family is almost always completely and irrationally off-base when they try to do this (and they always try to meddle in these sorts of things).

Quote:
Other than family? They likely wouldn't know...or care.

Quote:
No -- not my business to do so.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:07 AM

977 posts, read 1,814,748 times
If someone close to me doesn't think me and the SO are a good match, I would listen intently for sure, especially if my parents told me this.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:11 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
Absolutely not, LOL My family wouldn't even get to be introduced to the person....If I ever got married again, they probably wouldn't even be told

Old 11-09-2011, 09:19 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post

When we are in love with or infatuated with someone, we don't always see the whole picture very clearly. When I was in my 20s, I dated a guy for 6 years. He was welcomed into my family and into my circle of friends with open arms. After he and I went our separate ways, I discovered that none of my loved ones liked him much and all thought he was wrong for me. They only tolerated my bf because they cared so much for me.

I'm not sure how I would've reacted if before the breakup my friends and family had told me they didn't like him. I probably would've gotten defensive about it because I was smitten and naive about men and didn't see him for who he really was. But perhaps if several people had told me he wasn't right for me, I would've looked at him from a different perspective and ended things sooner.

Love screws with our heads; that's for sure!
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:29 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
When we are in love with or infatuated with someone, we don't always see the whole picture very clearly. When I was in my 20s, I dated a guy for 6 years. He was welcomed into my family and into my circle of friends with open arms. After he and I went our separate ways, I discovered that none of my loved ones liked him much and all thought he was wrong for me. They only tolerated my bf because they cared so much for me.

I'm not sure how I would've reacted if before the breakup my friends and family had told me they didn't like him. I probably would've gotten defensive about it because I was smitten and naive about men and didn't see him for who he really was. But perhaps if several people had told me he wasn't right for me, I would've looked at him from a different perspective and ended things sooner.

Love screws with our heads; that's for sure!

Well said my friend

I will add, an emotionally mature person is never threatened by their loved ones giving them their input either.

Even when you can't see where they are coming from and completely disagree, a wise person will take what those who know them best see into consideration.

It's just the smart thing to do, since as you said, love can screw with your head, and judgement

Old 11-09-2011, 10:19 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,562 times
Been there,Done that,Bought the shirt and spilled the Beer. Each of us state how much honesty is key. Yet if someone submits his\her honest opinion it's not there business (odd). Only time we question influence\comment is when Negative (how many times have you received the "she's a good gir"l,"That's the one","Great catch" etc etc..only to realize he\she turn out awful or not good) I prefer honesty from those I've come to cherish. If you're Green you're Growing, if you're Ripe you are Rotting

Old 11-09-2011, 10:22 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
If someone close to me doesn't think me and the SO are a good match, I would listen intently for sure, especially if my parents told me this.
I agree. My friends and family only want what's best for me and aren't going to b.s. me about it.

I would be a fool to ignore what they had to say. I am not saying they would make the decision for me (and unfortunately, I have ignored them enough times), but this is the most important decision you will ever make...you ask your buddies about your shoes or your car or your job or where to bank. Why wouldn't you ask them about who to marry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships