Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are iMacs and iPads mere status symbols?
Yes 12 26.67%
No 33 73.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 03:00 PM

748 posts, read 1,314,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
lol, meanie!
heehee... I am evil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 03:11 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,468,509 times
I use VMware,cisco, linux, sun, Mac, android and windows. Out of all those systems, windows does suck the most.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:18 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Look, I really don't want to turn this into a Mac vs. PC debate, but your point is untenable.
At what point did I suggest this should become a Mac vs. PC debate? I never said one was better than the other, I was just making jokes about Mac users.

Quote:
I'm way past the point in my life where I need a status symbol. I don't hang out in coffee shops writing blog posts or screenplays, and I typically dress like an accountant on his day off.
Good for you. I don't remember ever accusing you specifically of doing these things.

Quote:
And I really don't feel the need to comment on other's choices in technology, since that to me is the symptom of an insecure mind.
Thanks for hurling insults

Quote:
I likely have been using computers every day for way longer than you have been alive)
Would you like a trophy?

Quote:
and stays very busy in his professional life, I prefer the Mac.
I believe I just suggested that this is indeed possible even when not wearing organic shoes in order to stick it to the man.

Quote:
Here's the thing. The vast majority of people need a computer to do a small number of things: word processing, spread sheets, send e-mail, and access the internet. A few people out there such as engineers and graphic designers, et al, have more sophisticated needs.

But overall, what people need is a computer that boots up in the morning, works reliably for the duration of the work day, and requires as little maintenance and upgrade as possible. And between my three-year-old MacBook Pro and my daughters year-old HP, there is simply no comparison in terms of reliability for both operating system and hardware.

While the HP does indeed work, it never works perfectly. It is the death of a thousand cuts to one's productivity. Hey, five minutes here, ten minutes there, and you're looking at hours and hours of lost work time over the ownership of the machine.
My comments were based on the social aspects of Macs and Apple's target audience.

Quote:
Meanwhile, in the three years I've owned the laptop upon which I type this post, I have had one crash. One.
How many crashes have you had in the three years you've owned the laptop upon which you types that post again? Was it only one?

Quote:
So, in that sense, you absolutely proved my point. Instead of simply saying, "Golly, I prefer PCs and Macs and here's why," you felt the need to indulge in reverse snobbery instead, fulfilling some weird desire to establish superior technical creds.
Geez louise. I must've touched a sensitive button here.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:19 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valeeighty2 View Post
Oh wow!! I was just going to post something about this... you read my mind Antlered Chamataka.

So some of you know of my e-Harmony gift anyways... I am going through the motions, and I met this guy, we went on a coffee date, and towards the end he wants to exchange phone numbers, he hands me his iPhone and I type in my name and number and call myself, to have his.

First, I don't really like touch screen phones, they seem either too sensitive, or too tough, but my phone is a touch screen, is a little LG model, which I got for free this past march when I re-signed my contract with Verizon, that is why I got it, because it was free . Anyways...

He sees this and makes this weird face and says: "What? no iPhone?"
Me: "Nope, no iPhone"
Him: "We have got to get you an iPhone, it is so much easier to communicate, you can check your facebook on it, and tweeter, and text, and blah, blah, blah, blah"
Me: "No thanks, I am ok with my little phone"
Him: "Really? that is just boring"
Me: "You think so?"
Him: "Yeah, are you a technophobe or something?"
Me: "Not at all, I just can not justify the expense, when my little LG works just as great"
Him: "No way, that piece of crap will break in a heart bit" and I thought to myself: " I can guarantee this piece of crap won't be getting your phone calls "
Exactement. I run into these airheads on a daily basis. Again, I'm the kernel guy. My people tell me I was born with a silver computer gadget in my mouth. I programmed microprocessors in assembly language when these characters played fetch with their little doggies at the same age in their momma-built tree houses....... and here I am.... haplessly sitting and sucking on my iced coffee straws as some apple maniac goes over how technologically advanced I can be with a mac or whatever, unaware that there are a few apple products actually lying hidden inside my bag and back in my place.

I don't know... some demon possesses them and they feel like they want to thrust it on their co-habitants in the immediate vicinity. Sometimes it makes me wanna pull my hair out and actually hit them with a real apple, you know that old-fashioned uncool object some fruit vendors still sell wholesomely, like without a bite

I mean, I don't care if it's a better product, but I don't need why "your" life is so better with it. And most of the time, this parley comes in uninvited.

Dude walks in and starts yapping about some Apple product.

You deflect and speak about the weather.

He brings you back to his Apple product

Old 12-22-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Oh wow!! I was just going to post something about this... you read my mind Antlered Chamataka.

So some of you know of my e-Harmony gift anyways... I am going through the motions, and I met this guy, we went on a coffee date, and towards the end he wants to exchange phone numbers, he hands me his iPhone and I type in my name and number and call myself, to have his.

First, I don't really like touch screen phones, they seem either too sensitive, or too tough, but my phone is a touch screen, is a little LG model, which I got for free this past march when I re-signed my contract with Verizon, that is why I got it, because it was free . Anyways...

He sees this and makes this weird face and says: "What? no iPhone?"
Me: "Nope, no iPhone"
Him: "We have got to get you an iPhone, it is so much easier to communicate, you can check your facebook on it, and tweeter, and text, and blah, blah, blah, blah"
Me: "No thanks, I am ok with my little phone"
Him: "Really? that is just boring"
Me: "You think so?"
Him: "Yeah, are you a technophobe or something?"
Me: "Not at all, I just can not justify the expense, when my little LG works just as great"
Him: "No way, that piece of crap will break in a heart bit" and I thought to myself: " I can guarantee this piece of crap won't be getting your phone calls "
And, the women in my life have always accused me of bring an ass at some point. But even in the height of my assdom, never once did I put them down becoz of their personal belongings. I appreciated everything they had. While I can be a gadget geek, I can certainly appreciate if women aren't. Can't believe that guy engaged you in such a conversation. Weird

Old 12-22-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, because you are so simplistic about matters. If you had posed the question, "Why do people need to flash their bling?" then you would have gotten a much better set of answers. Instead, you chose to single out people who happen to buy one product. You might as well single out Windows users, Mercedes drivers, Starbucks customers, Rolex wearers, and Grey Goose drinkers. Snobbery is snobbery. Some people indulge in it as a way of reinforcing their withitness. But to make a blanket statement about Apple users is kind of ridiculous, even by your impressive standards.
Ok, I'll bite.

Never had a Mercedes guy come over and tell me, "Antlers, I have a Mercedes"

Or, the rolex guy, "Antlers, look, my Rolex"

Etc.,

But it always happens with people carrying white iThings. I will not be here saying these things if the damn thing isn't so prevalent

Old 12-22-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
And, the women in my life have always accused me of bring an ass at some point. But even in the height of my assdom, never once did I put them down becoz of their personal belongings. I appreciated everything they had. While I can be a gadget geek, I can certainly appreciate if women aren't. Can't believe that guy engaged you in such a conversation. Weird
I know right, dissapointing really, specially after an ok date, he seemed smart, funny, and seemed to have some common sense... *sigh*

Old 12-22-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Exactement. I run into these airheads on a daily basis. Again, I'm the kernel guy. My people tell me I was born with a silver computer gadget in my mouth. I programmed microprocessors in assembly language when these characters played fetch with their little doggies at the same age in their momma-built tree houses....... and here I am.... haplessly sitting and sucking on my iced coffee straws as some apple maniac goes over how technologically advanced I can be with a mac or whatever, unaware that there are a few apple products actually lying hidden inside my bag and back in my place.

I don't know... some demon possesses them and they feel like they want to thrust it on their co-habitants in the immediate vicinity. Sometimes it makes me wanna pull my hair out and actually hit them with a real apple, you know that old-fashioned uncool object some fruit vendors still sell wholesomely, like without a bite

I mean, I don't care if it's a better product, but I don't need why "your" life is so better with it. And most of the time, this parley comes in uninvited.

Dude walks in and starts yapping about some Apple product.

You deflect and speak about the weather.

He brings you back to his Apple product
YES!! what he doesn't know is that I have an entire slew of Mac products at home, I own shares with Apple for crying out loud!! I love the products, I am just not obsessed...

Old 12-22-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I know right, dissapointing really, specially after an ok date, he seemed smart, funny, and seemed to have some common sense... *sigh*
How old is the guy?

Old 12-22-2011, 09:13 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Thanks for hurling insults.

Geez louise. I must've touched a sensitive button here.
Well, given you were the one dishing them out, you sure can't take them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships