U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 01:38 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,624,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
The give away kshe, 'From the OP'

This poster has more stories, under more pen names than novel writers.
I hear ya!
I dont care how much the deceased was disliked, no one behaves that way at a funeral, except in the movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 01:44 PM

26,403 posts, read 62,617,980 times
Only when I killed them.

Just kidding.

I do not hate people. It takes too much energy that can be better used for other things. If somone annoys me, I just ignroe them or avoid them.

As a young teen we used to dress up and go to huge funerals for a free meal. However we did that more often at weddings. At fuenerals sometimes you woudl get cornered by someone who wanted to talk about the deceased and it woudl be really awful if you got found out. At a wedding, it was just kind of funny if you got caught. Plus weddings were more fun. If it was in a hotel, you could bring your swom suit and go for a swim as well. (I was nto very nice as a teen).

Old 12-08-2011, 02:02 PM

511 posts, read 2,075,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I hear ya!
I dont care how much the deceased was disliked, no one behaves that way at a funeral, except in the movies.
FALSE! Most of the funerals I have been to are full of people who went just for curiosity. They were: very old friends that felt guilty they had not kept in touch; were lawyers and estate planners looking for work; distant relatives who were looking for an excuse to see everyone together on a day other than Christmas; office mates who went out of obligation and oddballs who wanted to see how the body looked.

You holyer than thou folks are not typical to the average person. There is very little real mourning at a typical funeral from most people. Life and death just go on and on!

Old 12-08-2011, 02:05 PM

9,415 posts, read 11,677,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
You holyer than thou folks are not typical to the average person. There is very little real mourning at a typical funeral from most people. Life and death just go on and on!
I am 48 years old and I have never been to a funeral like the ones you describe. Unlike you and your kind I have respect for the dead no matter how they lived their lives. There is always something decent to say about them.

I am just so disgusted in your attitude towards death and the lack of respect shown. If this is how 'typical' people act then I am glad I am not a typical human being.

Disgraceful.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
FALSE! Most of the funerals I have been to are full of people who went just for curiosity. They were: very old friends that felt guilty they had not kept in touch; were lawyers and estate planners looking for work; distant relatives who were looking for an excuse to see everyone together on a day other than Christmas; office mates who went out of obligation and oddballs who wanted to see how the body looked.

You've watched waaaay too many bad movies, and I would be willing to bet you have never been to a funeral in your entire brief life, because you cannot be very old.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I am 48 years old and I have never been to a funeral like the ones you describe. Unlike you and your kind I have respect for the dead no matter how they lived their lives. There is always something decent to say about them.

I am just so disgusted in your attitude towards death and the lack of respect shown. If this is how 'typical' people act then I am glad I am not a typical human being.

Disgraceful.
The OP has never been to a real funeral, trust me on that one.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:28 PM

7,376 posts, read 12,848,048 times
enemies? Do you mean al qaeda?

Old 12-08-2011, 03:02 PM

2,936 posts, read 5,212,947 times
If you aren't going to invest time with me when you were alive, why would I invest time with you when you were dead?

Old 12-08-2011, 06:23 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,833,593 times
No, I wouldn't go, but then, again, I wouldn't go unless it was a really close friend or family member. No disrespect for the tradition, but I get skeeved out at the thought of standing there looking at a dead body. I'd rather remember friends and family as they were alive, and as for enemies, I would rather not remember them at all.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:10 PM

663 posts, read 937,679 times
My dad died a couple months ago and there was a memorial get-together for the family a couple weeks later. My dad and one of his brothers hated each other most their lives but his brother still attended the memorial. He didn't seem to be there for any negative reason and it was nice to have him there. Perhaps he wasn't really in mourning but as an adult, he knows how to put those feelings aside and be there with and for his family.

I think a real adult would either not attend a funeral for someone they hated, or they would attend and put their feelings aside for the day. I would not attend a funeral for someone I hated as much as the OP describes - what would be the point? Funerals are for the living and I would not disrespect someone's family in that manner, regardless of what I believed their nearest and dearest felt about the deceased.

And who in the h*ll has ever gone to a funeral out of curiousity? Curious about what a dead body looks like? You must hang out with some strange folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships