U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Send flowers to a good friend of 40+ years when her parent dies?
You pick up the phone and call your friend. 11 64.71%
You send a sympathy card. 10 58.82%
You send flowers. 12 70.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 03:19 PM

1,325 posts, read 3,631,721 times

Advertisements

I do all 3. I call, send flowers, and send a card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 04:42 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,513,202 times
Of course I would call first, then attend the funeral, if at all possible. If the deceased has close ties to a charity or church, it's always thoughtful to send a monetary gift there in the person's name. Sometimes obituaries even specify "in lieu of flowers, the family would like donations to be sent to XXX." One of my cousins died recently and his wife asked for donations to the local food bank where he did volunteer work. I collected money from all the cousins and we sent a group donation. Not only did the food bank send her a lovely letter, but they sent us one, too, detailing how the food bank used the donation and describing the people assisted by their work.

If I don't know a family's chosen charity, rather than flowers I opt for a gift of a book in the deceased name to his or her local library. Most libraries will put a plate in the front of a book stating, "Donated in memory of XX." Some actually allow you to choose the topic of the book they will buy with the donation. I was once able to donate a book about gardening in memory of a friend's mother who was a dedicated gardener. Larger libraries generally just accept donations to their general fund but send a nice card to whomever you designate announcing the gift. I like a book because it's a tangible object in memory of the deceased and it can be done even if the deceased was a friend of yours and you don't even know his or her family.

One of the nicest tangible memorials I've ever seen is in Ocean Grove, NJ. That town allows people to buy a park bench, which is placed on the beach or the pier, in a person's memory. When I sit on those benches I always read the plaques and think what a thoughtful way that is to honor a loved one. I imagine other towns must do something similar. It's probably beyond the reach of most individuals financially, but it's something a whole family could do. It's an especially thoughtful choice for a person with close ties to their hometown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships