Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 08:40 PM

44,251 posts, read 19,910,427 times

Advertisements

She may be a good friend, but she's awfully flaky! Never offer to pick her up again. If she wants to join you somewhere, then let her meet you there. I agree with another poster who said you are enabling her by putting up with her inconsiderate behavior.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:54 PM

249 posts, read 801,121 times
Well, I had a friend who would do an odd thing. She would say, "What are you doin' Friday? Okay, great, I'll call you around 7."
So, I would get all ready for 7pm on Friday and she would call very promptly. But the call would be to set up plans for Saturday or Sunday. She didn't originally clarify that she was only making a telephone appointment for Friday at 7. She was a lovely person, just that one little quirk.

But for your particular friend, I have a suggestion. Make all the preparations yourself, pack your car with two of everything, make a date to pick her up, and then without her knowledge or permission, drive her someplace far away and go camping for 3 days. At the end of the trip you two will either have learned to communicate, or be enemies for life. Either way, problem solved. And if there is no cell phone service in the camping area, you would both have to learn to live without texting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 09:06 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,633,940 times
All of my freinds live in computer/text land.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:08 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,528,051 times
I had a "friend" like that once--changing her mind at the last minute. After enduring her rude behavior twice, I talked to her about how frustrating it was. Well she couldn't believe that I'd be so upset about getting my hair done, buying something new to wear, and driving 30 minutes to her house, only to hear that she didn't feel like going out anymore and wanted to stay home and watch TV!

Although she finally got a clue and apologized, I stopped initiating any get-togethers with her and downgraded our relationship to one in which we would just talk on the phone once in a while.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:12 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,798,865 times
I used to have friends like that. They are losers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
All of my freinds live in computer/text land.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:17 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,930,504 times
I wouldn't be friends with these people.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:36 PM

17,552 posts, read 15,280,236 times
Quote:
She's a good friend I would say.
I sure wouldn't say that. "Good" friends don't flake out over and over again.

Had a couple people like that and after canceling on me 3 times, I no longer see them. We exchange the occasional email, but that's it. I don't consider them friends and I certainly won't make plans with them because...what's the point...they flake out each time.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:45 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,526,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltaway View Post
I came back into town for thanksgiving. I told my friend we should do something, and she agreed. The day before we texted said she could do it around 6. I said okay and that I would pick her up.The next afternoon I texted her and she never replied never said she couldnt go. Nothing! But I saw that she could facebook. :/ Another time I invited her somewhere she said okay. The day before I told her I would pick her. Luckily I had not left my house at that time because she never texted me that whole day. She finally texted me EXACTLY the same time I was suppose to have picked her up saying she couldn't make it. Why didn't she just tell me before she couldn't make it? What if I was already at her house and went to her house and she couldn't go. Here's another story. I picked her up from her house we made plans for her to stay the night at my house. She got in the back seat because someone else was in the front seat. We get to the restaurant Im like... wheres your stuff at? She's says she can't spend the night. Okay you should have told me this I would have never picked you up in the first place. I live on one side of the city,she lives on another side of the city and the freakin restaurant is on a other side. !This little stuff just annoys me! She's a good friend I would say. I'm just going to proceed with caution and not get my hopes up next time. Does anyone have any "friend" stories?
Hate is a strong word OP! I've had "colorful" friends who have done similar things in the past, I just made sure they only did it once. By the way, are you a male? this may explain why you've tolerated this cumbersome behavior in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
She may be a good friend, but she's awfully flaky! Never offer to pick her up again. If she wants to join you somewhere, then let her meet you there. I agree with another poster who said you are enabling her by putting up with her inconsiderate behavior.
^this.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:40 PM

102 posts, read 296,223 times
Okay I did not mean I hate her I mean I hate her actions. Just to make that clear. Yes I could actually call her that would be a good idea. She like alot of other people use their phones for everything! So of course she got my messages. I will not be inviting her anywhere anymore.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:10 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,199,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltaway View Post
She like alot of other people use their phones for everything! So of course she got my messages.
That might not necessarily be true. There are times when messages don't go through to my phone, which is one reason I won't get upset if someone doesn't text me back. If I need an answer immediately I'll just call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships