Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are iMacs and iPads mere status symbols?
Yes 12 26.67%
No 33 73.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 04:30 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times

Advertisements

Help me understand this, folks. And I'm sure you may have come across such characters in your lives - families, friends and co-workers. I've seen many a friendship gone sour and some sort of internal cold war brewing simply becoz I did not endorse his/her object of affection.

And this does not happen with other objects like a real apple LOL, a slice of cheese cake, sharing a pizza or even breaking someone's favourite desk decor. You're instantly forgiven and it's just a piece of Taj Mahal though it's marble, no harm done. But not when it comes to his/her apple device.

I'm gonna describe four instances:

1. Some people discussing Windows7. Apple dude comes by. "Oh you stupid windows users, full of viruses." Exerts his authority on how his mac runs faster than the velocity of light, away from any virus. That a virus cannot be written. So, we prove him wrong. We bring up google articles about people who have infected macs. In the end, it turns out into an all out war. He still refuses to give in and calls all windows users stupid and technologically retarded, cuts off communication - scientology technique

2. Dude justifies the need for an iPad. He tells others it's the biggest invention known to man. He scorns about how he doesn't touch anything without the apple logo on, even with a 10 feet pole. Becoz they are all so hi-tech and so slick. I personally brought up the antenna fiasco with the iPhone4 and how their testing team missed such a basic test case. Led to an all out war, and he does not speak to me anymore. I told him I'll stick to my blackberry coz it's more secure and almost all of corporate America uses it becoz it's more secure. His theory, it's becoz Apple is more expensive.

3. Dude sees my laptop and asks me if it's a Macbook Air. "No, it's a Dell". "Impossible, Dell can never make a computer so thin"

I show him the Dell logo. "Well, they plagiarized the design from Apple". And then I egged him on that its design is state of the art. He places my laptop back on my desk, pulls a tissue out of my tissue box and wipes his hand saying, "I touched a Dell"

Months later Apple releases the new Air which is of identical thickness to mine. He quickly sends me the link via email. "You laptop is not the thinnest anymore." I mean, I had totally forgotten about the affair, but this lunatic simply obsessed himself about proving me wrong.

4. You all know how the iPad has become a status symbol and people shove it in front of your faces, especially in public places. And if you noticed their behaviour carefully, you will witness how they are desperate to make sure that your attention was caught by their device. Anyone relates?

I mean, what's adding to the lunacy of these folks? I swear I see this behaviour with Apple products only. Surely I'm not the only guy withstanding this behaviour with the Apple fans They defend it like or more than they defend their son, daughter, loved one etc., Amazing and dumbfounding what a battery-powered device can achieve!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 04:34 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I heard this great joke...

Q: How do you know someone has an ipad?
A: They'll tell you.

Apple people are obnoxious. I can't even begin a conversation about computers without some mac user starting up about how if I had a mac, I wouldn't have this problem or that problem. Well, gee, what an effin' helpful comment.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:36 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Help me understand this, folks. And I'm sure you may have come across such characters in your lives - families, friends and co-workers. I've seen many a friendship gone sour and some sort of internal cold war brewing simply becoz I did not endorse his/her object of affection.

And this does not happen with other objects like a real apple LOL, a slice of cheese cake, sharing a pizza or even breaking someone's favourite desk decor. You're instantly forgiven and it's just a piece of Taj Mahal though it's marble, no harm done. But not when it comes to his/her apple device.

I'm gonna describe four instances:

1. Some people discussing Windows7. Apple dude comes by. "Oh you stupid windows users, full of viruses." Exerts his authority on how his mac runs faster than the velocity of light, away from any virus. That a virus cannot be written. So, we prove him wrong. We bring up google articles about people who have infected macs. In the end, it turns out into an all out war. He still refuses to give in and calls all windows users stupid and technologically retarded, cuts off communication - scientology technique

2. Dude justifies the need for an iPad. He tells others it's the biggest invention known to man. He scorns about how he doesn't touch anything without the apple logo on, even with a 10 feet pole. Becoz they are all so hi-tech and so slick. I personally brought up the antenna fiasco with the iPhone4 and how their testing team missed such a basic test case. Led to an all out war, and he does not speak to me anymore. I told him I'll stick to my blackberry coz it's more secure and almost all of corporate America uses it becoz it's more secure. His theory, it's becoz Apple is more expensive.

3. Dude sees my laptop and asks me if it's a Macbook Air. "No, it's a Dell". "Impossible, Dell can never make a computer so thin"

I show him the Dell logo. "Well, they plagiarized the design from Apple". And then I egged him on that its design is state of the art. He places my laptop back on my desk, pulls a tissue out of my tissue box and wipes his hand saying, "I touched a Dell"

Months later Apple releases the new Air which is of identical thickness to mine. He quickly sends me the link via email. "You laptop is not the thinnest anymore." I mean, I had totally forgotten about the affair, but this lunatic simply obsessed himself about proving me wrong.

4. You all know how the iPad has become a status symbol and people shove it in front of your faces, especially in public places. And if you noticed their behaviour carefully, you will witness how they are desperate to make sure that your attention was caught by their device. Anyone relates?

I mean, what's adding to the lunacy of these folks? I swear I see this behaviour with Apple products only. Surely I'm not the only guy withstanding this behaviour with the Apple fans They defend it like or more than they defend their son, daughter, loved one etc., Amazing and pathetic!
Steve Jobs lives on thru his products.....

Old 12-21-2011, 04:37 PM

You know, stan, I had that frenzy too in the first month I got the iPad. I'll admit it. But seeing other people's behaviour, I was ashamed of my frenzy. But at least I didn't blatantly show it off to peers and friends. I was addicted to playing with it and singing hymns for its design. But it gets old. But I still come across people, after two years since its release, who simply brag about it, when my iPad is only sitting inside my bag.

Do I have to tell them, "Ok, ok, I have it too, I understand"

Old 12-21-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Steve Jobs lives on thru his products.....
I love the man.

But I have to plagiarize Gandhi here

"I love Apple but not Apple users"

Old 12-21-2011, 04:39 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Once you go Mac, you never go back.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:41 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
I do know Gin will make you sin and Tequila is a known baby maker..

Old 12-21-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Maybe, but do you put windows users down?

I get put down all the time. And they don't even realize the fact that I was called a Unix/Linux bull in my youth and college. I did two semesters on kernels alone What qualifies the Apple fans to put me down? And I have a mac too. But I use windows more.

I tell ya, I have lost friends due to this.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:49 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Wrong. I have an Ipad but still have my ASUS Windows laptop to do heavy assignments. I LOVE the Ipad but still need the big gun laptop for school.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:06 PM

37,614 posts, read 45,996,704 times
I think it's a cult. I mean, walk by any Apple store...it's so thick in there you'd think that they were handing out money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships