U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Can an alpha male be a nice guy?
No - except in rare circumstances 23 35.38%
Yes - it happens commonly, not rarely 42 64.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 02:39 PM

14,424 posts, read 11,966,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well said

Alpha males are not "the enemy" some of these betamanlets, self described "nice guys", and angry young men want to portray them to be.

But hey, I guess they've got to have somebody to focus on or they might actually have to look at themselves and what THEY could be doing to lead happier lives. It's so much easier to be a victim or play the blame game

Ehh, who cares what a bitter follower has to say anyways. They'll never raise their voice or do anything for themselves, just let people push them around. Should be the least of anyone's worries. Let them sit in the corner while the rest of the world passes them by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 02:46 PM

10,852 posts, read 9,359,376 times
I come back two days later and this thread is still going?

Lame.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:47 PM

5,926 posts, read 2,157,161 times
No, the reason we are disagreeing is that I'm going by the actual definition of the term "alpha male" and others are making their own definitions.

I typed in "dictionary.com" and that led me to this site:

Alpha male | Define Alpha male at Dictionary.com

If you scroll down, it ALSO defines an "alpha male" as domineering.

And "overbearing" and "tyrannical" are pretty not-so-nice adjectives as well...

Old 02-10-2012, 02:51 PM

10,852 posts, read 9,359,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
No, the reason we are disagreeing is that I'm going by the actual definition of the term "alpha male" and others are making their own definitions.

I typed in "dictionary.com" and that led me to this site:

Alpha male | Define Alpha male at Dictionary.com

If you scroll down, it ALSO defines an "alpha male" as domineering.

And "overbearing" and "tyrannical" are pretty not-so-nice adjectives as well...
Great, so you apparently lack critical thinking skills.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:13 PM

9,400 posts, read 7,496,054 times
Well this is what the OED says

Quote:
alpha male n. Animal Behaviour the dominant male animal in a single-sex social group; (in extended use, sometimes with humorous or depreciative connotations) a man tending to assume a dominant or domineering role in social or professional situations, or thought to possess the qualities and confidence for leadership.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:29 PM

3,974 posts, read 2,064,838 times
Default Definitions

Quote:
Here's a word for you to look up: OBTUSE

Old 02-10-2012, 03:31 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,770,028 times
People just use words to mean whatever they want and add connotations, regardless of the original source or whatever was intended at the phrase's origin. It's how we communicate in general. Everyone does it.
No word or phrase that arouses our emotions can remain detached of what we think of it.

You have to jump through hoops and read between the lines as to what people are trying to convey.

It's all word games, really. If you make up a definition for a thing, by the time you'd have finished jotting it down, someone has ran with it and added their own connotations.

What's a "wise guy"? Oh, that's not the same thing as a guy who's wise, is it?
What's a "nice guy"? Oh not the same as a nice guy right?
What's a "tough guy"? Not really a tough guy, huh?

Ya don't park on a parkway do you? And a hamburger has no ham, but a cheeseburger does, and it ain't a person from Hamburg.

I couldn't care less, could I? Or could I care less? Or am I careless?

The less I care.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:35 PM

9,400 posts, read 7,496,054 times
hamburgers were invented in hamburg, yo

Old 02-10-2012, 04:34 PM

16,454 posts, read 15,252,942 times
Hey guys it's Friday night. All you complainers need to get together and go somewhere for an umbrella drink and sushi. That is if you can agree on where to go. If you have an alpha friend let him make the decision. Then complain that he's too bossy and domineering.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:36 PM

24,693 posts, read 17,437,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
People just use words to mean whatever they want and add connotations, regardless of the original source or whatever was intended at the phrase's origin. It's how we communicate in general. Everyone does it.
No word or phrase that arouses our emotions can remain detached of what we think of it.

You have to jump through hoops and read between the lines as to what people are trying to convey.

It's all word games, really. If you make up a definition for a thing, by the time you'd have finished jotting it down, someone has ran with it and added their own connotations.

What's a "wise guy"? Oh, that's not the same thing as a guy who's wise, is it?
What's a "nice guy"? Oh not the same as a nice guy right?
What's a "tough guy"? Not really a tough guy, huh?

Ya don't park on a parkway do you? And a hamburger has no ham, but a cheeseburger does, and it ain't a person from Hamburg.

I couldn't care less, could I? Or could I care less? Or am I careless?

The less I care.
PREE-cisely. 90% of arguments could be solved by defining what we're saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships