U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 01:49 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
DH responded to J this morning, saying;

"Families are difficult aren't they? We love you all and would love to see you the weekend of the 25th. "

So far no response.

This is her final chance with DH trying to be nice about it. If she comes back with another passive aggressive response then he will lay it on the line.
At least he is 100% sticking to his guns about her not being able to come next weekend.

I hope she does respond to this more positively or I think we will both lose a lot of respect for her which would be a shame.

Thanks so much for all the responses!

Good for your husband

Keep us posted no how it works out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 04:55 PM

3,490 posts, read 7,365,540 times
Well we got no response from J all day.

We did however just get a text from DH's Dad saying that J called him today (surprise, surprise) and asked him why we "changed our mind about her coming over".

Apparently he told her that B said she wouldn't come if J was there.
The text (to us) also said that he's tired of being in the middle of them.... which is amusing given that he put himself there!

We responded to him telling him that we NEVER said she could come over this weekend, we ONLY said the weekend of the 25th, but she just wouldn't take no for an answer.

So this is exactly what we thought would happen - B now gets the blame and J gets to be all angry at her (and apparently with DH).

We're over it. We gave J every possibility to take the following weekend. At this point if she chooses not to come and continues the 'silent treatment', I think we will decide that we don't need that kind of negativity around us at the minute.

Unbelievable.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:00 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
Well we got no response from J all day.

We did however just get a text from DH's Dad saying that J called him today (surprise, surprise) and asked him why we "changed our mind about her coming over".

Apparently he told her that B said she wouldn't come if J was there.
The text (to us) also said that he's tired of being in the middle of them.... which is amusing given that he put himself there!

We responded to him telling him that we NEVER said she could come over this weekend, we ONLY said the weekend of the 25th, but she just wouldn't take no for an answer.

So this is exactly what we thought would happen - B now gets the blame and J gets to be all angry at her (and apparently with DH).

We're over it. We gave J every possibility to take the following weekend. At this point if she chooses not to come and continues the 'silent treatment', I think we will decide that we don't need that kind of negativity around us at the minute.

Unbelievable.
So now that you have evidence just how manipulative Aunt J is, you don't give her the chance to play you.

Advise your husband to hold her accountable. Next time she gets in touch he needs to let her know he knows she twisted his words and tried to get his dad all worked up. He should be blunt with her and tell her games are for kids and he's not playing

Old 02-12-2012, 05:33 PM

5,703 posts, read 16,132,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
So now that you have evidence just how manipulative Aunt J is, you don't give her the chance to play you.

Advise your husband to hold her accountable. Next time she gets in touch he needs to let her know he knows she twisted his words and tried to get his dad all worked up. He should be blunt with her and tell her games are for kids and he's not playing
^^^^agree. I have been dealing these types for 20 yrs. I almost think we might be related OP.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:38 PM

43,430 posts, read 52,425,333 times
The answer is...let your husband deal with it. Just go along with whatever he says. And if there is backlash or whatever, HE deals with that, too.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:39 AM

19,020 posts, read 25,479,170 times
50$ or equivalent Bed, bath and body works gift card for every wife who stops saying DH.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:47 AM

25,828 posts, read 32,811,546 times
Quote:
DH responded to J this morning, saying;

"Families are difficult aren't they? We love you all and would love to see you the weekend of the 25th. "

So far no response.

This is her final chance with DH trying to be nice about it. If she comes back with another passive aggressive response then he will lay it on the line.
At least he is 100% sticking to his guns about her not being able to come next weekend.

I hope she does respond to this more positively or I think we will both lose a lot of respect for her which would be a shame.

Thanks so much for all the responses!
Do you guys typically do most of your communicating by texts? I just find that to be really odd. Maybe if you talked on the phone more, you could come to a better understanding of each other?

Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Any tips on how to difuse this situation & appease J's obvious annoyance with DH (because nothing is ever her brother's fault, EVER)?
HK, I'll give you my perspective and give you a good response (for a change) coz you deserve one and only becoz it's your thread, though I primarily troll these forums merely for comical relief

I have a huge family and I've always been the lone "nice" guy, who has good relations with every family member. Primarily coz they all look up to me as the one who has made it, and in turn, I find their adulation to me appealing. Naturally, I've had to work through their various animosities and such.

If I were in your husband's position, I'll call J and tell her how much a beyotch B is and literally agree with her as to how much of a better person J is... but also cite that this is one instance where I prefer that my Dad comes to be with me at such a great time along with his wife, who never accompanies him but surprisingly does, and that am doing J a favour by avoiding unnecessary friction between J and B on the eve of such an auspicious event in "my house" with a baby on the way.

I'll also promise J to pull my Dad separately after this visit for a beer summit with aunt J without step momma B. Later I can or cannot keep the promise.

Cut J out, but cut her out so that she sees value in being cut out

Old 02-13-2012, 08:58 AM

I remember a similar incident where I cut an aunt out of a family affair, she was so angry, but what I did next made her completely forget everything.

I went to her house. I knelt before her for forgiveness. Then I lifted her and circulated her house three times carrying her, as she was laughing. An obvious reference to a hindu God who did this penance for having disrespected a parent. Though all of us are catholics. She was less than 30 pounds overweight and was like 5 1, which made my job easier.

I left the neighborhood like a champ and she still loves me. Nothing works like an apology. Whether it's since or not.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:25 AM

3,490 posts, read 7,365,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Do you guys typically do most of your communicating by texts? I just find that to be really odd. Maybe if you talked on the phone more, you could come to a better understanding of each other?
J won't answer the phone and DH's Dad can't talk about it when B is there.
DH spoke to his Dad about it several times before he received yesterday's text.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships