U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:58 AM

2,732 posts, read 3,089,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
You nailed it!!!! I am from Eastern Europe and I can see the difference. In Europe when you want to meet friends or dating people or don't want to date....everything is natural. We Europeans handle it differently. If we Europeans don't want to contact people anymore, we are more "direct" instead of going around the bush. In America if an European is interested in someone as a friend or dating we have to do it the American way otherwise we would be considered needy LOL even for a friend! If we Europeans are not interested in being a friend or more we have to act "fake" here in America . Here in America we have to lead that person on thinking what's going on because we are following American culture.

Gooooool!!! I scored, I got a friend or a date! and the reason is because I played the game and I challenged the Americans. In Europe is the opposite if you challenge with games they won't talk to you ever! From my point of view everything is kind of "arranged" or "set up" or I don't know what is the best word to describe it....maybe it's not natural, too much rules and too much games instead of being natural...but I still like America because of money LOL! This is my observations not to insult anybody and no need to read books just ask people from different culture it's more real and natural Thank you.
Yes, I agree with what you just wrote. It sounds similar to a person who I knew who was from Europe.

This person said that in Europe, relationships (down to having sex) just happen naturally and nothing feels forced or heavily structured around rules.

And yes, your right about all the games people play around here (i.e., not answering phone to appear busy, blowing people off, ect), people do it to not appear needy and emotional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 12:05 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,089,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePugx3 View Post
I know for me, I work long hours, 10+ a day. By the time the end of the work day shows up, I'm ready to go home. My kids are grown but my DH takes priority over friends.

And see, this is another problem with American culture; people work too many hours!

My god, 10 hours a day; you don't even have time for YOURSELF, let alone time for your husband.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:30 PM

370 posts, read 1,162,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
No kidding.^^

And how many of those people who bought a home can't even afford it? Or they can't afford the maintenance? Or they're upside down on their mortgage?

Regardless, everybody is a renter because nobody can escape the yearly property tax.
Sadly so many people are living in 1950...anyone who rents is automatically seen as 'scum'. It's again a joke how people judge others.

At one place we rented, our landlord sold the house to a real jerk. He was from another state and rather well off. He was so damn condescending to us and I had to see him from time to time because my job involved somewhere he was a member.

Long story short, we had to move once our lease was up. The guy came to do the walk through and he got to talking about something I mentioned I had a Masters Degree. He did a double take and was very confused.

(At the time I was working a job that did not require much education.)

Point is we need to STOP judging people. If the truth be told, most rich people don't go around flashing new cars and jewelry. They dress down and act 'regularly.' The same can be said for many of us working jobs to make money, not lording around our educations and hoping someday to 'be someone' just for status.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:12 PM

607 posts, read 1,057,465 times
To the OP, I've done it unintentionally, like I might want to hang out but stuff comes up so I end up not being able to or I just forget. I wouldn't say I wanted to hang out with someone if I didn't want to...that irks me too. I'd just say nice to see you.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:13 PM

663 posts, read 939,294 times
Quote:
And see, this is another problem with American culture; people work too many hours!

My god, 10 hours a day; you don't even have time for YOURSELF, let alone time for your husband.
It feels that way sometimes. I generally do get 3-day weekends; however, not this week .

Old 01-06-2012, 07:45 PM

8,004 posts, read 10,017,780 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree with what you just wrote. It sounds similar to a person who I knew who was from Europe.

This person said that in Europe, relationships (down to having sex) just happen naturally and nothing feels forced or heavily structured around rules.

And yes, your right about all the games people play around here (i.e., not answering phone to appear busy, blowing people off, ect), people do it to not appear needy and emotional.
Okay, personally, I don't see how this is related at all. I DO screen my calls. I DO blow people off, but on the other hand....I AM busy. Just because I have a telephone, it doesn't mean that I HAVE to answer it every time. It's why I have an answering machine.

In relation to this particular statement, I DO know a couple of people who are so lazy that they wouldn't dream of letting their answering machines pick up for them. You see, that way...when they spent the whole day doing nothing but talking on the telephone, they have a fabulous excuse for having accomplished nothing. The house is filthy, no dinner ready for their husbands, the kids are tearing the house apart and acting up because no adult is available. Their excuse? "The phone was ringing ALL day! I couldn't get a THING done!" Incidentally, those people are also extremely emotionally needy.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:57 PM

6,875 posts, read 6,953,826 times
MarysPoppins,

Maybe your old friend has changed and doesn't feel a connection to you anymore. Or maybe she's got a lot going on in her life already and doesn't want to feel "responsible" for helping you settle in (even though you didn't ask for that).

It's too bad because she is giving up a good friend. But just forget about her and try to make other friends. Who knows, maybe one day you'll receive a surprise and she'll give you a call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships