U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Can an alpha male be a nice guy?
No - except in rare circumstances 23 35.38%
Yes - it happens commonly, not rarely 42 64.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2012, 03:48 PM

188 posts, read 112,106 times
Look at Achilles. Achilles was clearly a alpha male, so is the fearless knight Lancelot from the movie First Knight (1995) with Richard Gere.

Last edited by Mr. Freak; 02-09-2012 at 04:47 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 04:41 PM

73 posts, read 58,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
The whole alpha/beta concept in humans is minimal to non-existent. The reason being is even the betaiest(if that's a word) of males usually reproduce. The same can't be said with other species.
Throughout human history eighty percent of women have reproduced, but only forty percent of men did. The heirarchy does exist in humans but it's not quite the same as animals in the wild, probably due to the parental investment required that led to monogamous marriage.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:47 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,874,040 times
you can be have a nice demeanor but the key to being "alpha" is remaining indifferent.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:58 PM

73 posts, read 58,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
People like Ramirez are cowards and wastes of life, and the women who throw themselves at guys like that generally have a few screws loose.
on average men who are incarcerated have more children than men who aren't, so lots of women must have loose screws or they see risk taking behavior as alpha regardless of the nobility of the man himself.
Why does he have to be a standup guy? Gengis Khan was probably the most alpha man in history, 1 in 3 or 1 in 6 (can't remember) europeans are his genetic lineage.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:18 PM

889 posts, read 611,246 times
I have a funny story about this. Our culture has a way of emasculating men into sensitive "betas" and many of us were too gullible to realize this. You see it on television/movies/commercials, or if there isn't a good father figure in the home young men are prone to emulate the "artificial male". This is the manufactured identity that our society wants us to behave.

My story is that I fell for this hook, line, and sinker. I used to be that guy who would willfully agree to women. Totally suck up to them, and it's usually the narcissistic condescending liar types that say one thing and do the opposite. Of course, being blinded by lust/love/stupidity allows one to rationalize that "hey it's okay if she doesn't want me, but what if I do this for her?" The cycle is that "betas" subconciously attract the wrong type of women because they would be the ones to give men attention they desperately crave and then take advantage of them later on. I've attracted all sorts of bad women because I used my fear of rejection to actually pursue, I suppose being rejected in many rude and sinister ways possible would make any guy not want to give into the chase. People can't sympathize because they either never had that problem, or found positive ways to cope.

Eventually we get called bitter and to man up when we complain, and of course complaining about it only makes us appear weaker and even deeper into beta territory. What sucks about the beta lifestyle is that we are forced in situations that it would take serious consequences to dig out of. Bulled at school? Fight the alpha and face suspension/expelled and fail HS. Bully at work? Chances are the bully is in management or has a strong network so you risk losing your job. I could go on, but the fact is that today's "alpha" rarely made his way to the top with risk and hard work, but off the backs of other betas and family security. So the deck is already stacked on who is born alpha and beta anyway.

Well, years later after FINALLY realizing alot of this, and taking years off the dating rat race began the change. I call this the indifference period. No more fishing for compliments, no more agreeing, no more chivalry, no more caring of what other people think. Somewhere I became this person that just, stopped, caring. Didn't want to offend, but would backtalk anyone that would try to start something... and more and more they would back off or not talk to me anymore. Sure, it would lead to confrontations but just that feeling of not caring really distilled that annoying fear and conscience(sp?) that would tell me to back down. I treat men and women the same, can freely disagree with them and didn't care if it came into an argument... and oddly enough, and this part took time... respect rolled in. Sure they would hate me, but at the same time they'd respect me. It's not overnight, but it will take years to wipe the stench and reputation of being a beta off your record. Sometimes people move away for a fresh start, or physically assault their tormenters to get the message across but once people notice you refuse to back down on your ideals, they'll respect you. Sure you'll come off as a jerk, but in reality you literally have to break a few bad eggs to make an omelet.

Most alphas I've seen don't have their lives together, many have failed marriages or rely on family fortune to get by. Rather than feeling the sting of rejection, consider what life would of been like of you "won her heart" so to speak, would it really of been that beautiful? Once a man gets older and wiser and see how people really are you'd be glad you didn't give in. Peace of mind is priceless.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 PM

24,693 posts, read 15,670,187 times
Why are so many people saying that alpha men are only concerned about doing what's RIGHT? Where did that come from? I guess it's fair enough you are defending them...I suppose aspiring alphas, some of whom become alphas, is more what I had in mind, not just naturally respectable, assertive people. There's this myth in American culture that being strong and assertive means somehow being more moral.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:41 PM

Great story Crackpot. It's true many men will put up with practically abusive women just for the attention and the sex. They are letting her dominate, so to speak, whereas I feel alpha males, even if they naturally appear nice, have an innate drive to dominate. Those type A personalities who become bosses, managers, governors, presidents (well women as well as men, but this discussion is about alpha males) are usually not the totally sensitive, empathetic types that women are stereotyped to be (which is a HUGE stereotype).

Old 02-09-2012, 05:44 PM

14,243 posts, read 11,116,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Why are so many people saying that alpha men are only concerned about doing what's RIGHT? Where did that come from? I guess it's fair enough you are defending them...I suppose aspiring alphas, some of whom become alphas, is more what I had in mind, not just naturally respectable, assertive people. There's this myth in American culture that being strong and assertive means somehow being more moral.

You're taking this way too seriously man... this is like asking "are self confident people bad?"

There are just as man "bad" alpha males as there are betas who hate the world and hope everyone fails.

You live how you want to live, if you want to be everyone's doormat, by all means live that way, no one cares.... but don't start threads asking if confident people are bad..... it just makes you look dumb.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
You're taking this way too seriously man... this is like asking "are self confident people bad?"

There are just as man "bad" alpha males as there are betas who hate the world and hope everyone fails.

You live how you want to live, if you want to be everyone's doormat, by all means live that way, no one cares.... but don't start threads asking if confident people are bad..... it just makes you look dumb.
Yeah I admit I didn't put much thought into this thread...but you probably get my gist.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:58 PM

14,243 posts, read 11,116,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah I admit I didn't put much thought into this thread...but you probably get my gist.

There is nothing to get about a gist... it is like me opening a thread and asking if asian people are jerks.

What would you respond? Some yes, some no.. Is there really anything more to say?

Then what would you say if I followed that question up again and said, well compare them to white people, are asians bigger jerks than whites?

Your response will still be, that is something you can't answer.

You ask questions that are mere generalizations that cannot be answered.. that's the point most of us are making here..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships