U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 03:21 PM

21,212 posts, read 5,623,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I've lived alone in a one bedroom apartment for a few years now. i love having my privacy and my own space.

i had roommates when i was younger but hated it.. but then again it was probably just the particular people that i lived with that made me hate it.

Is it weird to actually LIKE living alone? i'm afraid because i'm 34 and if i am ever in a relationship, i'm afraid i won't be able to adjust to living with someone else at this point.
I've had 3 bad experiences with roommates so I am living on my own. I can come and go as I see fit, if the bills are late, it's my fault, etc. If you want company to stay over, you don't have to worry about a roommate getting/being in the way.

If you get involved in a relationship--that's different than having roommates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 11:31 AM

5,000 posts, read 14,433,061 times
I prefer living alone. Had roommates throughout my 20s to save money. I'm a homebody so I prefer a quite night home with my dog than going out socially.

All five of my older siblings are married. I'm guessing my desire to live alone stems from never have alone time when I was younger, and rarely being the one making decisions.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:54 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,197,304 times
I find it funny to see the attitudes here in the US about roommates vs. Europe.

In the multiple countries i've been to (Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Turkey, and Germany), every one of the people I stayed with (met via couchsurfing or were friends who were exchange students) had roommates. The group I stayed with in Brussels has a guy from Belgium, two from Paris and one from Venice.

To them, it was more of "Why would I want to spend more to live by myself when I can live with my friends all the time."

The group in Delft, NL we stayed with actually acted as a family unit. There was 6-7 of them living in the house (each had their own room) and each had their own responsibilities and whatnot.

Now I agree, once you hit a certain age (who knows, 28? 30?), that sure, getting your own place would be nice. But if I can spend $800 and get a studio vs spend $550 and split a 1800 sq foot house 3-ways, I'll take the house every time.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:19 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,656,871 times
After my last post, my landlord's gave me a 45 day notice to vacate because her parents would be moving into my unit. I moved in with friends and lasted for a total of 60 days there. Luckily I have the means to get my own place and moved out yesterday. I don't want to post about what happened there because it raises my blood pressure .

Old 05-23-2013, 04:32 AM

6,657 posts, read 6,400,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikake View Post
After my last post, my landlord's gave me a 45 day notice to vacate because her parents would be moving into my unit. I moved in with friends and lasted for a total of 60 days there. Luckily I have the means to get my own place and moved out yesterday. I don't want to post about what happened there because it raises my blood pressure .
Understandable, those nightmare roommate situations can raise the blood pressure of anyone. Ya u have my empathy

Old 05-23-2013, 04:08 PM

110 posts, read 155,233 times
I'd rather live alone. My one and only roommate experience ended up being a slap in the face. Never again.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:58 PM

8,140 posts, read 11,041,171 times
I have a bedroom and bath which from tim to time I rent out. I can be very choosy about who moves in because unlike most landlords here I will accept a dog. I've had more problems with the dogs than with the roommates. Roommates come in handy if you want to leave for a few weeks and don't want to board the dog, which is generally a bad experience for them. The dog may miss me but she'd miss her home more.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:19 PM

2,584 posts, read 2,283,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I've lived alone in a one bedroom apartment for a few years now. i love having my privacy and my own space.

i had roommates when i was younger but hated it.. but then again it was probably just the particular people that i lived with that made me hate it.

Is it weird to actually LIKE living alone? i'm afraid because i'm 34 and if i am ever in a relationship, i'm afraid i won't be able to adjust to living with someone else at this point.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with loving the fact you live alone. Despite what the social expectations are, just do your thing and follow your bliss, man.

I love having my own space.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:43 PM

4,751 posts, read 6,492,649 times
I lived with roommates throughout college and then into my late 20's. Usually in a big house. Had various mixtures of good/bad roommates.

But then it reached the point where the landlord was going to sell the house, so I found my own apartment. I realized it was the first time I truly had lived alone.

I still remember that first week in that apartment. One morning, I walked past the kitchen sink which was full of dishes and got irritated. Then I realized, it was ME who left them in there!!! It actually took a few seconds to realize that I had no one to blame but myself.

Ever since then, there is no way I could go back to roommates.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:51 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,656,871 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships