Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 07:41 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,358,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk50 View Post
Good point. Sometimes I feel staying out of their way is the best idea. They are the overprotective kind.
How dare they be protective of their unstable (one that needs meds) child. I mean they've only raised you from the diaper stage til now. Dude, you better STOP making excuses (take your meds) for your silly behavior and START treating your parents like you have some sense. How in the world is staying in your room going to make things better. For someone that is on the verge of graduating from college you sound very immature. Wait til you have kids of your own and then, you'll understand the attachment issues some parents have when it comes to letting their child(ren) go into the real world.

If i were you, i'd play nice and do what it takes to maintain peace in the household (NOT LOCKING YOURSELF IN A ROOM). What if they lock up the pantry, kitchen, living room or better yet change the locks to the door..how would you like that? THINK!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 07:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Okay, here's my thoughts on this.

First of all, if you are taking meds to control anxiety, then that still doesn't get you off the hook for learning coping skills that allow you to filter your responses to other people and react appropriately when others are engaging you in conversation.

You should not be taking meds without a therapist helping you to learn to COPE with other people. If your parents nag you and the only way you can avoid escalating the conversation into a dramatic encounter, then bad on them for nagging you . . . but bad on you for not taking responsibility to learn how to answer queries, even those that you think are impolite or none of their business, in a manner that does not escalate the conversation into a screaming match.

Perhaps the only coping skill you have developed is to go to your room and avoid contact. That is very sad indeed, b/c you are creating your own prison by not being able to cope w/ your parents.

I am not trying to put you down. And I don't mean to imply your parents are "off the hook" if they approach you in an aggressive manner. I am concerned that the medical system will recognize that patients need assistance w/ anxiety and hand them a pill - but never do anything to help them develop the coping skills necessary to deal with their lives.

Is there any way you and your parents could go to a counseling session with someone in order to come up with better ways to communicate so that you do not feel cornered (or whatever it is you feel)?

This is important b/c once you get out of school, you will want to start a career . . . and there are just gonna be other people around you at times who are gonna cause you anxiety. Learning how to deal with conversations (and especially confrontations!) without immediately resorting to that "fight or flight" feeling is essential in the work place.

I wish you the best with all this and am sorry that you feel you must isolate yourself from your parents to have some peace in your life.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:00 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
I don't understand the point of the post ?

Do you want us to pat you on the back and tell you what a brave little soldier you are ?

Or do you want us to point out what a spoiled, immature selfish brat you are being ?

You know this happens when you've no meds, and yet you "know this will just happen again in a weeks time, or least when I run out of my meds again"

Grow up !!

Quote:
-Living with my parents until January when I graduate from college

-I used to get into arguments (nothing physical) with my parents often, until about a year ago when I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder

-The medication basically made these fights non existant

-I ran out of meds this week

-A few days ago, we got into an argument

-I have not spoken or seen them since; I wake up, go to school, come home, go straight to my room

-I don't want to make amends because I know this will just happen again in a weeks time, or least when I run out of my meds again

-All they do is get on my case about things, disrupt me from studying, and helicopter over me

-I figure if they don't see me, I won't be stressing them out

That's all, just had to get it off my chest.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:04 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times

Be an adult, take your meds, grow up, or move out.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:15 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

First of all, if you are taking meds to control anxiety, then that still doesn't get you off the hook for learning coping skills that allow you to filter your responses to other people and react appropriately when others are engaging you in conversation.

You should not be taking meds without a therapist helping you to learn to COPE with other people. If your parents nag you and the only way you can avoid escalating the conversation into a dramatic encounter, then bad on them for nagging you . . . but bad on you for not taking responsibility to learn how to answer queries, even those that you think are impolite or none of their business, in a manner that does not escalate the conversation into a screaming match.

Perhaps the only coping skill you have developed is to go to your room and avoid contact. That is very sad indeed, b/c you are creating your own prison by not being able to cope w/ your parents.

I am not trying to put you down. And I don't mean to imply your parents are "off the hook" if they approach you in an aggressive manner. I am concerned that the medical system will recognize that patients need assistance w/ anxiety and hand them a pill - but never do anything to help them develop the coping skills necessary to deal with their lives.

Is there any way you and your parents could go to a counseling session with someone in order to come up with better ways to communicate so that you do not feel cornered (or whatever it is you feel)?

This is important b/c once you get out of school, you will want to start a career . . . and there are just gonna be other people around you at times who are gonna cause you anxiety. Learning how to deal with conversations (and especially confrontations!) without immediately resorting to that "fight or flight" feeling is essential in the work place.

I wish you the best with all this and am sorry that you feel you must isolate yourself from your parents to have some peace in your life.
Great post

Hope he's listening

Old 12-03-2011, 01:18 PM

471 posts, read 481,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Thank you. I appreciate your well thought out, kind post.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:27 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Thank you. I appreciate your well thought out, kind post.
And do you plan on following through on both this and other good advice you've received?

Old 12-03-2011, 01:31 PM

471 posts, read 481,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
And do you plan on following through on both this and other good advice you've received?
I hope so, when I'm feeling a bit better.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:59 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
Sorry to be the contrarian here, but I think some ppl are being excessively hard on OP here The fact that his parents are his parents, does not automatically give them a green light to breach polite protocol in dealing with their son by being verbally or emotionally abusive. OP is an adult, and should be treated so, by his parents. The parents should still observe reasonable boundaries. Also I think some ppl may perhaps be forgetting just exactly how hard it is, for young ppl to just "move out" and make their way with a snap of their fingers, in this current global economic recession.

I admit I may be biased here, if only b/c the situation is kinda reversed for me (my non-spousal / immediate family of adult parent and adult sibling are financially-dependent on me, but are sometimes very disrespectful and frequently try to micromanage me and tell me what to do, if I don't put my foot down when necessary).

Old 12-04-2011, 03:06 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Sorry to be the contrarian here, but I think some ppl are being excessively hard on OP here The fact that his parents are his parents, does not automatically give them a green light to breach polite protocol in dealing with their son by being verbally or emotionally abusive. OP is an adult, and should be treated so, by his parents. The parents should still observe reasonable boundaries. Also I think some ppl may perhaps be forgetting just exactly how hard it is, for young ppl to just "move out" and make their way with a snap of their fingers, in this current global economic recession.

I admit I may be biased here, if only b/c the situation is kinda reversed for me (my non-spousal / immediate family of adult parent and adult sibling are financially-dependent on me, but are sometimes very disrespectful and frequently try to micromanage me and tell me what to do, if I don't put my foot down when necessary).
Bottom line my friend, it's his parents house.

Parent's house - parent's rules.

Their attitudes and ways of communicating with him are neither here nor there.

His failure to do his part to stay mentally healthy is what is responsible for the altercations that they have had.

Remember, he said when he is on his medication the fights are "nonexistent".

When you are a guest in someone else's home you act like a good guest or you'll be asked to leave eventually.

The choice to be allowed to stay is still up to him, but he must do his part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships