U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a BEST friend
I am a woman and NO! 32 31.37%
I am a woman and YES! 27 26.47%
I am a man and NO! 19 18.63%
I am a man and YES! 24 23.53%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:44 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, to have a friend you have to be willing to BE a friend.

And you can meet potential friends in just about any place.

I found one of my very best friends here on City-Data

It started out that we posted often at the same time and had many of the same views. We progressed to dm'ing each other often and before you knew it we were meeting for lunch or dinner.

We kind of consider ourselves twins separated at birth
Yes, sometimes folks are just meant to cross paths.

I like to believe that God makes sure people who are supposed to find each other do - one way or the other.

So I am proud to say that I found one of my very best friends here on City-Data, too.

Treasured friends share one another's joys as well as sadnesses. Together, the burdens are lighter and the successes twice as sweet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 01:32 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
"Best friends are the siblings God forgot to give us."

Old 12-05-2011, 01:59 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,395,239 times
My best friend is a musician who lives in Los Angeles whom I've known for over 20 years. His band enjoyed a little success on the national level back in the day so some of you fans of the 1980s "hair bands" may have even heard of him. His name is Kip Winger.
Kip has been there for me during all of the turbulent times that often accompany a life devoted to sex and drugs and rock and roll. He game me a room to stay in at his SoCal McMansion when I was "between homes" for a few months in the early '90s. He has bailed me out of jail a couple times. We were best men at each others' weddings. And he helped me through a mega-nasty divorce I went through with my first wife.
When I finally sobered-up and went through rehab at Sierra Tucson about eight years ago, he flew out to Austin--where I live--from LA and then rented a vintage Lincoln Towncar convertable and and drove me to Tucson, letting me drink chilled Stoli all allong the way while he stayed sober. LOL.
I love Kip and would run a marathon over broken glass for him, and I'm pretty sure he'd do the same for me.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
My best friend is a musician who lives in Los Angeles whom I've known for over 20 years. His band enjoyed a little success on the national level back in the day so some of you fans of the 1980s "hair bands" may have even heard of him. His name is Kip Winger.
Kip has been there for me during all of the turbulent times that often accompany a life devoted to sex and drugs and rock and roll. He game me a room to stay in at his SoCal McMansion when I was "between homes" for a few months in the early '90s. He has bailed me out of jail a couple times. We were best men at each others' weddings. And he helped me through a mega-nasty divorce I went through with my first wife.
When I finally sobered-up and went through rehab at Sierra Tucson about eight years ago, he flew out to Austin--where I live--from LA and then rented a vintage Lincoln Towncar convertable and and drove me to Tucson, letting me drink chilled Stoli all allong the way while he stayed sober. LOL.
I love Kip and would run a marathon over broken glass for him, and I'm pretty sure he'd do the same for me.

Wow, what an awesome friend - he's really been there for you

Plus, the guy has real talent

Winger - Seventeen - YouTube

Old 12-05-2011, 02:12 PM

20,070 posts, read 14,373,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
In the movies, woman (especially) usually have a best friend who they spend lots of time with and are super close and tend to treat each other almost like a spouse. (Fighting and loving like a spouse but without the sex). Men usually have buddies but they are not intimate with their male friends, in fact they are more likely to hang out with a group and rarely have one close friend unless they are gay.

How close is this to your life? Do you have a best friend you are inseparable with? How often do you communicate with your best friend? (text, email email, phone, face to face?)
Don't forget to include the straight males, who act like females.

They befriend females to participate in these things: throwing tantrums, gossiping, complaining, and bickering, etc.

They are the worst!

Old 12-05-2011, 04:03 PM

5,499 posts, read 4,559,767 times
Quote:
Well, to have a friend you have to be willing to BE a friend.

And you can meet potential friends in just about any place.

I found one of my very best friends here on City-Data

It started out that we posted often at the same time and had many of the same views. We progressed to dm'ing each other often and before you knew it we were meeting for lunch or dinner.

We kind of consider ourselves twins separated at birth
That's wonderful! I myself have found a few "kindred spirits" here on CD that I would like to meet in person if given the opportunity.

A friend of 30+ years (with whom I've lost contact for about 10 years because of relocation) and I found each other again through the internet. She and I resumed the friendship to this day as if we never parted.

~In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures.
For in the dew of little things the heart finds it's morning and is refreshed.

Kahlil Gibran

Old 12-05-2011, 07:25 PM

38 posts, read 51,337 times
yes...i have....but i think best friends are not that kind of who are almost together one day...

i don't like doing everything together...just when i think something to help or important...i can think about her first..

Old 12-05-2011, 10:51 PM

3 posts, read 4,986 times
I am unsure how to answer this at the moment. I used to have very good girlfriends, but I quickly realized that the friendship was slightly one sided, and that we were complete opposites and craved different things in our friendships. I don't see anything wrong with having conflicting personalities, IF both parties can disagree and still maintain an amicable relationship. However, a lot of my friends have drifted apart since they are on a journey to establish themselves, so it saddens me to say that the best friend I DO have (as corny as it sounds) is my mother & myself. I do plan on rekindling old friendships, though.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
That's wonderful! I myself have found a few "kindred spirits" here on CD that I would like to meet in person if given the opportunity.

A friend of 30+ years (with whom I've lost contact for about 10 years because of relocation) and I found each other again through the internet. She and I resumed the friendship to this day as if we never parted.

~In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures.
For in the dew of little things the heart finds it's morning and is refreshed.

Kahlil Gibran
It IS wonderful, and a real blessing in my life

I too have found a few kindred spirits on this board in particular (you know who you are ) that if we lived in the same area I'd certainly like to get to know in person

Old 12-06-2011, 08:50 AM

530 posts, read 600,038 times
Quote:
It IS wonderful, and a real blessing in my life

I too have found a few kindred spirits on this board in particular (you know who you are ) that if we lived in the same area I'd certainly like to get to know in person
Now, havn't I asked you not to embarrass me like that?
Oh, I havn't? Gee, how embarrassing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or