U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:07 PM

19,020 posts, read 25,496,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ Workaholic!!
There's a question mark at the end. Perhaps why (s)he is proving himself/herself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 09:38 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,186,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
120 threads in a couple months. This installment is not bad
Interesting statistic, particularly since the post count works out to only less than three posts per thread. We have a thriving Threadaholic on board!

Old 12-31-2011, 02:10 AM

511 posts, read 2,078,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
120 threads in a couple months. This installment is not bad
I think I have made some interesting questions and additons to other people's posts but in general someone who is so eccentric to spend all their time in city data asking all these unusual questions is not going to be mainstream and part of the popular crowd. I find popular people are usually too normal for me, I prefer odd people as friends who don't try to be so normal!

Old 12-31-2011, 08:32 AM

663 posts, read 939,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic?;
I think I have made some interesting questions and additons to other people's posts but in general someone who is so eccentric to spend all their time in city data asking all these unusual questions is not going to be mainstream and part of the popular crowd. I find popular people are usually too normal for me, I prefer odd people as friends who don't try to be so normal!

I know what you mean by popular sometimes being 'too normal.' Not always, but often, those with many people they refer to as friends are so fixated on maintaining popularity they lose sight of what it means to be a friend. This goes along with maintaining all the other facades that may exist in their lives, like being completely normal, whatever that is anymore.

I also like people who aren't neurotically concerned with what the crowd is thinking, etc. Those types are often deemed as odd by the majority, because they don't use what other people think as their barometer for how well/not well things are going in their life.

A lot of social interaction, in general, exhausts me. I'm introverted so that has a lot to do with it. As a result, I have found myself wasting far less time on friendships with people I'm not compatible with, etc. Popularity is the least of my criteria when becoming friends. Depending on the reason for being popular, it may even make me think twice about getting to know them in the first place.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:50 PM

2,726 posts, read 4,504,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Are your friends popular with other people? Do they have lots of friends outside of you? Are they part of the in crowd? Are they social climbers?

In a moment of philosophizing I was thinking of the various people who have been friends through the years. My father used to say you can tell a lot about people by seeing who their friends are. Well my friends were never very popular with other people. In the office my work friends are usually the outcasts, the outsiders who are not popular with the in crowd. Outside of work, my friends are usually s"ocialable loners" who are talkative friendly people but not part of a large social circle because they are a bit odd and don't fit into the popular mainstream crowd. They are not going to have tons of friends. They only have a handful of friends who each of them are super close to each other.

So how about your friends? Do they have tons of friends themselves and are they the popular people? Do you have any friends whose only friend is you?
I would say that my friends are well liked by other people. If that makes them popular, then my answer is yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships