Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:56 AM

6 posts, read 19,033 times

Advertisements

I am 17 years old and don't have many close friends,and my mom said that it takes a while before you become friends with someone. Do you agree? Does it take a while for you to become friends with someone or do you become friends with people quick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 10:10 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times
I consider people friends fairly quickly. But sometimes (quite a few times actually) I realize later on that I don't want to be friends with them (whether it be that we don't hit it off, or I can sense they don't want to be my friend, or they do something that shows they're not a true friend). There are also some people that I used to enjoy spending time with but not anymore. Something like that happened recently.

I guess you could say it's easy for me to consider someone a friend, but it's also easy for me to stop thinking of someone as a friend.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:35 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
I think that it does take longer to be friends or consider someone as your friend, but it doesn't take that long to consider someone as an acquaintance. I consider most people I've met in life as part of the acquaintance group but few are close friends. Mean while my friend considers a lot of people as her friends and few are consider as acquaintance. Think about the time and personality that plays a role in making friends with other people. That explains a lot why my friend can talk to a stranger and befriend with them while I can't.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:34 AM

I should warn you that sometimes my quickness to consider someone a friend ends up hurting me. Sometimes I end up thinking someone is my friend only to find out they never thought of me as a friend. But unless I can immediately tell I don't hit it off with someone, there's no screening process I can use when I first meet someone. So I think of them as a friend until I have a reason to think otherwise.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:38 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,011,688 times
Less to do with the amount of time and more to do with the amount of meaningful interaction.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:39 AM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
It depends..... there are levels so to speak....

A long lasting and true friend takes a long time.... its sorta like FB and other sites.... you have acquittances and closer "friends."

Old 09-18-2010, 01:53 PM

881 posts, read 1,112,370 times
I make freinds really quickly, BUT I consider us friends after we have made it through our first misunderstanding, or made up after our first fight.... then I know we are friends and we care about each other.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misswee View Post
I make freinds really quickly, BUT I consider us friends after we have made it through our first misunderstanding, or made up after our first fight.... then I know we are friends and we care about each other.
Sometimes I stop being friends with someone after our first misunderstanding/fight if it's for a trivial reason. Long story, but I tried to be nice/helpful and a former friend found a way to put a negative spin on it. I don't need friends like that.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:10 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
I don't know that it's really about how long, but how well you get on with someone. There are people I have known for years that I wouldn't consider friends, and those I've known for 6 months who are dear to me.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:27 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
It depends. Someone you meet in classes or randomly yea it will take a while. At least a few times of meeting up with them hanging out etc..

But for example I had two people I lived with when I moved to Barcelona for 5months and they became good friends in days. I lived with them, we already had many meals together went out together those people became close friends in a matter of a week or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships