U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 07:55 AM

9,039 posts, read 9,466,130 times

Advertisements

The person I live with now is the roommate from hell. He lets his laundry pile up so much there is litterally a pile of stinky clothes in the floor and usually wet clothes from a week ago still in the washer. Everytime I need to wash my own clothes, his are in the washer and dryer. He never loads or unloads the dishwasher, so there is always a sky high pile of dishes in the sink until I finally do it. Even when the dishwasher is empty he puts his dirty dishes in the sink. He makes sandwiches on the bare counter and doesn't clean up after himself. There are always beer cans all over the counter. When I ask him to help I am just "bitching" at him.

UGH. I wish he'd move out. it's like living with a lazy teenager. I WANT TO LIVE ALONE AGAIN!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 08:08 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,759,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I've lived alone in a one bedroom apartment for a few years now. i love having my privacy and my own space.

i had roommates when i was younger but hated it.. but then again it was probably just the particular people that i lived with that made me hate it.

Is it weird to actually LIKE living alone? i'm afraid because i'm 34 and if i am ever in a relationship, i'm afraid i won't be able to adjust to living with someone else at this point.
You'd be surprised to what and how fast you can adjust to something when you're really into someone.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:29 PM

11,992 posts, read 16,724,975 times
I wish I could afford to live alone. Unfortunately, it's normal here to live with roommates until you're in your 30s because even a crappy studio costs $800 (not including utilities and often with only a kitchenette - no real kitchen).

Old 11-29-2011, 05:35 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,346,015 times
Live alone. But if you must live with someone be sure to email them living rules. And get locks for your door an d get locks on your files. A past roommate constantly snooped around in my private files. It was a huge problem.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:44 AM

9,397 posts, read 13,663,826 times
man I really got lucky with my roommates. we're all becoming pretty good friends, we clean up after ourselves (usually), it's all quite good.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:51 AM

630 posts, read 892,457 times
ive lived with three different roommates and at this point im realizing that i hate living with roommates unless i live on a different floor and there's sufficient space between us. I need my privacy..

Old 12-31-2012, 09:03 PM

285 posts, read 319,395 times
I have a 1 bedroom apartment and I been living alone since august 2009. I didn't mind living alone for the first year or 2. Then, I was getting tired of coming home from work to an empty apartment and no one to keep me company. So, I eventually got myself a dog instead of a roommate because I don't think I can handle living with a roommate anyway. Now, I don't feel so lonely anymore because of my dog

Old 01-01-2013, 04:47 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,581,330 times
Dont do the roommate thing if you can help it.

I live alone now, did the roommate thing with family and friends for what seemed like an eternity. Starting from my late teens all I ever was was a supporter. Tried going to school to get out of that mess but failed. After my mother died it was my sister, brother in law, and some fat guy that they convinced to move in with us.

In the last few years:

Fat roommate ate constantly and seldom bought groceries, has expensive taste and rarely cooks and complains about other people's cooking. He complained about our pets and committed adultry bringing that drama over on weeknights. Tried to take control of everything we did.

My brother in law constantly berated me for being a late virgin, not dating, not having a girlfriend at the time, acting like a know it all, sold some of my belongings without my knowledge because he was lousy with his own money even after helping him out several times.

My sister is a queen of mooches, using her illness to manipulate my guilty conscience. Constant stress when she has paramedics come frequently and since her husband was out on the road I had to make sure she was breathing. Would barely eat which was part of her problem and would never ask her husband to buy her things like meds and food because she claimed he was always broke.

Neither of them barely cleaned after themselves, especially the fat one. Every opportunity I used to stand up for myself ended up in huge shouting matches and I get ganged up on. They never took out the trash, and would get upset if it was never taken out. Dishes were another beast... My fault for racking up debt going to college since it was hard for me to move since I couldn't save up or my conscience would tell me they'd starve without me. I know I was being used.

The opportunity came when my brother in law got a better job hundreds of miles a way, the fat guy asked me what are "we" going to do. I laughed and started seeking for apts, I repeatedly told him that I'm going to live alone. He complained all he has is a crummy trailer in his parents large yard, as they live in a shoddy 2 bedroom mobile home. Helped him pack his stuff and move because his 450+ lb. lazy self wasn't capable of much. My sister begged and begged me to move with them and gave me this bull story of how my life would be so much better in OK.

Lesson learned is that if you're a responsible introvert who is being offered a roommate, just pass. Learn to budget because only you can learn to do without.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:51 PM

868 posts, read 962,929 times
I would choose to sleep in my car before I'd room with someone. No way would it work. I have a very severe need for privacy.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:58 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,826,098 times
It mystifies me why someone would second guess their own preferences. That is just weird.

Yeah . . .since you like living alone so much, force yourself to get some room mates and cure yourself of your mad desire for peace and serenity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships