U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 11:06 PM

884 posts, read 1,524,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
DUDE. Did you READ the OP???? It's a question...on a forum. Oy.
Of course I did! I was just talking about other posts that had been made that, as you can see, irked me quite a bit.

I've already answered it a while back by saying that my three straight male roommates have zero issue with it, which is the way it should be. One of them has been one of my best friends for a long time, too.

Edit: To your last question, maybe it wasn't you. There were a few doing that, so sorry if I got you confused with someone else. The goal was just to make a point, not to single you out or anything.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:17 PM

26,004 posts, read 33,018,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
Of course I did! I was just talking about other posts that had been made that, as you can see, irked me quite a bit.

I've already answered it a while back by saying that my three straight male roommates have zero issue with it, which is the way it should be. One of them has been one of my best friends for a long time, too.

Edit: To your last question, maybe it wasn't you. Sorry if I got you confused with someone else.
And that's fine that they have no issues, but not everyone must have exactly the same feelings and comfort level. That's what you don't seem to be able to grasp...and I cannot understand why. We ALL have our own preferences as to the types of people that we can share living spaces with. For you, or ANYONE, to even consider for one moment that you should be able to tell others what that level should be, is absolutely absurd.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:29 PM

884 posts, read 1,524,743 times
No not really, because being gay is a personal trait that is out of one's control. It's like saying "Well his/her eyes that are this weird mix of blue and green kind of creep me out so I don't want to live with him/her." It's not like the person who is always late on paying rent. That can be "fixed". Or the person who never picks up after themselves. It's unfair to decline a possible roommate for what they are instead of who they are.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:58 PM

8,309 posts, read 34,417,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I think it's a fairly straight-forward question. Would you be comfortable with a gay roommate who was the same gender as you?
Is this roommate butch or is he pretty flaming? I would probably have an easier time with a flaming roommate and it would be a lot better if he was a hairdresser with well groomed eyebrows and no back-hair that women feel comfortable opening up to.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:23 AM

9,324 posts, read 23,808,765 times
Funny thing but tonight one of my gay friends had called me to help him make arrangements to pick him up at the train station when he visits for Christmas vacation. He will stay at his parent's home but also wants to visit me for a day to see my new place. He had reminded me that a few years back he had stayed with me in Key Largo at my home in the library on the convertible couch. I think that since all my gay friends spent a lot of time with their dad's they are not effeminate. A straight friend of mine always wanted to hang out with my gay friend to get workout advice and a little "supplement" help and was also rewarded with some female companionship since my friend was a personal trainer. Surprisingly he told me that he has not been having sex for a while and said he's becoming more like me, with more of an interest in science than finding guys. I just do not see why some straight guys are so afraid of the gays. Women have pursued me a few times but no gay man ever has.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:37 AM

5,702 posts, read 16,199,150 times
This thread caught my eye because a gay friend of mine (male) was hinting strongly about moving in with me or us I should say. I am married with a child. First off, I don't mind when family visits for a weekend and stays with us but come sunday morning I'm a bit relieved when they leave. So I am not fond of any roommate situation to begin with but the fact my friend is gay kind of complicates it more in regards to someone staying with me longer than a weekend. I am open minded and so is my husband but my friend can be overwhelming. He tends to be a bit too graphic at times telling me about his sex life. My girlfriends that I have known for years don't provide such intimate details. So every now and then I have to politely tell him, that I just don't need to know. I can tell it irks him but oh well.

He is also very flamboyant and we live in a conservative area. Its not my cup of tea but I'm not about to start any revolutions either. The last time he visited he was making some comments rather loudly in a restaurant about how some of the people were dressed. I don't want to be put in a situation where I would need to defend him if someone should want to sock him out. He is all about fashion and a snob about it. I guess some would say he is some what of a stereotype. He is also highly emotional and that crap gets on my nerves fast. Of course this is his personality and simply wouldn't work with mine full time but to be completely honest, the gay factor was something I wasn't sure if I wanted to live with. If I was single maybe I wouldn't care but I have others in my home to think about. I think it really depends on the personality more than anything I guess. He and his boyfriend patched things up so before I had to tell him no, he was back on cloud 9. Wheew.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:44 AM

1,592 posts, read 2,965,055 times
if my roommate likes Train, does that mean he's gay?

Old 12-07-2011, 04:00 AM

14,123 posts, read 20,898,223 times
No because they'd be getting it more than me

Old 12-07-2011, 05:03 AM

8,262 posts, read 16,376,540 times
Quote:
WOW. Way to totally contradict yourself within 5 words.
No contadiction Gomer. Lesbians dont disgust me. Gay guys do. Its so simple even Nathan Lane could grasp it.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:35 AM

26,004 posts, read 33,018,112 times
Quote:
No not really, because being gay is a personal trait that is out of one's control. It's like saying "Well his/her eyes that are this weird mix of blue and green kind of creep me out so I don't want to live with him/her." It's not like the person who is always late on paying rent. That can be "fixed". Or the person who never picks up after themselves. It's unfair to decline a possible roommate for what they are instead of who they are.
I completely disagree. I would not want to live with an Indian person. I have nothing against Indian people, but I have a strong aversion to the smell of curry, and curry is a known staple of Indian people. I cannot tolerate walking into most Indian restaurants just because of the smell. I have been stuffed into plane seats beside people that have eaten curry, and almost vomited. There is nothing that I can do about that. So I avoid curry as best I can, and I would not ever ask an Indian roommate to NOT eat something that is a known part of their culture. Is it a generalization? Of course it is. But when one is selecting someone to share living quarters with, then obviously you will use all those little pieces of knowledge that you have soaked up to make that decision. That is called LIFE, and we all do it, everyday. I am not comfortable with displays of gay intimacy, and I would not live with a gay roommate, as it would be unfair to ask them to abstain from that.

If you have never read the book "Blink", I suggest that you go pick it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships