U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 04:33 PM

796 posts, read 1,114,848 times

Advertisements

I work for, or I should say did work, an EMS company that my brother's wife (my sister-in-law?) works for and helped me get the job. I was only part time so I only worked a few days a week, but I'm supposed to call in to see if they need my help for that day. Now, sense I'm part time, most of the time they don't need me. Today, I forgot to call in. I've been so wrapped up about so many things, it just slipped my mind.

Later this afternoon, my dad calls and tells me she called him and she is outraged. Well, she called everybody but me, until recently she just texted me a novel about how I screwed up her reputation at work.

While I'm upset because I totally forgot to call, I'm also frustrated that she threw this whole reputation card at me, as well as saying she'll never try to help me again. To be honest, I could really care less what she says or does. I don't think she's a bad person, but I don't have to like her because she's my brother's wife.

What should I do? I'm probably being over-dramatic, but there was no reputation to uphold here except for my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 04:38 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,244,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
I'm supposed to call in to see if they need my help for that day. Now, sense I'm part time, most of the time they don't need me. Today, I forgot to call in.
That seems like an odd setup anyway. Why couldn't they have called you, if they needed you? And if they didn't call by a certain time, you would know you were free for the day? That would make a lot more sense than having you call in, day after day, if they rarely need you.

As for your sister-in-law, just say you're sorry that you screwed up, and let it go. If she vouched for you, then her reputation was at stake to a certain degree, so she does deserve an apology.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:41 PM

4,649 posts, read 6,479,224 times
Have your brother handle it. Tell him he needs to check his wife. LOL... Tell her she ruined your reputation with your family members by her telling them about your mistake of forgetting to call...

Old 01-13-2012, 01:46 PM

31,627 posts, read 19,947,296 times
If they needed people that badly, they would have called all of you that are on the standby list. Considering they didn't.... it doesn't sound like there was a dire need and you left them high and dry.

I'm not sure why your SIL is so upset.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:12 PM

3,068 posts, read 5,318,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
That seems like an odd setup anyway. Why couldn't they have called you, if they needed you? And if they didn't call by a certain time, you would know you were free for the day? That would make a lot more sense than having you call in, day after day, if they rarely need you.

As for your sister-in-law, just say you're sorry that you screwed up, and let it go. If she vouched for you, then her reputation was at stake to a certain degree, so she does deserve an apology.
^^^ This. Tell her that it was a dumb setup to begin with and that you would recommend the opposite! Stupid setup in my opinion. Good riddance to that job opportunity. lol

Old 01-13-2012, 02:19 PM

3,713 posts, read 4,090,249 times
I'm curious, is she your boss? No? What does the boss say? Is he/she really as upset as the SIL? Was a big deal made by someone else that would cause her to think her reputation was on the line? I think there's a lot of over-reacting especially since, as others have stated, that the system is faulty. If this is the only time you've forgotten to call, I wouldn't think it's a big deal, given that you're rarely needed.

I would get information from my own boss first before speaking with her. Once you have that info, you can determine how to deal with her. Hopefully, you won't have to deal with her for long. I truly don't care for her calling your family and not you directly. For this I think, she is playing games.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:43 PM

2,495 posts, read 3,633,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
^^^ This. Tell her that it was a dumb setup to begin with and that you would recommend the opposite! Stupid setup in my opinion. Good riddance to that job opportunity. lol
It was indeed a very dumb set up and she is absolutely out of order for the way she acted. If i were the OP i'd ask my brother to talk to his wife about not ever repeating such a behavior in the future because the next time i wont be very nice in my response!

Old 01-13-2012, 04:53 PM

4,649 posts, read 6,479,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
It was indeed a very dumb set up and she is absolutely out of order for the way she acted. If i were the OP i'd ask my brother to talk to his wife about not ever repeating such a behavior in the future because the next time i wont be very nice in my response!
Let's be real. the brother is going to try to stay out of it. His wife could cut off the lovin and he probably don't want to hear about it. If my brother came to me with something like that I would just say don't worry about it..

I hope this isn't a sexist statement but with women there's always some kind of drama going on at the job they want to talk about..

Old 01-13-2012, 05:05 PM

16,018 posts, read 19,670,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
I work for, or I should say did work, an EMS company that my brother's wife (my sister-in-law?) works for and helped me get the job. I was only part time so I only worked a few days a week, but I'm supposed to call in to see if they need my help for that day. Now, sense I'm part time, most of the time they don't need me. Today, I forgot to call in. I've been so wrapped up about so many things, it just slipped my mind.

Later this afternoon, my dad calls and tells me she called him and she is outraged. Well, she called everybody but me, until recently she just texted me a novel about how I screwed up her reputation at work.

While I'm upset because I totally forgot to call, I'm also frustrated that she threw this whole reputation card at me, as well as saying she'll never try to help me again. To be honest, I could really care less what she says or does. I don't think she's a bad person, but I don't have to like her because she's my brother's wife.

What should I do? I'm probably being over-dramatic, but there was no reputation to uphold here except for my own.
Call your supervisor, apologize for not calling in like you normally do. Make up some lame excuse, you are not the first person that has forgotten something, and I am sure if there had been an emergency someone would have called you. Your SIL is on a power trip, and being really unprofessional if she is trying to call you out on a business related issue like this. Once you got the job, her part is done....the rest is on you. No worries, and your Dad needs to stop undermining your relationship w/ him by letting this person call him and talk about you to him....how crappy. She is not a nice person, and there is some agenda she has....Do your job, or find a differant one, but never use her for a reference again.
NOTE: Be warned, this type person usually continues drama like this forever. Unless you all sit her down and together talk to her, it may continue for so many things.

Last edited by JanND; 01-13-2012 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: added

Old 01-13-2012, 06:33 PM

2,726 posts, read 4,512,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post

^^This. I wouldn't go as far as saying that she deserves an apology considering how she behaved.

I would simply apologize and if she won't accept it then there is nothing more to be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships