U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-25-2012, 07:49 AM

8,611 posts, read 9,986,251 times

Advertisements

It cost $40 to get a haircut in Brooklyn, NY ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 07:53 AM

6,420 posts, read 5,597,318 times
He did use you a little to get some money out of you. You can still feel good about yourself, because you were trying to help who you thought was a friend. Still, don't be fooled when he comes back again. I suspect he will eventually be calling you again when he needs some more money, knowing you gave some before.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:00 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,230,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Be glad it was only forty bucks and not four hundred, or four thousand.
Just consider it a parting gift.
Totally agree ^^

We had "friends" that we let rent our house. Fast forward to today, we have a judgement against him for non-payment of rent in the amount of $6,600 and change. Still haven't gotten the money and now had to hire an attorney to attach his wages

Call this a life lesson learned. Never loan money or go into any kind of business deal with "friends" or family. It usually always comes back to bite you in the A**.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:23 AM

579 posts, read 534,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karianne View Post
Just let it go. He may have scammed you or he may just be embarrassed to talk to you because he can't pay you back. If he is a scammer you will probably hear from him again when he needs more money. A scammer is unlikely to leave before the well is dry. If he is just embarrassed you may hear from him when he gets the money to pay you back. I have found it better to give a gift rather than a loan just to avoid awkwardness.
I completely agree.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:41 AM

19,022 posts, read 14,511,832 times
40 bucks??

40??

I use 40 bucks to light my cigarette up

Geez. Some people! 40 bucks between "friends" is nothing. Some of my friends owe me more than 1000 coz they got under the water in this economy. I haven't spoken one single word to this day. That's why they will always spread the word - "Dude's the most awesome guy"

I have this concept. Never lend. Never borrow. But when asked, part with it. Do not expect back. That's the reason God's put you in a position to give and them in a position to borrow. But be warned, if you are ever in a position where you need money, all these friends will disappear. Don't ask me why. That's how the world works.

As a corollary, if you are so concerned of repayment, never lend. Simple.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:13 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,458,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
40 bucks??

40??

I use 40 bucks to light my cigarette up

Geez. Some people! 40 bucks between "friends" is nothing. Some of my friends owe me more than 1000 coz they got under the water in this economy. I haven't spoken one single word to this day. That's why they will always spread the word - "Dude's the most awesome guy"

I have this concept. Never lend. Never borrow. But when asked, part with it. Do not expect back. That's the reason God's put you in a position to give and them in a position to borrow. But be warned, if you are ever in a position where you need money, all these friends will disappear. Don't ask me why. That's how the world works.

As a corollary, if you are so concerned of repayment, never lend. Simple.
Couldnt agree more.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:24 AM

2,333 posts, read 4,081,184 times
Never let friends or family borrow money. That should be a life rule. If you do it, just be sure you understand that you may not ever see the money again.

With that, when a family member comes to me to "borrow" money (and they have), depending on how much they want I say, "$200? Sure, I need my living room/hallway painted" or whatever miscellaneous work that they can do to earn the money. They'll grudgingly accept but let me tell you... no one has asked me for money again once that story circulated.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:56 PM

7,161 posts, read 5,440,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
It cost $40 to get a haircut in Brooklyn, NY ?
No, LOL. I gave all the cash I had on me. Which was $40. Figured he would need it. $12 on average out here.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:07 PM

525 posts, read 677,311 times
you're losing sleep and stressing over $40.00? Just think of it as a good-bye gift and cut ties with him if it was that big of a deal

Old 01-25-2012, 02:20 PM

7,161 posts, read 5,440,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
you're losing sleep and stressing over $40.00? Just think of it as a good-bye gift and cut ties with him if it was that big of a deal
The disappointment hurts. I though we were going to be like brothers again. Thought he would be back in my life on a regular basis. My fondest memories exist with him and his family. Almost 30 years knowing someone is a long time. Every day i get up, And hope he calls despite me wanting to move on if he is gone for good.

My family is very small, And lives far away in Las Vegas and I am closer to my friends cause I was orphaned very young. This is nothing negative against my own family. They were never here though. Always moving around. Florida, New Mexico, California, and finally settled in Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships