U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-06-2011, 09:25 AM

3,681 posts, read 2,497,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
1) Most people set boundaries for lovers coming to the house and
2) The fact that holding hands/kissing etc. between gays bother you so much, indicates you have strong homophobia. But don't worry, homophobia will definitely keep any gay guy from wanting anything to do with you so you're safe.
1. Sexual attraction isn't as logical as you are making it sound. Sure, most people do set boundaries, but not everyone's boundaries are the same. And dare I say men and women generally have different boundaries.
2, Not being pro gay does not make me a homophobe. I'm not advocating for a witch hunt-- it's just that I am personally not comfortable watching them display intimacy.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
And it was answered.
The question is still there..

Old 12-06-2011, 09:30 AM

182 posts, read 152,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Would you be just as bothered if your straight male roommate was bringing a parade of female one-night-stands through the apartment, or is it just the idea of gay sex happening that's the problem? Gays don't do anything in the bedroom that straight people don't also do.
If my hetero male/female roomate has the ability score often, more power to them! Wouldnt bother me a bit. A lesbian roomate bringing home her lovers wouldnt bother me either. In fact I would encourage it! And YES, the very idea of gay male sex disgusts me enough to not want a gay dude roomate. I think you have the right to be as gay as you wish. Heck! Fill your room with Liberace.Rock Hudson and Justin Beiber posters for all I care. But it would have to be a room somewhere else.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:31 AM

10,283 posts, read 3,045,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
1. Sexual attraction isn't as logical as you are making it sound. Sure, most people do set boundaries, but not everyone's boundaries are the same. And dare I say men and women generally have different boundaries.
Do they? Seems to me most people, regardless of sex or orientation agree on being respectful in a roommate situation.

Quote:
2, Not being pro gay does not make me a homophobe. I'm not advocating for a witch hunt-- it's just that I am personally not comfortable watching them display intimacy.
Which is defined as "aversion to homosexuals or homosexuality". That's part of the definition of "homophobia".

You may not have a severe case of homophobia if you don't have extreme hatred and hostility towards gays, but you still have a strong aversion.

Here is a homophobia questionnaire, we could always see where you fall.

How 'homophobic' Are You? | Assault On Gay America | FRONTLINE | PBS

They even have questions asking if you would feel uncomfortable having a gay roommate or having them make advances towards you.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:34 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,513,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Would you be just as bothered if your straight male roommate was bringing a parade of female one-night-stands through the apartment, or is it just the idea of gay sex happening that's the problem? Gays don't do anything in the bedroom that straight people don't also do.
Well, let's put it this way. Would you room with a hetero guy? Would you be cool with sharing a bathroom with the guy. Would you be comfortable strolling around in your undies around him, too? Heck, when I had my college roomie, I felt as if I were always being checked out by him or his friends.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:38 AM

12,400 posts, read 9,368,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, let's put it this way. Would you room with a hetero guy? Would you be cool with sharing a bathroom with the guy. Would you be comfortable strolling around in your undies around him, too? Heck, when I had my college roomie, I felt as if I were always being checked out by him or his friends.
I think in a roommate situation, the individual roommate's personalities matter more than their sexual orientation. A good roommate is going to be tidy and respectful, no matter who they're banging. And I'd never be walking around in underwear in front of any roommate, male or female, straight or gay. That's what bathrobes and clothes are for.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:42 AM

Flyers

Quote:
Do they? Seems to me most people, regardless of sex or orientation agree on being respectful in a roommate situation.
Really? Most men who are attracted to women make it known in some way shape or form. The roomate situation is just another obstacle--no different from a crowded bar. Either way, it'll come out eventually. And it's not about "respect", you can still be respectful and have a romantic interest in a roomate.

Quote:
Which is defined as "aversion to homosexuals or homosexuality". That's part of the definition of "homophobia". You may not have a severe case of homophobia if you don't have extreme hatred and hostility towards gays,
An "aversion" to homosexuals would insinuate that I avoid them altogether--which is not true. As I mentioned before, I had a gay boss once and a gay supervisor before as well. I never made any attempt get from under their authority.

I also mentioned earlier that I spend quite a bit of time in lower Manhattan, where there are a lot of different people there including gays. I see them in restaurants, clothing stores and just about any other place of business. I don't go out of my way to avoid them, I am just not comfortable with sharing my personal space with them and having greater insite into their lifestyle which would include intimacy. That does not make me a raging homophobe.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:44 AM

15,480 posts, read 7,391,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I had straight male roommates in college. Didn't bother me at all. One of them even had a little crush on me. Still didn't bother me. And the only times that I've strolled around in my undies in front of a roommate were when I was on tour and my roommates were in the shows with me - so we saw each other in our undies backstage as well. I also have no problem with my lesbian friends seeing me in my undies. The roommates that I have had that I was not doing a show with or were not my close friends - meaning that our relationship was basically just a roommate relationship and not a close friendship or working relationship - have never seen me stroll around in my undies.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:48 AM

138 posts, read 108,445 times
A gay roomate? Probably not. Would the apartment be painted pink? Would I have to listen to Barry Manilow, The Village People and Celine Dion records all day? And I just dont think I'd want to hear those IMO disgusting sounds coming from his room when he is banging his boytoy. Ugh! No thanks! Now I could have me some lesbian roomies! Hell yea!

Old 12-06-2011, 10:04 AM

8,257 posts, read 10,563,866 times
Quote:
Yes, you are a homophobe. A hypocritical one, no less.
"PHOBIA" from the Latin "fear." I do not fear gay guys. I just dont like what they do. Amazing how anyone who disagrees with you is a homophobe. Since you are apparently afraid of women maybe youre phobic? Try it sometime. The vagina is a wonderful thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships