Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 12:27 PM

133 posts, read 498,370 times

Advertisements

An update: located my sister and brother on Facebook, but have not contacted them. searching county records i learned that my father and his wife divorced approximately 15 years ago and she has since remarried. my father lives with my sister as far as i can tell. Still not sure if i should contact them or not though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 12:43 PM

An update on an old post from the OP: learned that my later and his wife divorced almost a decade ago. He passed away earlier this year. I had a chance to attend the funeral but chose not to. Found brother, sister, and niece on Facebook but haven't sent any messages or friend requests. The only "proof" I have of a relationship with my father is a photo from about 25 years ago. Still trying to decide if I should initiate contact or just let it go.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:47 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michimaize View Post
An update on an old post from the OP: learned that my later and his wife divorced almost a decade ago. He passed away earlier this year. I had a chance to attend the funeral but chose not to. Found brother, sister, and niece on Facebook but haven't sent any messages or friend requests. The only "proof" I have of a relationship with my father is a photo from about 25 years ago. Still trying to decide if I should initiate contact or just let it go.
Are you saying that your father died earlier this year?

I've just finished reading the whole thread and to me it's clear that you are really wanting contact with your blood relatives.

Why not just discuss everything with your mother? In Dec of 2011 you were trying to figure out how to speak with her about things. Any progress on this front?

According to the dates on the thread, you've been thinking about this for a long time.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:22 PM

My mother passed away as well, so I have no way of obtaining any additional information. Around the time my father passed away, my mother was very sick and her memory wasn't all too clear.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:33 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Quote:
My mother passed away as well, so I have no way of obtaining any additional information. Around the time my father passed away, my mother was very sick and her memory wasn't all too clear.
I'm sorry to hear of this, and I hope the way I asked the question wasn't offensive to you.

If I had a half brother or sister and wasn't aware of their existence, I'm pretty sure I'd want to know. But that's only one opinion. Others on this thread have been strongly opposed to the idea. What do you think now?

Old 09-26-2014, 02:43 PM

33 posts, read 35,845 times
Go ahead and contact them. The worst that can happen is they will want nothing to do with you.

I few years ago I helped my grandmother get into contact with her half siblings she had never met. They were very accepting of her and they got to meet each other. However they were aware of her existence so it was no surprise.

Just because your father decided to have an affair and conceive you doesn't mean you should keep silent and not contact your half siblings. You're doing nothing wrong contacting them.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:51 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
I think since his death is fairly recent, you might want to wait a bit. They might not be in the right frame of mind to hear about their father's infidelity, if they remember their childhood family as a happy one. But in a year or so, when they've adjusted more to his passing, I would approach them. They really might want to know about a half sibling. Just be prepared for a negative reaction if that's not the case. I know from your posts that you won't push the relationship if they don't want one.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:52 PM

I would want to know if I were on their end of the situation. I'm having trouble trying to figure out what to say without it sounding really awkward.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:40 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
I would want to know if I were on their end of the situation. I'm having trouble trying to figure out what to say without it sounding really awkward.
Print out this thread and send it to them with a note at the bottom saying you really hope they will call (with your phone number of course).

I always appreciate an update to an old thread! So thanks for coming back.

But you've now had 3 years to agonize over this honey - just contact them and let the chips fall where they may

Personally I would want to know about you.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:28 PM

33 posts, read 35,845 times
Quote:
There's really no way to avoid it being awkward. Just say you're their half sibling and would like to have a relationship with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships