Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are iMacs and iPads mere status symbols?
Yes 12 26.67%
No 33 73.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:23 PM

20,271 posts, read 37,040,759 times

Advertisements

Hmmm...how about the people (like me) who use both PC and Mac? At work we use both, too. At home I use Macs because that's what I got used to from the beginning.

By the way, to me computers are like politics or religion. All you have to do is to read your own posts Why not being an independent computer user and taking advantage of the best from each computer platform?

By the way, if you don't want to be bothered by the lunatic Apple fans hanging around the Apple stores, just don't look. Pretend that they are just waiting for Big Macs at "Mickey D's." Why getting an ulcer over it?
----------

That said, have you seen the Canon versus Nikon fans arguing with each other? How about the Fords versus Chevys fans?

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-21-2011 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 10:19 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,914,193 times
I remember when Mac users were the persecuted minority. Not sure what Apple's share of the PC market is, but I think Windows-based PC's are probably still dominant. I think Apple has become so common there's no longer that much snobbishness attached to them. Why would you be proud of a product so many other people own? It sure doesn't make you special. Yes, the ipad is a bit faddish, and a lot of it is slick marketing, but Apple products do have a lot going for them. I've always used Windows, but I wouldn't be averse to going to Apple. I don't really have a preference anymore, tbh, since I don't play computer games much. I've had my trusty ipod for years now, and itunes is better than WMP.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:08 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,042,295 times
I'm run Linux and everyone hates me!

Old 12-22-2011, 12:37 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,108,689 times
I have been a Mac user for years and for me its because I enjoy the system. When it became more popular I had mixed feelings about it. I enjoyed not being main stream but then the more offerings of software made my mac more enjoyable.

As far as being all self righteous about it, just makes me think you are getting a taste of your own meds. Didnt you get all over some guy about what he feeds his kid recently? You felt your meal was much better.

Self righteousness isn't so much fun when you are on the receiving end.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:19 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,663,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I have been a Mac user for years and for me its because I enjoy the system. When it became more popular I had mixed feelings about it. I enjoyed not being main stream but then the more offerings of software made my mac more enjoyable.

As far as being all self righteous about it, just makes me think you are getting a taste of your own meds. Didnt you get all over some guy about what he feeds his kid recently? You felt your meal was much better.

Self righteousness isn't so much fun when you are on the receiving end.
In truth, my meal selection was TRULY healthy. No debate

But there's a huge debate as to which one has enriched humanity better - mac or windows? There are advocates religiously arguing on either side.

But oily french fries versus grilled chicken breast. There's no debate

Brings me to the famed topic again. There was another so-called dessert party a while ago in the office. People loaded up on sweets and confectionaries. I just drank coffee while socializing there for an hour at least. People admired my discipline and self-control. So it's not like I am going around annoying everyone. I put it across to them in a very docile manner and they appreciated my decision, while others were swarming around desserts like flies on a jackfruit

They can use a little people skill and leave windows users alone or simply further their point in a non-aggressive way, like I did with the kid's Dad.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:36 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,412,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
But there's a huge debate as to which one has enriched humanity better - mac or windows?
Enriching humanity, huh? There are a lot of things I consider to have enriched humanity. Personal computers, however, are low on my list, regardless of operating system.

It's this kind of "Oh, my GOD, my iPhone CHANGED MY LIIIIIFE" drivel that I find tiresome. Tech is important, and obviously has the capacity to impact human life for the better in many contexts. I don't, however, consider access to Angry Birds and having the ability to sit through social events with one's eyes and fingers glued to an itty bitty screen to be all that lifechanging, for the better, at least. Just me. It's a phone. If it really changed your life, I'm not sure what that says about your life.

I don't really fall into the "What did we ever do without [fill in the blank with random device that is merely used for convenience, and is not a true necessity of life]" camp on any counts. Are personal tech devices convenient? Sure. But that's all. I don't ever want to be a person who feels crippled, lost, or unable to function if I were to not have access to a smartphone or computer, and I certainly know people where this is the case.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:44 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,663,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Enriching humanity, huh? There are a lot of things I consider to have enriched humanity. Personal computers, however, are low on my list, regardless of operating system.

It's this kind of "Oh, my GOD, my iPhone CHANGED MY LIIIIIFE" drivel that I find tiresome. Tech is important, and obviously has the capacity to impact human life for the better in many contexts. I don't, however, consider access to Angry Birds and having the ability to sit through social events with one's eyes and fingers glued to an itty bitty screen to be all that lifechanging, for the better, at least. Just me. It's a phone. If it really changed your life, I'm not sure what that says about your life.

I don't really fall into the "What did we ever do without [fill in the blank with random device that is merely used for convenience, and is not a true necessity of life]" camp on any counts. Are personal tech devices convenient? Sure. But that's all. I don't ever want to be a person who feels crippled, lost, or unable to function if I were to not have access to a smartphone or computer, and I certainly know people where this is the case.
Enriched humanity, yes

If not for Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, you in Middle America won't be communicating with me in periphery America and the rest of the folks across the globe, discussing whether their legacy truly enriched the world

Old 12-22-2011, 08:10 AM

28,896 posts, read 54,045,943 times
My God, what a vapid thread. It's so stupid that I feel forced to participate just so I can beat you Mac/PC aficionados about the head and shoulders.

As a former PC user who switched to a Mac a few years back, I can tell you that the PC snobbery is just as bad--if not worse. For a long time, I'd produce my laptop in a meeting without fanfare and suddenly the Windows users start taking gratuitous swipes at the thing. Of course, now you don't hear it nearly as often, but there's still the occasional remark from some IT guy. My engineer brother-in-law is one of those guys. He used to always rag on my laptop until the day I finally asked, "John, I'd take you a little more seriously if your computer actually worked. You're always fixing it." That shut him up for good. So the stupidity really works both ways. Some Mac users are indeed snobs and aesthetes. Some PC users are reverse snobs.

Here's the thing. A computer is a tool. That's it. And if you get your identity from the computer you use in your daily life and work, then you really have some major issues.

The reason for my switch? I found that the Mac requires far less upkeep and maintenance. Basically, after eight years and two laptops, my total maintenance time on my Macs have been way less than the time I've spent dealing with the HP my daughter got for Christmas last year. And given my billable rate, every second I spend dinking with my computer equals lost revenue. In fact, I worked out the math. If I saved 5 minutes a month dealing with my computer, the Mac would more than pay for itself. I'm rather competent technically. But I also recognize that screwing endlessly with my laptop isn't the same thing as being productive. The thing starts up and works 12 hours a day, every day. It acquires networks flawlessly (Something that is important to me given how much time I spend in client offices and airports). I have called technical support once in eight years, and that required all of twenty minutes to resolve. As far as the appearance of the computer, I could care less what the shell looks like. It could be made of wood for all I care.

At the same time, if you prefer a PC, that doesn't make you some pocket-protector-wearing Neanderthal. It just means you need to use your computer in a different way. In that sense, your computer is about as much of a status symbol as the oatmeal you buy at the grocery store.

Last edited by cpg35223; 12-22-2011 at 09:18 AM..

Old 12-22-2011, 08:24 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,128,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I heard this great joke...

Q: How do you know someone has an ipad?
A: They'll tell you.

Apple people are obnoxious. I can't even begin a conversation about computers without some mac user starting up about how if I had a mac, I wouldn't have this problem or that problem. Well, gee, what an effin' helpful comment.

LOL

Sounds like a very hipster response

Old 12-22-2011, 08:33 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,896,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Once you go Mac, you never go back.
So true. I'll never buy another windows computer.

Also, I think more artistic people are Mac users as well. Photography, script writing, digital art, moviemaking, etc. are just more commonly used on Macs. Sure those programs are available on windows computers, but for some reason, they just seem to operate better on Macs.

Went in a local Starbucks the other day (with my macbook pro) and looked around all all the folks who were already sitting with their computers it was Macbook, Macbook, Macbook pro, macbook pro, macbook pro, macbook pro, iPad, iPad, Macbook, Macbook pro, Windows computer. The Windows guy was the guy who wheels his what I call "Command Center" in on a radio flyer type wagon and sits there a games all day. He probably has $5000-$7000 worth of comp equipment in his "command center".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships