U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 08:11 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,824,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegota View Post
INTJ? Ok, now I understand...

Suggest streaming a Netflix Documentary on Human Development.
Like a typical INTJ, I already looked to human development, which doesn't touch on this subject . . .hence the post . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 08:12 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Thank God, lol! I thought she had some kind of dread disease or was maybe Aspergers

Old 11-18-2011, 08:13 PM

This thread is not about personality types . . .I just brought up that I am an INTJ cuz LM said my reaction was too extreme . . .it is just the way I am.

But my relative I think is an ESFJ, which essentially means we would have difficulties getting along anyway because we have such vastly different ways of viewing the world . . .I can somewhat understand him but I doubt he will ever "get" me and that's just the way it is.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:14 PM

479 posts, read 729,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Like a typical INTJ, I already looked to human development, which doesn't touch on this subject . . .hence the post . . .
Perhaps, sociology and "joining the tribe." Might help? Find what you're looking for?

Old 11-18-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Okay, how do I know...

Well, I've raised my boys (quite successfully I might add) to be great young men.

In addition, I have other credentials for understandings teens.

I am sorry you are hurting, but if you could learn to look at his behavior as normal for his age that would lessen your pain

I was seriously asking you how you knew these things? Did you read them in a book, did you have realizations, did someone tell you, etc.?

I have raised children too, but I admit that more than ever I truly know nothing . . ."the more you know, the more you realize you don't know . . ." So I am in the place of absolutely knowing nothing.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:17 PM

678 posts, read 1,296,224 times
Quote:
This is so interesting. So when I saw him today, I wanted to fiddle with stuff in his room (definitely an issue . . .but I have lots of design talent and he is totally unorganized . . . I know this is a boundary thing) . . .but anyway, he wanted me to watch him "lift," and that is the last thing in the world I am interested in . . .

I guess we won't be talking for awhile because he is interested in "lifting," and he also likes me to watch videos online of horrible music I can't stomach . . .but I do it to humor him . . . I guess we have nothing in common!
So did you watch him?? He wanted to share his interest with you and show-off for you.... This is when you tell him how well he 'lifts' and ask him questions about 'lifting' with genuine interest.

If you want to remain close with him, you missed a golden opportunity if you rejected his invitation.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegota View Post
Perhaps, sociology and "joining the tribe." Might help? Find what you're looking for?
Maybe. I think that's a good idea. Thank you!

Old 11-18-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly8 View Post
So did you watch him?? He wanted to share his interest with you and show-off for you.... This is when you tell him how well he 'lifts' and ask him questions about 'lifting' with genuine interest.

If you want to remain close with him, you missed a golden opportunity if you rejected his invitation.
Yeah, I missed it. I did watch him for approximately one minute! I guess the other thing is that our values are at odds . . .he is obsessed with looking good, etc. - I think it's shallow and narcissistic . . .we have very little in common right now.

He has let me know that he wants a girl like me, who is intellectual . . that is one of the traits he thinks he wants . . .so that is flattering and we do talk about "issues" sometimes . . .he just doesn't want me fiddling around in his stuff . . .which I somehow am obsessed with . . .

Old 11-18-2011, 08:22 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
I was seriously asking you how you knew these things? Did you read them in a book, did you have realizations, did someone tell you, etc.?

I have raised children too, but I admit that more than ever I truly know nothing . . ."the more you know, the more you realize you don't know . . ." So I am in the place of absolutely knowing nothing.
I am still baffled...you've raised children but "know nothing"?

If you've already raised kids dealing with another shouldn't be a problem.

Experience is the best teacher. Mine taught me a tremendous amount, didn't yours?

Old 11-18-2011, 08:25 PM

6,587 posts, read 6,804,276 times
Quote:

I remember the first time my son said the words "I hate you" to me I was so hurt!!I talked to my friend and she explained that at that second in time he hated what I was stopping him from doing(I grounded him after he broke curfew)! He really didn't hate me he hated the consequences that he was facing!Next time he said it in anger I just let it roll off my back!Once he saw that those 3 words didn't have any effect on me...he never said it again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships