Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:37 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,333,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
No, I think you are missing the point....it's the people that were doing the ridiculing that need to grow the f up not the other way around.
Yep, pretty much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 07:39 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
That is why I do not go to the gym, I am there to workout, not to be judged or listen to others being judged. It happens too much.
I also hate when guys check you out when working out, seriously!!!
I have been on leg machines where your legs are spread apart and you pull them together over and over, and there are guy's standing acrross from me smiling and clearly checking me out, on more than one occasion over the years
I HATE THAT MORE THAN ANYTHING AT THE GYM.
Man I'm not that creepy. I know I check women out just as much as the next guy, but I'm NOT going to stand there and watch you spread your legs! Damn that's just wrong!

Old 01-25-2012, 08:31 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkAquarius View Post
you were probably thinking if she sticks to working out she'l look a whole lot better.
Damn right. She had a cute face.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:55 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,432 times
Lightbulb And Conversely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
People are openly ridiculed constantly, for a wide variety of things. If you buckle anytime you get your little feelings hurt, you'll never be successful at anything.

If you don't want to hear the insults, turn up your headphones.
That outlook is BS...I have a lifelong habit of dealing with people like that directly---as in getting in their faces and asking what the expletive they think is so funny...

People have the right to work out at the gym if they so choose, without being subjected to a bunch of mouth from a few pea-brained d***less wonders

Turn up your headphones, my a**...they try that mess with me, they get one warning...then the next time, they will be residents of a new state---Unconsciousness

I can't speak for others here, but I can tell you for a fact I ain't havin' it...I am direct and to the point, and I do not play...if I am in a gym, I am there for the express purpose of working out, and trying to improve myself, not to be the subject of amateur stand-up comedians...I would strongly suggest anyone who feels inclined to insult me, or anyone with me, carry a mouthguard and have good health insurance, because if I hear fat-mouthing in MY direction, and I don't like what I hear, then I'm going to handle my business in short order...end of story

Old 01-25-2012, 11:41 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,177 times
I have two points to make on this thread.

We all should have equal access to gyms in an attempt to either stay healthy or get there------people who go to gyms are underweight, overweight, or about normal standards. Anybody who goes to work out at a gym should be applauded, and not be snickered at due to physical attributes. A lot of us fight the constant weight battle, and dont need to be dissed due to our current weight.

Regarding attractive men and women going to the gym---it is simply an element of coed gyms. Its human nature to briefly look and admire-----it is not rational or acceptable to stare or salivate. Conduct yourselves with decency and respectability----brief looks ok, staring not ok.

Last edited by jefffla01; 01-26-2012 at 12:06 AM..

Old 01-25-2012, 11:56 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
That outlook is BS...I have a lifelong habit of dealing with people like that directly---as in getting in their faces and asking what the expletive they think is so funny...
It's not for everyone, but this is my approach as well. And for some reason, the gym really brings it out in me. I have chastised unsupervised kids running around, playing on the machines; asked 2 men on different occasions why they felt comfortable turning the TV channel without asking if anyone was watching what was on (because people obviously were watching it); asked a woman why she thinks everyone in the gym wants to listen to her phone conversation while she works out; and verbally disciplined two teenage boys who were making fun of a fat man behind his back.

I'm sure some at the gym (and probably here *LOL*) think I'm a real *itch and I'm totally comfortable with that because frankly when it's all said and done, if I don't say something, I feel like my silence ok's their bad behavior. And I don't mean that people who are disgusted by bad behavior and don't say anything are automatically condoning that behavior. It's just that it eats at me if I don't say anything. So, at this point, I just put it out there and let the chips fall because I have yet to regret doing so.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:14 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,432 times
Lightbulb Please...Do Us All A Favor...

Mod cut: Orphaned.

I'm going to repeat my opinion on the topic of this thread, for you and anyone else who didn't get it:

I will go to the gym and work out if I please, and I will not tolerate people who see the need to make jokes about me and others...if you try that mess with me, I will 'deal with' you straight up and direct, and it won't be pretty...

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-26-2012 at 09:36 AM..

Old 01-26-2012, 07:31 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
Sure, having people judge others out in public is going to happen. It also does help sometimes for people to have a thick skin and let the comments just roll off their back.

However, the fact such behavior exists is no reason to justify it, or just tolerate it. It is inappropriate, and people should not be subject to it, whether it happens or not.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:53 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
It's not for everyone, but this is my approach as well. And for some reason, the gym really brings it out in me. I have chastised unsupervised kids running around, playing on the machines; asked 2 men on different occasions why they felt comfortable turning the TV channel without asking if anyone was watching what was on (because people obviously were watching it); asked a woman why she thinks everyone in the gym wants to listen to her phone conversation while she works out; and verbally disciplined two teenage boys who were making fun of a fat man behind his back.

I'm sure some at the gym (and probably here *LOL*) think I'm a real *itch and I'm totally comfortable with that because frankly when it's all said and done, if I don't say something, I feel like my silence ok's their bad behavior. And I don't mean that people who are disgusted by bad behavior and don't say anything are automatically condoning that behavior. It's just that it eats at me if I don't say anything. So, at this point, I just put it out there and let the chips fall because I have yet to regret doing so.
I want to go to your gym!! So many people are so rude that I want to go to one with an enforcer

Old 01-26-2012, 11:42 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
I want to go to your gym!! So many people are so rude that I want to go to one with an enforcer
Oh, there are a ton of entitled a-holes at my gym for sure. But plenty of nice people as well. In fact after I gave the teenage boys a verbal smacking, an elderly man came up to me and said, "I just love a fiery red head." *LOL*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships