Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 10:55 PM

535 posts, read 583,470 times

Advertisements

Can introverts really have fun alone?

Yes, it's a short question, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't think about it for at least an evenings worth.

Can being alone, doing something you enjoy really be fun? Or bring actual happiness to you?

Sure, you might enjoy being alone so you can relax, and gain energy again.. but even if you're doing something you love, say like golfing or pottery or cooking, can that really bring "happiness" to you?

I'm an introvert, and I don't think it can.

I believe that happiness only really comes from sharing an experience with another person/s. The more close you are with the other person/s , the more intense the happiness can be.

As we get older, it seems that EVERYONE has their guards up, for fear of letting too much information out, fear of hurt again, etc. Hard to make close friends anymore. As we get older, we understand that most people are only out for their own self interest. That most people have a lot of baggage they are hiding and are shameful and hide themselves.

How do introverts pursue happiness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 11:23 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,505,231 times
Yes, but I also enjoy sharing things with my wife.
A few years ago I went on vacation by myself to where I didn't know anyone and had a blast. The following year my wife & I went and still enjoyed it.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:47 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,163,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post
Can introverts really have fun alone?

Yes, it's a short question, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't think about it for at least an evenings worth.

Can being alone, doing something you enjoy really be fun? Or bring actual happiness to you?

Sure, you might enjoy being alone so you can relax, and gain energy again.. but even if you're doing something you love, say like golfing or pottery or cooking, can that really bring "happiness" to you?

I'm an introvert, and I don't think it can.

Okay..you say you are a true introvert..but this would mean...
. Basically, an introvert is a person who is energized by being alone and whose energy is drained by being around other people.

I believe that happiness only really comes from sharing an experience with another person/s. The more close you are with the other person/s , the more intense the happiness can be.
This is very contradictory of what you are?

As we get older, it seems that EVERYONE has their guards up, for fear of letting too much information out, fear of hurt again, etc. Hard to make close friends anymore. As we get older, we understand that most people are only out for their own self interest. That most people have a lot of baggage they are hiding and are shameful and hide themselves.
While what you posted above rings some truth this is not speaking for the masses...I do not know how old you are..I am 37...and an extrovert, even though I am aware that some have an agenda and will hide information that is part of who they are this DOES not stop me from making friends or seeking a relationship...
Growth happens at every stage and age in life...experiences make us wiser and often times we attend the school of hard knocks more than we care to admit...however we do not quit because it is not in our person to do so..

How do introverts pursue happiness?
I can isolate...and I do so however this does not make me an introvert it just means I need me time and I am okay being by myself..
hiking'
watching a sunset
online chess
catching a worthwhile indie film or documentary
working out
driving with no particular destination

Old 01-13-2012, 11:49 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,394,319 times
I am introverted, but hell yes, you can have fun by yourself!

Just because I am an introvert doesn't mean I don't like any human interaction at all. But I do have fun treating myself to lunch and a matinee, shopping, exercising, doing artwork, even rumpshaking when cleaning my house

Old 01-14-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
I am introverted, but hell yes, you can have fun by yourself!

Just because I am an introvert doesn't mean I don't like any human interaction at all. But I do have fun treating myself to lunch and a matinee, shopping, exercising, doing artwork, even rumpshaking when cleaning my house

Ok, sure, I guess those things can be "fun" and help you gain energy.

But do those things actually make you happy?

Being an introvert, there are probably many things over the years you've done alone. Say if you took a trip to a different city by yourself, or went on a great bike ride, or created a great painting.

And then you look back on it 2 years later... you probably, wouldn't of cared to remember the event, unless I brought it up to you now.

The times we remember, are those that involved people, normally of those times that caused us happiness or sadness. Where you shared great or bad experiences with others.

If you create a great painting, what good for your happiness would it be, to not show it to a friend that would appreciate it?

So, I guess, is the only way a MALE introvert can be happy is to become rich and seduce a naive 20 year old female into becoming his bride?

Female Introverts probably have it the best, b.c a lot of guys would love to have a wife that doesn't talk all the time about stupid superficial or emotional things. So they can go up a notch , whereas male introverts go down like 3 notches or more on the totem pole.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:28 AM

"Okay..you say you are a true introvert..but this would mean...
. Basically, an introvert is a person who is energized by being alone and whose energy is drained by being around other people."- dr74

I don't fully agree. I think introverts can gain energy from being around another person/s. As long as that person is someone they like and trust. I think probably most introverts want a few real close people in their life, and a lot will probably be BIG talkers around those people. I just think introverts mainly don't like being around people they don't like much or don't know well, they would rather sit in silence reading a book than be at a party.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:49 AM

461 posts, read 780,375 times
Quote: "So, I guess, is the only way a MALE introvert can be happy is to become rich and seduce a naive 20 year old female into becoming his bride?"

Huh, wha? How did you go from what you previously said to this? Is this about meeting more people to fulfill your life or finding a woman?

Quote: "Female Introverts probably have it the best, b.c a lot of guys would love to have a wife that doesn't talk all the time about stupid superficial or emotional things. So they can go up a notch , whereas male introverts go down like 3 notches or more on the totem pole."

LMAO! Once she knows the guy, she'll dump all her crap on him like any other woman. Yeah, so be prepared if you want a woman in your life to talk about the stupid, superficial, emotional things. You do know this is not a good attitude to have whilst looking for a woman? Maybe switch to men, it suits your personality better. You can just grunt at each other.

What's your real point to your post? Wanna make friends, find a partner? You don't have to be an extroverted lout to do so. Just use what you've said in your posts as a motivation. Everyone has to make an effort to get what they want in life. Job opportunities won't knock on your door begging you to work for them nor will what you want in your personal life.
The problem with introverts is their prejudice view lacking concrete evidence of everyone else. And I'm supposed to be an introvert according to meyers/brigg but never had a problem dealing with people. The shy people have the biggest delusional view of the rest of the population. Try joining us instead of judging from a distance.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:53 AM

663 posts, read 1,078,760 times
Very introverted and I'm not dependent on others for my happiness or fun. I'm also married to an introvert who is the same way, perhaps a bit more outgoing than I am. I am not energized much at all by being around others, I find it very draining.

You pose this question in a black and white fashion when it isn't a B&W topic . Think of a spectrum; introversion on the left and extroversion on the right. Maybe you fall somewhere in the middle, maybe I fall much closer to the left. DR74 is correct on the definition of an introvert. Perhaps you are not as introverted as you think.

I certainly could go somewhere alone and do something, and remember it later on. Maybe you can't, but that's you....not everyone else.

What does seducing a 20yo have anything to do with this?

Old 01-14-2012, 01:03 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,837,689 times
I absolutely love taking walks all alone. It truly is an experience for me. I do it frequently. Love it and I don't need anyone with me to love it.

Other things I like to do alone are read...or watch something truly silly that I would be embarrassed to have anyone else in the world see me watching...or taking a bath, ahhhhhhhh.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:08 AM

663 posts, read 1,078,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrevenge;
Quote: "So, I guess, is the only way a MALE introvert can be happy is to become rich and seduce a naive 20 year old female into becoming his bride?"

Huh, wha? How did you go from what you previously said to this? Is this about meeting more people to fulfill your life or finding a woman?

Quote: "Female Introverts probably have it the best, b.c a lot of guys would love to have a wife that doesn't talk all the time about stupid superficial or emotional things. So they can go up a notch , whereas male introverts go down like 3 notches or more on the totem pole."

LMAO! Once she knows the guy, she'll dump all her crap on him like any other woman. Yeah, so be prepared if you want a woman in your life to talk about the stupid, superficial, emotional things. You do know this is not a good attitude to have whilst looking for a woman? Maybe switch to men, it suits your personality better. You can just grunt at each other.

What's your real point to your post? Wanna make friends, find a partner? You don't have to be an extroverted lout to do so. Just use what you've said in your posts as a motivation. Everyone has to make an effort to get what they want in life.
Job opportunities won't knock on your door begging you to work for them nor will what you want in your personal life.
The problem with introverts is their prejudice view lacking concrete evidence of everyone else. And I'm supposed to be an introvert according to meyers/brigg but never had a problem dealing with people. The shy people have the biggest delusional view of the rest of the population. Try joining us instead of judging from a distance.

Because shy and introverted have nothing to do with the other. That's a big misconception about introverts. The difference between an introvert and an extrovert is how they gain energy; shy or not shy has nothing to do with it. Introverts need time alone to recharge, extroverts gain their energy by being social, spending time around others.

I am not shy and have no problem whatsoever dealing with people....it just wears me out. I am very much an introvert (ISTJ).

Prejudice view lacking concrete evidence of everyone else? I guess I don't know what that means, but ok???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships