Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 06:58 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,238,675 times

Advertisements

If I were you...I'd find out their addresses, write them a letter( send it certified, so you're certain they receive it) explaining what you've told us that you don't want trouble, but wanted to open the door an if they reply go from there, if not, then you tried and the ball is in their court. I wish you the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 08:09 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And you're sure meeting these half siblings who may or may not know the OP exists is the answer to loneliness?

No one is blaming the OP, just giving warning that the OP could meet up with rejection that could be very hurtful. Sure it could all work out - they may greet the OP with open arms and give a big welcome, or they may make their resentments very known.

Of course the OP has every right to contact them, but also they have every right to respond however they might. I think that's why some of us have suggested the OP try to find out more first.
I didn't say doing this was "an answer to loneliness".

Sierra asked why anyone WOULD do this and I responded that maybe she's and only child and just wants some siblings - which is a reasonable thing in my book.

"Lonely only" is just an expression meaning an only child - perhaps you're not familiar with this old expression?

Old 11-30-2011, 09:38 AM

31,036 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
If I were you...I'd find out their addresses, write them a letter( send it certified, so you're certain they receive it) explaining what you've told us that you don't want trouble, but wanted to open the door an if they reply go from there, if not, then you tried and the ball is in their court. I wish you the best.
Knowing that they know of the relationship between your father and mother I would go with round4's advice or similar approach..Maybe an Email or PM on Facebook.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:27 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Maybe you could meet them socially on an individual basis. You don't have to tell them who you are. Meet as strangers and see what develops. My only living blood relative is my brothers daughter who knew only her stepfather. The mother didn't want her to know of my brother and rightfully so. I still own the family home as a rental and as an ironic twist, her family moved down the street. I've seen her once or twice and a friend of mine talked to her mother as I have always wanted to meet her. The mother was receptive as she is in her 20's now and knows the truth, however, she does not want to meet me. I respect that, but as my only living heir she is going to miss out on a nice nest egg. I'm glad she doesn't know about the money. It's nice that you have a family, and I understand your wanting to meet your half siblings. I've always wanted a family life but I would rather kill myself than spend any time with my husbands family, so be careful what you wish for. I hope it works out for you.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sierra asked why anyone WOULD do this and I responded that maybe she's and only child and just wants some siblings - which is a reasonable thing in my book.
It was "reasonable" when you were 3 and you were asking Mommy and Daddy for a brother or a sister. I this situation it is NOT! You don't go destroy the lives of a number of people who will reject you in the process anyway and have every right to do so, even if you ended up in this mess through no fault of your own. OK, I'm an only child, too. Perhaps it's "reasonable" for me to go steal me some siblings!

Old 11-30-2011, 12:37 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It was "reasonable" when you were 3 and you were asking Mommy and Daddy for a brother or a sister. I this situation it is NOT! You don't go destroy the lives of a number of people who will reject you in the process anyway and have every right to do so, even if you ended up in this mess through no fault of your own. OK, I'm an only child, too. Perhaps it's "reasonable" for me to go steal me some siblings!
Why do you insist that the ONLY outcome will be to destroy these peoples' lives?

Old 11-30-2011, 12:45 PM

44,354 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
It's not like we don't know about each other at this stage in our lives (I'm the youngest at 44), but what would we say? I know your situation is slightly different but the question of whether to contact them is a hard one. I seriously think if you want to contact them, you should. Think about how to do it though...perhaps contact one sibling and have them present it to the others. I don't think I'd go through their mother b/c she either doesn't know or she has put it behind her. Some will probably say to mind your business but who you are and where you came from are important and your father made choices. If he's alive, contact him. If someone gets their feelings hurt, well, time to take a big boy/girl pill and move past it. I think you'll always wonder if you don't do it now. I really don't think it has to be some earth shaking thing where lives are destroyed...that's so dramatic and unnecessary. They might be open to expanding their family and you, too, for that matter.

Good luck...let us know if you decide to contact them.
Excellent post.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:46 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Why do you insist that the ONLY outcome will be to destroy these peoples' lives?
Because, given the amount of pain it's likely to cause among all the parties involved, one has to be realistic.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:51 PM

44,354 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Unless he's very revengeful, what is the point of potentially ruining a marriage and the relationship this man has with his children? To you this whole disaster is worth it just so that he meets them once?! Because chances are close to 100% these "siblings" wouldn't want to have anything to do with him.
Not everyone has such a negative outlook on life. Chances are just as good that OP could form close and lasting relationships with these half-siblings.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:56 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Not everyone has such a negative outlook on life. Chances are just as good that OP could form close and lasting relationships with these half-siblings.
Right. And as long as there is a chance of that, AND as long as our OP understands it could go the other direction (rejection), there is no reason not to try.

The fear that some are expressing of others people lives being negatively impacted doesn't make sense to me. All these folks are grownups - if they can't handle the truth that's not our OP's problem.

I guess to some people the truth really is inconvenient, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be told!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships